Old 03-14-2008, 07:00 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Bemidji , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
That cat looks so hard done by and very neglected.

Are those earplugs in her ears?

Barry
Arrr Arrr Harrr Phil

Old 03-14-2008, 07:35 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
New Holland , Ohio
I am a HUGE cat lover but would be really worried to travel with cats (the two I have at home are 11 this summer and I wouldn't do that to them anyway after their never being out of the house!) due to the heat issues. Our type of travel probably isn't suited to them--we tend to leave a lot and go off and do things, and I would be scared stiff that the A/C would quit or the generator would fail and it would get too hot. I used to have cats that loved to ride in the car with me from Baton Rouge to New Orleans and back, but that was only a 1 1/2 hour ride and they were at my parents' house in between.

I envy those of you who happily travel with your fur people. Pet them for me! If I had my way mine would be with me 24/7/365!

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:40 PM   #17
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumatube
I am a HUGE cat lover but would be really worried to travel with cats (the two I have at home are 11 this summer and I wouldn't do that to them anyway after their never being out of the house!) due to the heat issues. Our type of travel probably isn't suited to them--we tend to leave a lot and go off and do things, and I would be scared stiff that the A/C would quit or the generator would fail and it would get too hot. I used to have cats that loved to ride in the car with me from Baton Rouge to New Orleans and back, but that was only a 1 1/2 hour ride and they were at my parents' house in between.

I envy those of you who happily travel with your fur people. Pet them for me! If I had my way mine would be with me 24/7/365!

Susan
Susan, you can put a thermostat on a Fantastic Fan, if the a/c dies, the Fantastic will open and turn on when temp reaches a preset amount, saving your pet from heat stoke.
Our Flame Point Siamese was 16 when we stopped hauling him around, and he seemed disappointed at heving to stay home.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:09 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bertram , Texas
We did have one scary moment travelling with my Manx years ago. THat was in our old Ford van. We had no AC (this was 81) and never left her alone in the vehicle but when traveling through Kansas it got so hot she started overheating. I had notice whe had not come back up front after her trip to the liter box. We ended up using cool water and rubbing her down and she recovered quickly, but it scared me. Even back then we new never to leave the annimals in the car but did not expect that while on the road.

THat was the only negative event and she did well even on leash (which she used to keep us close by) Of course my old tag line says it all, Dogs have owners...cats have staff
Old 03-24-2008, 09:59 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
We travel with our 2 cats. For most part they are in seperate carriers. We have one that has a bathroom problem so we leave her door open with a litter box between the carriers. The older cat feels more secure in the carrier.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:06 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Laguna Niguel , California
We traveled ten weeks last summer with our cat, and we've done several weekend jaunts since. She was great. We have a little harness for her that we used occassionally depending on the situation. She loved the Airstream; in fact, we joke with a bit of seriousness that we bought the Airstream for her!

We put her litter box in the back seat of the pickup and let her have free roam of the vehicle. Most of the time, she sat in my wife's lap or rode on the armrest between us. Sometimes, she would stare out the back window and howl like a wolf at the Airstream.

She developed a habitual need to vomit every time we started towing, so we learned to not feed her much before starting driving, and then we'd stop soon after to feed and water her. Her need to vomit was so predictable, that one morning we had literally only been under tow for 10 feet when she let it go. We learned to just have some paper towels and plastic bags ready, and then it was smooth sailing from there.

On a very sad note for us, our wonderful, perfect cat passed away this morning. We will miss her sooooo much! So our advice is to go Airstreaming with your pets, treat them like family, and learn how they like to travel. In the end, they probably just want to be with you.

She was such a blessing for us. The last two pictures were taken just this past Friday, March 21. We took our Airstream to the beach for the day and had a BBQ in the evening with friends, one of whom brought her dog, Lilly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Oregon Outback - 34.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	56889

Name:	Heading Home.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	56890

Name:	Coldwater Cove Campground - 1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	56891

Name:	Doheny Beach 3-21-08 - 7.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	56892

Name:	Lilly & Cat #2.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	56893
Old 03-25-2008, 12:08 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
In our Moho

Mickey the cat rides with a harness on and a 4 foot leash so we can stop him from going places he should not-----like under the drivers feet. We keep a small spray bottle with water by the front door and if he wanders by and acts like he wants to dart out we do one spritz of water near him------or now since he knows the sound we just say "ssss" and he exits the area.

We have a 20 foot leash that we put him on when camping and leave the door open so he can go in and out at will.......and escape dogs who think they can attack him.

str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote