Old 03-13-2008, 08:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
PALM SPRINGS , California
Travelers with cats

We are counting the hours until we pick up our airstream....although i understand weather in Utah is not great now - anybody in Orem or close.
We will (not this time) be traveling with our 2 cats - those that do travel with their pets - do you keep them in a container in the car - cat's certainly like leashes ( nor do we) but they are declawed and we fear that the escape factor is likely to be huge - any suggestions about anything for absolutely new airstream owners (picking up Sunday) and the future of traveling with cat's - we really want to use our airstream......it's a 1997 25' Safari - have no idea about anything to watch for, any oddities to this trailer - thanks, al scottfree

Old 03-13-2008, 08:43 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
We used a small pet crate for our cat. In it I placed a small bowl about 1/4 full of water. When we stopped for food/fuel/restroom, we would take the cat in the crate into the trailer, shut the door, and allow him to wander around the trailer. I placed the litterbox in the tub.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
We travel withh 3 cats. Two ride in carriers on the back seat of the extended cab truck. I have a wedge cushion to go under the rear of the carriers and I have a nylon strap that I run through both carrier handles and pull up snug. The carriers are nice and level and don't lurch forward on stops.

The 3rd cat has traveled since she was a kitten and she rides on a pad on the between-seat console. She is perfectly behaved and knows not to get under my feet. That cat, a Japanese Bobtail, won first place cat at the Airstream International in Springfield.

I have the 28 with the pass-thru bathroom and there is plenty of room for the litter box. I just have to move it forward about a foot to open the shower door. In my 25, I kept the litter box in the shower since that shower had an accordion door and could be left open.

We really enjoy the company of our cats when on the road.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
If you don't already have them micro chipped or tattooed that would be a for sure to me. If they do happen to escape you'd want to get them back ASAP. And a collar with your cell # you have with you, or a contact back home you know will be around to check VM and who can then find you to tell you where to go get your kitty.

Carriers are great. Stuff happens on the road and having one scared, hurt and getting away is our biggest fear.

Others let theirs ride free. We just couldn't do that, be it dog or cat. I've seen a few accidents where the mark on the inside of the windshield tells the story about what happened to the pet.

Barry

Barry
Old 03-13-2008, 09:17 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bertram , Texas
Ya can't teach old dogs...err cats new tricks...yes you can. We traveled cross country several times. Started out with the cat in the carrier and she howled relentlessly for the first day or so, but she managed to talk her way out of that after a while. We were not running a normal combo back then but were traveling in a Ford Econoline towing a cabin cruiser. The van had bunks and a front cabin wall. She started out being quite edgy, but ended up traveling with ease for almost twenty years. She had company later on. (We are a mixed mammel family We did eventually teach her to wear a harness (did not trust a coller) and she got pretty comfortable with that. Probably not acceptable today, but she and her travel mates did travel in our SOB quite nicely. We would stop and find them comfortably cuddled on the bed. OF course we thought we would never have an accident...but lost a wheel and did some unplanned offroading. THey were no worse for where, although the fish seemed rather upset with us...but we do not travel with fish any more.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:26 AM   #6
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by alscottfree
We will (not this time) be traveling with our 2 cats - those that do travel with their pets - do you keep them in a container in the car - cat's certainly like leashes ( nor do we) but they are declawed and we fear that the escape factor is likely to be huge - any suggestions about anything for absolutely new airstream owners (picking up Sunday) and the future of traveling with cat's
Probably the best way to let them be thereselves.
Sarah, my cat grew up in the trailer. It is here home. She comes back no matter where we are. She is family, not just a possession. I give her the freedom she desires and she returns.
No lease, no crate. When driving, she usually rides behind my seat in a little nest I created for her. She is high enough to look out the window and has a place to curl up and sleep when things get too boring for her. I do not try to control her but react to her desires. She has me trained well.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:33 AM   #7
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Cat Pack

Stuffing them between the dash and windshield works quite well...

1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 09:55 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
cats in trailers

Thank You All For Responding So Quickly - Your Suggestions Were All Great- The Car Traveling, Cat Box,microchip, And Going With The Cat(they Tend To Do What They Want) As Well As Safety Suggestions Were Very Helpful - Thanks Again - We Look Forward To Meeting You. Thanks
Old 03-14-2008, 11:36 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Our 2 cats ride in the trailer. We tried letting them ride in the truck, but they seemed to get claustriphobic. For the past 5 years, they seem to be quite content riding in the trailer. We do monitor them closely if the weather gets warm!
Old 03-14-2008, 02:34 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Bemidji , Minnesota
We, too, are a mixed mammal family. Our two furkids ride in the truck with us. Actually, Ki seems to seriously enjoy helping drive!! Her stroller is snugged into the back seat where Brandi rides so if necessary we can slip her in it and zip it up... usually they ride as pictured!

#1...watching the Atlantic as we drive down Daytona Beach
#2...listening to Papa sing
#3...nap time...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cat driving.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	56206   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cat song.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	281.7 KB
ID:	56207  

Name:	Cat nap.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	299.5 KB
ID:	56208  
Old 03-14-2008, 02:59 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
That cat looks so hard done by and very neglected.

Are those earplugs in her ears?

Barry
Old 03-14-2008, 05:34 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Ours rides in the truck in her carrier between stops. We seldom travel over 200 miles in a day and she pretty much just naps the whole way.

She loves the trailer and seems to really enjoy the different sights and smells every few days. Her box travels in the shower but we pull it out and put it under the table when stopped. We use the Fresh Step Crystals which are pricey but really are odor free. A 4# pkg last about 3 weeks.

However, we did learn through her where every nook or cranny was that a 7.5# cat could fit through and had to fabricate various blocking devices. She would disappear (scaring us half to death) and then show up somewhere odd, covered in dust. She managed somehow to get under streetside twin once and I still haven't figured out how....

I believe that if a new law came out that you could only have two souls on board, I'd find myself suitcase in hand watching my bride drive off with that cat. And I'd understand.

mike
Old 03-14-2008, 05:37 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Miss Lilly has her spot right on the center console ~

Oh, I know...she looks just miserable, doesn't she?!- she hates it! Yeah, right!

I seriously think she likes camping as much as we do...here she is last weekend checking out our latest project ~

Shari
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3471.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	56213  
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 06:36 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
It Seems That We Aren't The Only Ones Owned By Our Cats, We Love The Pictures & The Comments. We Leave Tomorrow To Get Our First Airstream.....can't Wait....will Send Pictures Of Airstream & Cats - Really Look Forward To Meeting You. Thanks Again For Responding - It's Great!