Old 05-06-2004, 04:02 PM   #15
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
No worries

Sharon,

I think you may have touched on a nerve here is all. As a dog owner, currently a Mini Poodle prior to that a Great Dane, most of us are almost over sensitized to the "bad dog owners". Many of us have to prove that we are good owners every time we check into a campground and sign in blood that we will keep the dog on leash at all times and pickup. Then when a dog does get loose and roams the campground we all get painted with the same brush

There is also the fact that currently at International all of the dog owners get split off and parked together. This creates an us vs. them attitude and just riles up both sides of the issue.

If your pups behave as you described I would say take them along. Maybe not to a major rally at first, but camping somewhere other than your yard. If they do as well as they did on the boat they will do fine.

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 04:11 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Sharon:
I was just picturing two big dogs shaking water off. That reminds me of a funny cartoon I saw somewhere.... "there's nothing more affectionate than a wet dog"... Ain't it the truth?

Old 05-06-2004, 04:32 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewkid64
Sharon,

...Many of us have to prove that we are good owners every time we check into a campground and sign in blood that we will keep the dog on leash at all times and pickup....
Case in point - it will cost us $5 per day extra to have our dog with us this weekend. An extra person would have been $1 per day extra. Who creates more trash, uses (and sometimes abuses) the restrooms and showers, etc? Not the dog. I wouldn't mind paying $1 per day, with a $20 deposit. Penalizing dog owners in general because a few misguided souls think their dogs should be free spirits just like them, seems a bit unfair.

Having said that, I have never been charged for having the dog with us before, even at rv parks that clearly state that dogs cost extra. Of course there is a first time for everything, and I always plan on paying. I think they let it slide if your mutt behaves.
Old 05-06-2004, 05:33 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Hey I'm not pointing fingers either just a little apprehensive of what we are getting into. It is so true that 99% of us dog owners are painted with that 1% brush....

Just as it is in real life - we have so many rules made up by us Humans because of the few who do not play fair. And what I laugh at is everyone has a great time, one gets out of hand, we call a committee meeting make a bunch of rules to prevent it from happening again (as in raising prices to leave all dogs at home) that basically restrict the ones who are already compling to the rules - now the rules are in place and fines etc. and who walks by breaking the original rule - ha the same guy In those cases if we - the committee - just had the balls to ban that "person" in the first place then the rest of us can enjoy life!

But getting to the point at hand - taking them to a big Rally right off the bat. I tend to agree with Shari and Bret and any of you who may have thought ("it might just be better all around to go solo to the first one"). Even though there was never any question of whether they would be as good as gold - it would be like taking your dog to a big flea market or the "County/Municipal Fair" - Something Peter and I would not do - just not their cup of tea(even though I could spend hours and hours and hours - forest, chipmunks, birds, water - now that is their cup of tea. And eventually the nice quiet quaint Rally's if there are any????

Not to brag but our girls are attention stealers. We are always late going places and starting our meals cause everyone wants to pet them and go oooohhh aaaaahhh. We are more worried about what to do with them if our water line blows a gasket - or if our polarity gets messed up again and we not only blow our fuse but the whole line sequence - or how about the gray water tank issue - ha we don't have one YIKES (got a nice solid black tank that would take us 1 year full timing to fill it but our gray just runs out the dump tube.

If we did bring the dogs - we could bring their swimming doggie pool (kiddie pool really) we could drain the shower water in that and they would have a weekend long bath. Once everyone leaves the rally we could then wash the Trailer and Tow Vehicle down and by the time we are done the gray water would be gone

Never understood that A nice quick shower or rinse of dishes is more harmful than washing your car - with the same soap, not like we have tar and road chems on our bodies or in the food we eat????

Thanks all for your insite - Confirmed the puppy sitters for this one (no kennels - don't like them) So they will stay at home and play with their squirrels and splash in the marsh - and may even have a swim in the lake if they are lucky - We will keep our fingers crossed that all our systems work and that we get up there and back safely - so we can start the really camping with the WHOLE family.

oops forgot to add a picture - ooooohh aaaahhh aren't they sweet - one of Haily's first trips in the boat - Harness and Lead!!! - she had the tour and a good tug back when ever she tried to lean overoboard. That seemed to do the trick and she has never jumped out.

Hope to see you all one day out in the parks - I know our girls would love to socialize.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T&H0603.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	6444  
Old 05-06-2004, 06:39 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
::Looks at First Mate and Skipper::

"OOOoooh, AAaaaah!"
Old 05-06-2004, 07:00 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
One of the reasons we went the Airstream route was to be able to take our dogs with us. We love them. We always keep them on their leashes, and always pickup after them.

We have never had a problem with taking our pets with us camping. I have noticed that the State Parks in Florida, in our area do not allow pets while camping. Kind of strange, because this area of Florida seems to be a pet haven.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 07:33 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
This is my fear....as a non dog owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
There is nothing more anoying than having our dogs under control and having someones elses dog, cat or even KIDS for that matter - running up and creating havoc!
I have REAL ISSUES with barking and baddly behaved children, I mean dogs. I am always first to complain about barking dogs in the neighborhood. If I were to stand in the yard shouting for sometimes hours on end, I would be arrested. I am very fond of well behaved dogs, but there are few out there, OK, maybe not few, but more bad dogs to good dogs.

I don't want to stop for a nice relaxing weekend, and have to listen to barking dogs. When I went to Bill Thomas' rally, (just stopped in for a quick visit) a month or so ago, I was waiting for the group to return from whatever journey they were on, I walked around looking at everyones A/S. I was horrified to find a poodle in the front window of an A/S barking, and barking, and barking, and barking......On the other side of the dealership, I could still hear that anoying high pitched bark. Dogs like that should NOT be on rallys.

I hope to have a Bull Mastif someday, which is the giant of all dogs. So, it's not like I don't like them. I agree that animals are an extension of the family, but bad family needs to be left home...>LOL.

I've lost track here....Sorry....

Sharon, I can't wait to meet your babies, but I think it would be scary for them to meet all of these people, and be confined, and confused, all at the same time. Take them out for a fun quiet weekend so they can get used to their new aluminum surroundings...Hey, bring them on down here....Oh wait, no... you have a boat, so yes, we need to come up there.

Thanks for letting me vent my opinion as always.... I think this is post number 499 for me....Next step RIVET MASTER!!!! Yeah!!!!

Ron
Old 05-06-2004, 08:50 PM   #22

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
At one rally we had left the dogs in the trailer with the windows open and the screen door closed, so they would have fresh air. We were sitting in a circle with the other rally-goers under a shade tree not far away, when my husband looked up and said "what the heck is HE doing?" To my surprise I saw one of the organizers was at our trailer (because we had just arrived), and was going to leave some brochures for local attractions for us - inside. He was trying to open the screen!

Luckily it has a latch that holds it tight unless you know the trick to open it, so he couldn't get it open. I ran over and intercepted him, and thanked him for the brochures, then stuck them inside. The whole time the dogs were right inside the screen, not making a noise - just watching and wagging, wondering who this new guy was. I guess that's the plus side of them being used to petsitters, they are pretty easy going about new people coming around! Still, if he'd gotten the screen open, it would have been doggie-round up time! Who would have thought a complete stranger would try something like that?

I think there are more good dogs than bad dogs, the bad ones just make themselves more apparent!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 09:58 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
you;re probably right Stef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
I think there are more good dogs than bad dogs, the bad ones just make themselves more apparent!

It's that way with everything isn't it??? What a great statement....I wasn't trying to be mean, just took the oportunity to voice my ever present opinion...
Old 05-06-2004, 10:35 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Quote:
Thanks for letting me vent my opinion as always.... I think this is post number 499 for me....Next step RIVET MASTER!!!! Yeah!!!!
Hail Master of all Rivet Masters - but I'm sure you will not be master of the Mastif LOL - Giant of all dogs - boy do you need to do your research - they are "pusycats" with the right owners. But unfortunately too many Mastif owners out there mistreat them allowing the deep seeded breeding ("dog" instinct) to surface.

Besides having a good sniff up the ...well you know what....barking in various degrees is how the dog communicates - just in case some may not know this.
However a dog that barks excessively when left alone - such as the "lovely" poodle, has some serious anxiety problems that the owner needs to deal with - the poor thing is totally stressed out at being left alone!

Now acceptable barks are the two or three such as "don't come in" woof waaf woof. Then there is the "could it be them" Grrrrr ruff ruff grrrr. But the best is when you have several dogs in close proximity (Boating experience sorry no trailer stories yet) One dog has a great "swimming" dream and does the ahhwooof in their sleep - which of course wakes all the others up and they all have to say "don't come in" woof waaf woof.

Those are acceptable noises - but then there are the Human noises...... following many hours around the camp fire having a few - most sensible people go to bed before they can't walk straight - but there are always one or two that have great difficulty getting back to and into their boat - they usually sound something like....hmmm is this my slip??? oopps eerrr shhhhit nope (as he/she topples and grabs a bow rail which sets of a grrrr aboard)Then they start to laugh or curse more. Then it is off to the next slip and crash onto the dock the result of a missed step or stubbing of toe on dock cleat and @#$%^&*( followed by ouaaahhhh woof woof woof) now everyone at the marina is awake because of one "silly he/she" - and that is what I call "noise" polution.

Quote:
I am always first to complain about barking dogs in the neighborhood.
What about those people who collect A/S's and are constantly making a noise banging, sanding, buffing, singing and humming - when all I want is a nice sleep in So glad we don't live in a subdivision anymore - all we hear is a chorus of frogs and birds. Oh yes and the occaisional bark from the girls letting me know someone has arrived - or a squirrel is a bit too close to the house

Well Ron you will just have to hurry up and finish all your projects and enjoy one of them soon instead of busting your hump all day. PS nice upholstery job Tony - can you come and do mine - I have been procrastinating - now everything clashes for our first Rally!

Well said!
Quote:

So are there no activities for Dogs and Dog owners other than the Poop and Scoup area????? (plastic salad tongs are great for that - light for the trailer too I can not do the hand over bag and turn inside out deal - heave heave heave!!!)
Old 05-06-2004, 11:36 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
Even though there was never any question of whether they would be as good as gold - it would be like taking your dog to a big flea market or the "County/Municipal Fair" - Something Peter and I would not do - just not their cup of tea
Your dogs don't like flea markets? Really??!!
My two adore them! They get to walk around and strut their stuff, smell neat smells, meet nice people, get treats, get petted, all kinds of things going on!
We stopped at a large flea market in Virginia last fall. Now, keep in mind, we show both our silver male, and our cream girl. Big standard poodles, Calla is 24 inches at the shoulder, and Trooper is nearly 27 inches. Big dogs. In show coat and show clip. Ready to show, most people think the clip looks pretty ridiculous, but between shows, with the long hair of the topknot and mane in bands, well most people are plain astounded or shocked, and laugh or get the giggles! To add insult, Calla was almost over her estrus cycle, but still being kept in britches for safety and hygenic reasons. She is wearing Lil' Swimmers, a disposal swimming diaper for non potty trained kids, in blue and turquoise, and has matching blue and turquise bands in her hair. She thinks she looks quite fetching, and is satisfied she is receiving her fair share of attention from the general public. Both dogs are used to the hustle and bustle of dog shows, so a flea market is a piece of cake. Many people interacted with the dogs, and they were excellent ambassadors for the breed. One guy wanted to know if they were rare, and I gave my spiel about finding a reputable breeder and not buying from a pet store. He finally stopped me and let me know he wanted to know where he could buy britches like that for his cocker spaniel! All went well, great in fact. Until we saw, and heard, the screaming woman at the far end of the shed.... she stood at the very far end, bellering and hollering "Them's SHOW DOGS! I knowed it! See them show dogs! Just looky that! Show dogs!" Later, it was funny as he**!!
You know your dogs best, and you must make the best decisions for all of you. For what it's worth, I think your decision to not take the dogs along for your first excursion to a large rally is a very sound one. But do take your dogs in the future. Us trying to be responsible types need to iffset those irresponsible types that need their butts kicked! Something I do any time we have the x-pens set up is hang poop bags on the fence, right out in plain sight. The brand we use happens to be a neon ping so they are very visible. We offer bags to anyone who might need one. And i've been known to holler at someone to come get a bag and clean up after YOUR dog! Because, damn, I hate stepping in the stuff, if you know what I mean.

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 05-07-2004, 01:15 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
Has anyone tried the anti-bark collar on their dogs when it would be inappropriate for them to bark? I'm still waffling on taking my dog along. Despite being 50 lbs ,she's queen of the neighborhood dogs, and I wouldn't trust her with any strange nonintroduced dog. By the way she makes NO sound going after the squirrels. Just sneaks on her belly, til the great dash that ends in laughing squirrels up the tree. So is having a dog on a run between 2 trees bad?, in an RV camp? she is used to that (during UPS truck hours), but I wonder about other dogs coming up to her. thanks for advice silver suz
Old 05-07-2004, 02:11 PM   #27
Arr, we captain our ship!

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
My question is this, "Would you leave your 5 year old child at home or in a kennel?". Doubtful, unless Grandma was babysitting. Most of us treat our dogs as well as (or better than) most people treat their children.

Shock collars? Suz, it depends. We never used shock training collars out of fear that they might not correlate the shock to the bark or the shock to doing something wrong. We trained search dogs for years and felt that those invisible fences might cause problems for us for the exact same reason. Who knows, a dog might correlate the shock to "that big old pine tree over there" and not the line on the ground. Everytime he sees a "big ol' pine tree" he might refuse to go past it. With search and rescue dogs, you need them to think on their own and not just respond to a stimuli. I guess the short answer is, depends on your dog and your situation.

X
Old 05-07-2004, 02:15 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

<Shock collars?> I don't like the idea of electric fences either... but the citronella collars seem to work GREAT for many doggies. What do you think about those?