Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2017, 09:40 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrolls View Post
These posts by others are correct, in our experiences. Every time we've come back, it seems that US Customs are much more inquisitive. When returning from SK a couple of years ago, US customs wanted to know WHERE we bought our dogs' dry food. Oddly enough we had bought a small bag in WA a couple of weeks earlier and still had both the bag AND the receipt! I'm not sure what they would have done otherwise, and I sure wasn't prepared to ASK!
We routinely had the dog food confiscated going into the US up until several years ago when they suddenly had no more interest. Back then I countered by purchasing and keeping a US purchased bag of food in the trailer with the receipt. Since we were staying in Tx for several months, we had to purchase new food before the trip home anyway. The issue is that Canada had several instances of Mad Cow Disease some years back and the Cow by products in dog food might have the prions responsible for the MCD.
I always wondered why they took the food and put it in Michigan Garbage destined for Michigan landfill prions and all.
When I go into the US they sometimes ask for the Veterinary certificate, sometimes not. Being Canadian I don't get the same questions coming home.
Frozen Chicken or fresh is the same thing, might have parasites or something; but you can bring cooked chicken I discovered on one trip going to the US
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:58 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWDCW View Post
Frozen Chicken or fresh is the same thing, might have parasites or something; but you can bring cooked chicken I discovered on one trip going to the US
JCW
Currently only chicken, eggs, and other poultry products from Alabama and Tennessee are restricted, unless they are fully cooked. This includes pet food made from poultry products from those states.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:20 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Just a thought for all, we travel with their full health records from our vet. It was her suggestion. In the event one of them gets really sick and we go to an emergency pet clinic, which we have had to do, we simply hand them the full medical history.

As far as Canadian border, we were asked going into NS almost four years ago and then in NS our dog became ill and passed, at seven. When crossing back into the US from NS the US Border agent asked "where is the dog you took into Canada"?, we told her and she started to tear up and waved us on.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:43 AM   #24
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
If the dog has a name like... fluffy... prince, sweetie.. etc, should be ok.

If pet named pistol, bullet, gunner, etc.. YEMV..(your excitement may vary)..

I am sure all "shots" will be up to date....
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:52 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rochester , New Hampshire
Hi, we just had a conversation on camping with our dog with our vet.

Her recommendation was to vaccine against Lyme.

And...Leptospirosis/from drinking /eating water contaminated with wild or domestic animal urine or dirt contaminated with it , our dog always finds other animals poops....Hey, it is true.

And..."especially" bordatella/Kennel Cough/ in case you get sick or injured yourself or your rig breaks down and your pet needs to be boarded.

mrsmup
mrsmup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 07:32 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmup View Post
Hi, we just had a conversation on camping with our dog with our vet.
Her recommendation was to vaccine against Lyme.
And...Leptospirosis/from drinking /eating water contaminated with wild or domestic animal urine or dirt contaminated with it , our dog always finds other animals poops....Hey, it is true.
And..."especially" bordatella/Kennel Cough/ in case you get sick or injured yourself or your rig breaks down and your pet needs to be boarded. mrsmup
Really good points....
Lime disease is especially rampant in any areas where winters are not extremely cold. I've picked deer ticks off my dog from a hike in northern Wisconsin, and had to take antibiotics because I missed one on my body. Don't discount the seriousness of this disease, it is extremely debilitating.
As for vaccinations, I'm sure all vets do a broad spectrum for Dogs, but some may not vaccinate a full range of disease if they don't know you are traveling outside your geographical area.
Also be aware that there are about 40 different "Kennel Cough" viruses. The vaccination only covers about 12 of them, so protection is worthwhile but not entirely effective against all the possible viruses.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 07:58 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
2017 28' Flying Cloud
Southwest Ranches , Florida
On the Alaska Highway you will see lots of bears, black and grizzly. Bear vs dog = not good. Don't let him out at night.
Mergatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 08:50 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Just heard from our vet that NE and in particular PA has a mega supply of deer ticks this year and further that many of the Lyme Disease carrying ticks actually come off mice. We vaccinated our dogs against Lyme, not 100%

Sent from my XT1585 using Airstream Forums mobile app
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote