Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-05-2004, 11:21 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Question Tak'em or leav'em??

Well we are about 2 weeks out from attending our first ever Rally, as well as our first ever A/S Trailer experience or any trailer experience for that matter.

As some may know we have too lovely dogs - Taz & Haily who love to go boating with us, hikes, walks and pretty much everything.

However they have never experienced Trailer life in a camp site never mind attending a Rally in an open field with over 70 Trailers and who knows how many people and dogs, cats, kiddies and "Tin Hut" - just kidding not in the same region.

The girls are not used to being tied up, nor are they used to so many people all at once. They have been fine on our boat - but that is docking at locks with maybe 3-5 other boaters - there are usually trails near by that they can get a good run in (off lead- cause exercise on a lead well just does not cut it for these two).

So the big question - should we take them and hope that they do not get spooked before we have a chance to go on a nice quiet camping weekend with them. Or do we leave them at home (our home with Nana & GranPaw) and promise to take them the following weekend camping at a nice park somewhere.

What is it really like at Rally's are people dog friendly? How do you cope with your dog(s) early morning walks/runs etc? What if they bark a bit - as they will not be used to all the different noises/sounds of people so close?

We have an Awning - a bit old and shaby but will provide lots of shade. There are two fans in the coach that work great for taking the hot air out of our little GT and lots of windows that open all the way. They are great on their leads and know they will be polite.

When we start packing up the A/S they will know!!! and with looks like this....what should we do?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Taz & Haily.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	6431  
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 12:09 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Red face Such woebegone faces!

Being that it's your very first rally and a large one at that, I would say leave 'em as tough as that may be.

You are going to want to be running around checking out all the other trailers, entertaining visitors who want to check out the "new" trailer in the bunch and "the kids" might get a bit freaked out with all the commotion. Not to mention your own "first-timers stress" of dealing with everything for the first time.

Introduce them to everything once you feel more comfortable with the trailer and the group of folks you'll be rallying with. Just my 2-cents...you know your dog's (& your) dispositions best...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 05:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master

"We have an Awning - a bit old and shaby but will provide lots of shade."

I try to discourage it , but my pup finds shade underneath the trailer. The problem
being that is she finds shade under anyones trailer. My fear is that someone will drive away with her underneath.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 05:57 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
Doggies

Sorry, reality check time.....
These pups need to learn about tie-outs and leashes. If you are planning on visiting campgrounds, the quickest way to get a visit from the park ranger is to have a loose dog at your site. They will live, no matter how sad their little faces are.
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 07:00 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by sander17
Sorry, reality check time.....
These pups need to learn about tie-outs and leashes. If you are planning on visiting campgrounds, the quickest way to get a visit from the park ranger is to have a loose dog at your site. They will live, no matter how sad their little faces are.
Hmm. I disagree, at least with the tie-outs. We use three sections of 42" exercise pens (available from places like http://www.petedge.com/ or other supplier) to contain our two standard poodles, plus friends' dogs. This gives us enough fencing (aprx 48 feet) to fence in our awning area, plus a little extra. The x-pen panels are bungee corded to chunky plastic electric fence posts 'stepped' into the ground. this gives us an area about 12 foot by 20 foot. We sometime increase this area by setting up crates at one end and running the x-pens further out from the coach. This is not sufficiently heavy duty to leave dogs in without supervision but gives them a nice area when we are there with them.

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 05-06-2004, 07:02 AM   #6
Rivet Master

I try to stay away from campgrounds when I have my dog with me.
It seems that there is always a crabby dog hater ready to jump on me.
I have a small pooch, and I am against tying her up, to avoid a loose
dog from cornering her. I either have her on a leash or in the trailer.
She is a great dog tho, and everyone enjoys baby sitting her.
She says " Woof, there are no bad dogs, just bad dog owners"
Her name is Layla, and she likes my mandolin, way more than she likes
my banjo. Layla wants me to add that there are no bad banjos, just
bad banjo players. I love the way she thinks.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 07:03 AM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'd say it depends on their dispositions. If they are laid back and not the barking type, go for it. I would have started to get them use to the coach by letting them stay in there before the trip a few times under the same conditions, with their food and water in the coach with them, fans on if necc and any toys that they have also placed inside the coach.

I did this for our shep mix (12 years old). She loves the Airstream, but it's taken her about 2 hours on 3-4 seperate occasions to get her used to the coach. She has her favorite spots now and knows what the lay of the land is....similar to when she's home.

If your dogs are like wildfire, and you haven't taken the time to get them adjusted to the coach yet, and being alone in it, I might be inclined to not take them this trip. As Shari said, it will only add to the stress level, particularly with the first trip and all.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 07:30 AM   #8

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
We take our two with us all the time. While we do tie them out from time to time, it is only in a situation where we are outside with them also. Nothing worse than a barking dog(s) tied outside and the owner is no where to be found.

We walk them for exercise and use sandwich bags to clean up their deposits. If we leave to go somewhere else, they go inside the trailer, and dependent upon weather we will turn on the A/C or fans. We prefer the A/C so that if they do bark for any reason, no one will be bothered.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 10:25 AM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
We take our two dogs sometimes, and sometimes we give ourselves a break and leave them home! Either way, if they're with us they are either in the trailer with us, or walking on a leash.

Please don't let your dogs run loose on a trail!!! My big dog doesn't like running into loose dogs, and he growls at them, and sometimes they don't listen to their owners so good once my dog starts growling. Believe me, the ensuing squeeling, ear-pulling rukus will put a damp spot on anyones vacation! Likewise I don't want any strange dogs, friendly or not, running up to greet my little dog who is bite-size. So if everyone just keeps them on a leash, and let them run loose at home in familiar territory, it would be better for all of us. We have never had a problem encountering leashed animals and their walkers on the trail or beach. Encounters with off-leash dogs are always stressful and occasionally eventful! Sorry, not to put you guys down, it's just a pet peeve of mine.

Flexi-leashes are great for letting them run a little and then reeling them back in when you need to. I like to let them run it out a little on the straightaways and then keep them close in crowds or where we can't see who's coming around the corner.

You should spend some time teaching them how to behave in the trailer, and particularly how to enter and exit politely. My Dal almost hurt me one time leaping out of the trailer as soon as I opened the door, dragging me down the steps behind him!

But once you get that stuff out of the way, we've had fun with them at rallys, everyone we've met so far has been dog friendly, and a good time can be had by all.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 12:51 PM   #10
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Tak'em or leav'em?

I have two dogs that try to beat each other to the Airstream when we start loading. One is a 100 pound German Shepherd and the other is a 40 pound English Setter. They know only one of them gets to go and they both love to go camping!
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 01:38 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

I have a wonderful Doberman, loves people, loves other dogs, loves varmints too. But he is still a dog. I keep him on leash, supervised, and never a nusance to others.
Sorry, but I'm with Steph. I work long and hard to train my dogs, and it isn't fair when others are loose, owners do not have control, and expect everybody else has to put up with it.
If you have been involved in obedience training, you know that a dog off leash is NEVER absolutely under control.
On occasion loose dogs will come to 'visit', and more often than not become aggressive. A dog off leash knows the other dog isn't, and they know they have an advantage. The first thing they will do is decide which will be the alpha (the leader), and if they are both confident dogs this is going to cause a conflict. These aren't children - they are dogs - they don't need socialize with other dogs, they are for you.
Introductions have to be carefully controlled by the owners, and most of us (I think) like the option to decline.
Other dogs may have viruses and parasites that can infect your dog as well.
Please keep you babies confined, on a leash, on a tether, in your arms or whatever works for you. Thanks...
Old 05-06-2004, 02:32 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Before you all get too far off - maybe I misslead you - our girls are not used to being on a leash or tied up - but this does not mean they don't know what a collar and lead is We do visit people in subdivisions and some of our friends and relative do live in the civilized world - you know that requires by law a leash - and not the expandable kind either.

We are on your side!!!! As boaters we keep our dogs on very short leashes!!! And the trails I am talking about are usually only accessed by the boaters at particular locks - so you pretty much know who is on them and who is not.

We do have exapandable leads and where dogs can not run free they are great for letting them in the water (they can not swim off - or get caught in any unexpected currents) - There are always great spots for the dogs to swim - and once in the water they really don't care about anyone elses dog or people for that matter - and if there are frogs well that occupies Taz for hours.

There is nothing more anoying than having our dogs under control and having someones elses dog, cat or even KIDS for that matter - running up and creating havoc!

Both our girls have gone through their obedience classes - Taz is excellent - Haily well she is going through her terrible two's right now but when out in public she listens and is very well behaved on her lead - but at home she does not!

They are both very polite and having both been taught boating etiquette - the trailer will be a breeze for them. Through the restoration they have been in and out of it 100 times, have had lunch with us and fallen fast asleep - Haily is affraid of jumping out and has to have a little coaxing - Taz makes a move only when we say to and is very aware of us humans and does not like to get under foot.

With a very small ganway in our 20' boat they both have learned to get up on the seats and stay clear when we lock through and dock - the rest of the time they laze around and sunbath. They seem to think this is a stationary boat, as soon as they get in they are up on the seats out of the way - but once we sit they jump down onto the floor - cool dogs

Swimming is a great source of exercise - and you don't run into too many crowded beaches - when you have access to many Islands - or just anchoring out in the middle of the lake. But we are well aware of the Provincial parks that are not into letting dogs be dogs and romp around in the water - beaches are not our thing - so it won't be for the girls either. We rather would find a little spot further down where they can get their feet wet and shake without getting the LOOK!

So with all the "niceties" behind I was more interested in the general behaviour of the dogs at Rally's and what you do with them - for instance there are kids activities, adult activities - other than a dog shows at the International are there any activities for dog owners (as there seems to be quite a large number of dog owners).

The exercise pen is a great idea but we would have rig a light weight one.

Taz would love to sleep under the trailer and has already started to. When I am in and out of the trailer - they have the whole 4 acres to play but they are right outside the trailer.

Thanks for all your responses - I wanted to try and get a feeling of the canine involvement from both dog owners and of course the non-dog owners.

By some of the responses it seems that there are irresponsible dog owners everywhere that make it miserable for the "good dog owners" to the point that many of you assumed that we may have been the type of people to let our dogs run wild - this is sad in a way - as many comments about there is never a bad dog just bad owners is so true - no matter where you go.

Why our last boating vacation we spend many days at Cl. By Island in the Rideau system. This is with Taz and our previous Golden Aby who was the best swimmer. There was a family 2-kids and the family dog. The kids were fairly well behaved but their dog was a roamer and allowed to roam all the time. He would come up to our boat and make the girls go nuts - as they would not leave the boat - to the point the dog would jump on our boat!!!

In Jones Falls we asked a couple to keep an ear out for our girls - they had been swiming all day and were exhausted, we have a fairly large cuddy with a large hatch, hull screened windows and the cuddy door is louvered - so lots of air. We returned 40 minutes later (fastest dinner ever) to a note left inside the cockpit - about how cruel we are to leave our dogs in the cuddy and that they barked all night long for hours (hmm 40 mins). We asked our neighbours and they said the dogs barked a couple of times at a bunch of teenagers that where diving off the cliff and screaming - but once they left they were quiet - until some people came over to the boat and started talking to the dogs - they went berserk barking and even more so when the man actually got onto our boat - now that is a really smart move.

Anyway it takes all kinds out there and we just want to say we are not one of them - we don't have kids thus our dogs are our top priority and responsibility.

I had pretty much made up my mind before asking my question - and thought maybe there might be something that would say - yes no problem bring them along you will all have a ton of fun - but I guess not.....
Old 05-06-2004, 02:44 PM   #13

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I didn't assume you were the irresponsible ones who make trouble, but I always take an opportunity to point out my side of it, in case any of those folks are reading along!

If your dogs can behave themselves on a boat, then they can probably behave themselves in a trailer, so go for it. I haven't seen anyone who had problems with dogs at a rally, except for ones who were allowed to wander loose. Since most of the airstreamers have little-bitty dogs, you can see why they would particularly get nervous about that. But otherwise we left our dogs in the trailer while we went to dinners, and took them with us on walks and hikes. We ran into other dog owners in the potty area and chat with them. It's really pretty laid back. I know not all units are as friendly and welcoming as ours, but we've really just met a lot of nice people and had a good time at each rally we've been to. I highly recommend you give it a try.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 02:56 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Hi:
<Anyway it takes all kinds out there and we just want to say we are not one of them>

I didn't take you for someone who was not on the same page. I did not intend to seem as though I were directing my post at you personally. I appreciate the timely thread.

<I had pretty much made up my mind before asking my question - and thought maybe there might be something that would say - yes no problem bring them along you will all have a ton of fun - but I guess not.....>

Not at all! I wouldn't leave my dog at home because of other owners who haven't gotten the clue.
I would love to see your babies, they are adorable. They are a part of our families, and I enjoy taking mine with me on trips. In fact, that's one of the reasons we wanted to get the trailer, so he could come with us.
As much as I do not like loose aggressive dogs, (actually the irresponsible owners), I REALLY appreciate those who are considerate.

Thanks for opening the dialog.
Old 05-06-2004, 03:02 PM   #15
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
No worries

Sharon,

I think you may have touched on a nerve here is all. As a dog owner, currently a Mini Poodle prior to that a Great Dane, most of us are almost over sensitized to the "bad dog owners". Many of us have to prove that we are good owners every time we check into a campground and sign in blood that we will keep the dog on leash at all times and pickup. Then when a dog does get loose and roams the campground we all get painted with the same brush

There is also the fact that currently at International all of the dog owners get split off and parked together. This creates an us vs. them attitude and just riles up both sides of the issue.

If your pups behave as you described I would say take them along. Maybe not to a major rally at first, but camping somewhere other than your yard. If they do as well as they did on the boat they will do fine.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 03:11 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Sharon:
I was just picturing two big dogs shaking water off. That reminds me of a funny cartoon I saw somewhere.... "there's nothing more affectionate than a wet dog"... Ain't it the truth?
Old 05-06-2004, 03:32 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewkid64
Sharon,

...Many of us have to prove that we are good owners every time we check into a campground and sign in blood that we will keep the dog on leash at all times and pickup....
Case in point - it will cost us $5 per day extra to have our dog with us this weekend. An extra person would have been $1 per day extra. Who creates more trash, uses (and sometimes abuses) the restrooms and showers, etc? Not the dog. I wouldn't mind paying $1 per day, with a $20 deposit. Penalizing dog owners in general because a few misguided souls think their dogs should be free spirits just like them, seems a bit unfair.

Having said that, I have never been charged for having the dog with us before, even at rv parks that clearly state that dogs cost extra. Of course there is a first time for everything, and I always plan on paying. I think they let it slide if your mutt behaves.
mtpalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 04:33 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Hey I'm not pointing fingers either just a little apprehensive of what we are getting into. It is so true that 99% of us dog owners are painted with that 1% brush....

Just as it is in real life - we have so many rules made up by us Humans because of the few who do not play fair. And what I laugh at is everyone has a great time, one gets out of hand, we call a committee meeting make a bunch of rules to prevent it from happening again (as in raising prices to leave all dogs at home) that basically restrict the ones who are already compling to the rules - now the rules are in place and fines etc. and who walks by breaking the original rule - ha the same guy In those cases if we - the committee - just had the balls to ban that "person" in the first place then the rest of us can enjoy life!

But getting to the point at hand - taking them to a big Rally right off the bat. I tend to agree with Shari and Bret and any of you who may have thought ("it might just be better all around to go solo to the first one"). Even though there was never any question of whether they would be as good as gold - it would be like taking your dog to a big flea market or the "County/Municipal Fair" - Something Peter and I would not do - just not their cup of tea(even though I could spend hours and hours and hours - forest, chipmunks, birds, water - now that is their cup of tea. And eventually the nice quiet quaint Rally's if there are any????

Not to brag but our girls are attention stealers. We are always late going places and starting our meals cause everyone wants to pet them and go oooohhh aaaaahhh. We are more worried about what to do with them if our water line blows a gasket - or if our polarity gets messed up again and we not only blow our fuse but the whole line sequence - or how about the gray water tank issue - ha we don't have one YIKES (got a nice solid black tank that would take us 1 year full timing to fill it but our gray just runs out the dump tube.

If we did bring the dogs - we could bring their swimming doggie pool (kiddie pool really) we could drain the shower water in that and they would have a weekend long bath. Once everyone leaves the rally we could then wash the Trailer and Tow Vehicle down and by the time we are done the gray water would be gone

Never understood that A nice quick shower or rinse of dishes is more harmful than washing your car - with the same soap, not like we have tar and road chems on our bodies or in the food we eat????

Thanks all for your insite - Confirmed the puppy sitters for this one (no kennels - don't like them) So they will stay at home and play with their squirrels and splash in the marsh - and may even have a swim in the lake if they are lucky - We will keep our fingers crossed that all our systems work and that we get up there and back safely - so we can start the really camping with the WHOLE family.

oops forgot to add a picture - ooooohh aaaahhh aren't they sweet - one of Haily's first trips in the boat - Harness and Lead!!! - she had the tour and a good tug back when ever she tried to lean overoboard. That seemed to do the trick and she has never jumped out.

Hope to see you all one day out in the parks - I know our girls would love to socialize.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T&H0603.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	6444  
Old 05-06-2004, 05:39 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
::Looks at First Mate and Skipper::

"OOOoooh, AAaaaah!"
mtpalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 06:00 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
One of the reasons we went the Airstream route was to be able to take our dogs with us. We love them. We always keep them on their leashes, and always pickup after them.

We have never had a problem with taking our pets with us camping. I have noticed that the State Parks in Florida, in our area do not allow pets while camping. Kind of strange, because this area of Florida seems to be a pet haven.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote