Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by klevan View Post
Help for Traveling With Cats and Dogs and Kids
<snip>
Big mistake. I took one cat Airstreaming once. Won't try that again.
Guess it depends on your pets. Our cat & two dogs travel with us most most every trip...no problem. Lily the cat has done so for almost ten years now...the dogs since we've have them, it's Bette's second season & Sadee's first. All is well in our Airstream.

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:41 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Are you sure this is about the dogs or is it about camping. From reading your posts it appears that you are in a quandary as to whether or not you like camping. My wife and I just went through this dilemma. I love to camp, however, my wife's idea of camping is staying in a hotel, putting on her hiking boots and going from one boutique to another.

We compromised and bought a new AS last week. She calls it her condo on wheels and I still get sit by the campfire and hike and bike in the wilderness.

As to making a mistake: only you know your finances however one of the reasons we did it was that we did not want to wake up one day and say "I wish I coulda, shoulda bought that camper"

By the way Claire and I have also been married over 40 years and have made our share of financial mistakes but you can't look back. I am sure you will make the right decision

Old 08-14-2011, 02:10 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
If the crowded campgrounds are a concern, you might enjoy boondocking. There are also plenty of less crowded spots to choose from. Especially if you're flexible about camping during the non-peak periods.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:59 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Great forum, thanks all. Keep the opinions and thoughts coming all are very helpful

We have decided to pursue the longgggggggggggg time dream and continue our search for the right AS. Have the truck ordered so we have at least started.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:35 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Martinez , California
Please - never leave a cat alone for even 24 hours. We tried it twice and the first time the cat totally destroyed the room he was in; the next time, when we came home the cat had a huge rip in his neck that had almost severed his windpipe. We never did figure out how he had done it. We now board our cat with the vet if we go somewhere.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:01 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
That is fantastic, we hope to see you on the road. I have done a lot of camping at Confluence PA as it has a little bit of everything. It is close to the bike trail the river is stocked and great hiking. It will be one of our first places to take the AS.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:09 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
leaving cat/dog home

To leave a cat home for a week just leave enough food and water and a large, clean litter box. The cat will only eat/drink enough every day.
To leave a dog just do the same thing. As soon as you leave, the dog will eat all the food, spill the water and you can picture the rest. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:45 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
Guess it depends on your pets. Our cat & two dogs travel with us most most every trip...no problem. Lily the cat has done so for almost ten years now...the dogs since we've have them, it's Bette's second season & Sadee's first. All is well in our Airstream.
My cat Snowball has gone camping with me in the B190 from the very first trip. In fact, I felt bad kenneling him or leaving him with family when I went on trips, so getting a camper was in part so he COULD come with me. He loves it.

With our new trailer, I think he's even happier - we got him a dog cage that he stays in in the truck, with a small litter box, bed, and a little food and water, and then he has a 30' camper to roam around in and act like he owns.

We've also left him alone at home overnight, never had a problem there, either. Every pet, just like every person, is different.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:33 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
As posted on another tread we make the plunge and purchased a 2010 30' Flying Cloud with the front lounge chairs and the beast going with us is my avatar picture. She attacks other dogs, but on a leash and under control she only prances around and trys to move towards so based on the input and encouragement from you all we decided to move forward. It's a very long story, we have only had her 2-1/2 years but in that time we believe she has saved my live or at least extended it, so leaving her in a kennel is hard to do.

Thanks again for all your encouragement, maybe once we get out on the road we will run into some of you

My Best

Bud
Old 08-27-2011, 08:59 AM   #24
Whitefawn

1978 Argosy 24
Scottsville , Virginia
Avoiding crowds

I am so glad you took the plunge and got your AS. It sounds to me like your heightened awareness of your dog's issues places you at the head of the class- because you are concerned both about your dog, and also about your fellow campers and their animals. There is NO reason you and your dog cannot have some great camping experiences.

My husband and I follow a few guidelines when we plan our trips, because I am allergic to crowds. We almost NEVER camp "on-season" in a campground that is located in an area that has intense seasonal crowds. And we plan the opposite- camping in deserted campgrounds off-season. We meet our friends for our annual New Years Eve camping trip, boondocking at Assateague Island MD (with our dogs). We are traditionally the only people in the campground. Winter camping presents its own challenges, but a lot of our best camping is in the fall or winter. Also, we found that campground personnel tend to clump people together, when assigning sites, so we ask if we can choose our own site, and ask which is the "camp-site" less traveled. Good Luck!

Kathy
Old 08-27-2011, 09:02 AM   #25
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
HOORAH....

"Fado" sends a big KISS.

No four legger left behind...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PWDCA National Speciality 2008 119.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	681.3 KB
ID:	138803  

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:32 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Fado is adorable. He/she looks like my Cali, just bigger! :-)
Old 09-05-2011, 11:27 AM   #27
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Diva View Post
Fado is adorable. He/she looks like my Cali, just bigger! :-)
DD,

Obrigado, he knows it and plays it for all it's worth.

And Cali's picture is where?

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote