Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-02-2013, 08:02 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sheboygan , Wisconsin
The Most Dog Friendly Places To Stay

We bring our two dogs with us pretty much everywhere and will be getting our Airstream in about 2 months. I know that there are a lot of campgrounds that allow dogs, but in your experience, which ones have you stayed at that are the most welcoming to dogs? For example, ones with dog washes, off leash dark parks, dog friendly trails, etc.. Staying in areas that not only allow dogs but welcome them with open arms is important to us.

I think I posted this a few years ago but have changed our blog and online handle since. We have this list on our blog that has campgrounds & RV parks with fenced in dog runs & parks. I'd love to add to it so please let me know if there are any I don't have listed.
RVegans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
The Washington Land Yacht Harbor has a fenced off leash area.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:11 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sheboygan , Wisconsin
Thanks Dave! I'll add that to our list.
RVegans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Arlington , Virginia
would you please check the link?
millionsafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Get a smart phone and some of the numerous Apps that allow you to research where your going and what are the restrictions and ameneties available. Unless you have fight trained pit bulls you will not have a problem.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Finding ideal pet-friendly campgrounds? Your results totally will vary!

We routinely shut windows and turn on the AC with full-time fan when we drop away for 90 minutes or so of dinner or entertainment. Our part-hound Airedale still sings. Music doesn't seem to help. Turn on the radio and find an AM talk station -- baseball works just fine. That helps. Yet more than once we've returned with other campers hovering outside our Safari because of howling & whining. I've taken to leaving notes in the window about the last time they were fed/watered and include my cell phone #. They do have individual crates inside (so what if I have no leg room under the dinette table). Nobody yet has called -- being proactive helps.

Cape Ann Camp Site near Gloucester, MA, has been the most liberating experience we have had. At checking in we actually were advised that they don't mind if dogs are left in trailers -- it helps that campsites are 30' or more apart.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:22 PM   #7
Likes Shiny Tings

1958 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
Darn, I was looking forward to reading your list RVegans, but its down now.
We have Staffordshire Bull Terriers. They are AKC registered purebreds with championship titles on them and we have to look very carefully at the dog rules as many RV Parks ban certain breeds due to their insurance restrictions. Though our breed is an old breed of English origins and there are not that many in the US, they are considered to be under their pitbull mixed breed ban and are banned as well. I guess they know something about their viciousness that we don't know. It gets frustrating at times. State and national parks don't have that kind of discrimination, but all RV places state that they don't want dogs that howl and bark or are aggressive in any way. That must be hard with a hound.
When I had my '58 remodeled inside, I made sure that they left a space (24"w) for a crate to fit between the dinette and the sink counter. Comes in handy. I stack two crates vertically in that space.
MaryC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:52 PM   #8
Rivet Master

The most friendly parks are state, county and federal public land parks where there is lots of open space. Dogs and humans enjoy nice brisk walks several times a day.
Least friendly are compact parks where rv's are jammed together and there is a miniscule dog run that both humans and dogs hate and everyone who is staying at the park has nothing better to do than watch to make sure your pooch does not have an "accident" or escape and attack "fifi or fluffy".
I can relate to the comment about dogs that look like pitbulls. Our dearly departed dog looked ferocious and had an abuse history so she was nervous of the unfamiliar and looked all the more fierce. No matter what the provocation she wouldn't bite anyone or fight with another dog or cat. Sometimes we had to talk our way in to certain parks and on one occasion we weren't going to get in until the campground cat checked out our dog and approved.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:40 PM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Many National Parks do not allow dogs on the trails (the website says it is at the discretion of the park administration), which is one reason we haven't gone to a National Park yet with our trailer, although I think we have 4 of them within easy driving distance. I can't see taking a hiking trip and leaving the dogs in the trailer all day

For example, at Olympic national Park: Pet Information
Pets are permitted on a leash (up to a 6 feet in length) in park campgrounds and parking areas. Pets are prohibited in all park buildings, in the backcountry, and generally all park trails.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:46 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
In our experience Austin, TX is THE most dog friendly place ever. We try to stay at Pecan Grove which is OK-dog friendly, but the whole town is dog friendly, including some restaurants. There is a big dog-friendly park within walking distance where the dogs can run free and sniff other dogs. Really a treat - we travel with two decent sized dogs.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:49 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
All the State Parks in GA have been great. They have a six foot leash restriction, but that is it. The dogs are welcome on the trails, Ranger led walks, etc. We travel with our Weim all the time.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:01 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
When we can't take our girls, they stay in their "crate".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0636.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	314.6 KB
ID:	203754  
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:11 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
Many National Parks do not allow dogs on the trails (the website says it is at the discretion of the park administration), which is one reason we haven't gone to a National Park yet with our trailer, although I think we have 4 of them within easy driving distance. I can't see taking a hiking trip and leaving the dogs in the trailer all day
It has been my experience that all the National Parks I have been to have a strict policy that dogs are not allowed off a leash and also anywhere other than on pavement and not on trails either on or off leash. Dogs are also not allowed to be left unattended at the campsite either inside or outside the trailer. While this is cumbersome and I love to let my dogs romp as much as possible. For obvious reasons of overcrowding, preservation and conservation, aggressive dogs, less than responsible dog owners, and the dogs well being I, albeit reluctantly, agree with this policy.

The attached photo was taken on BLM land where dogs can have a random scoot.

Outside most National Parks there are usually kennels. but I would rather limit my activities than have my best friends locked up in a cage by strangers. For what they give me unconditionally I owe them more than that.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HPIM4318.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	412.6 KB
ID:	203759  
Old 01-20-2014, 08:47 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Vienna , Virginia
Baileyton RV park in Baileyton, TN. I found to be a great place for dogs. It is located right at the Westernmost border point of Virginia. There are big fields and great trails for hiking with the pooches. I always travel with my two German Shepherds and there are very few places where there's room enough to launch balls on ropes 150'+ for a vigorous game of fetch. There's also a beautiful golf driving range and catch/release fishing pond. It is a mandatory stop when I head west out of Virginia. We purchased the Interstate so we could travel with them all the time, so staying at a dog friendly park is a pre-requisite.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1390275778.710667.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	657.9 KB
ID:	204075  
K9CarCrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:18 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Don't go to Ontario Canada if you have a dog(s) that even remotely look like Pit. Their laws state they can and will be confiscated and euthanized.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote