Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-29-2004, 11:09 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Try snakeless RVing!!

Having read all these creepy crawly posts I am happy to say I live on Vancouver Island where there is no such thing as a poisonous snake.We have no nasty reptiles and very few bugs that bite not counting the occasional mozzy or no see-um.

Come up our way for the most gorgeous scenery anywhere and salmon and trout fishing that dreams are made of.

The Island is much bigger than people think.It is the largest island on the Pacific and is roughly the size of England.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 11:11 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Sorry for omission

----largest island on Pacific coast!!
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 11:50 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Question Wondering

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIMILI
Some species of snakes will look for a warm, dark secluded area where to lay their eggs and then just abandon them there. A few weeks/months later they hatch and you may find yourself with a much larger problem! By the way some snakes lay hundreds of eggs!!
KIMILI,
I'm no expert but, I just have a hard time visualizing a snake carrying hundreds of eggs, waiting to be laid..Would you mind setting my mind to ease..(save me the trouble of searching, and enlighten me) Which snake is the "Title Holder" of this feat??
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 01:53 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Help...

Say U Guy's.....
Jus bn Readin the SNAKES agn....LOL, went out side 2 C what Toby was barkin at....& Y'll NEVER guess what I almost stepped on....a baby BIRD, fresh from the wall nestin box....kinda CUTE too, mind U, her MOMMA aint the same...kinda SHOUTIN at ME...2 BK OFF...I DID, & I almost stepped on HUGE SNAKE....OK...NOT so huge....alright small...OK, OK, NOT a SNAKE but a WORM....well it's similar 2 a snake...aint it....???....LOL. DO they BITE....
We DO VIPERS at My work place...only seen a couple, but heard a few HISS at me, when I sneak b'hind the water tank 4 a " P "...LOL...Chris.....
Old 06-30-2004, 10:45 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Back in the early 80's I was a working with a comercial floor installer for the summer when I was in High school. He landed a Job with Sprint to go retile all the radio huts at their Microwave towers all the way from Atlanta to Houston. These a prefab deals with a steel frame and a belly pan. In some places they bring these in with a helicopters. They didn't leve the A/C units (window style) and some were leaking into the hut and damaging the floors.

We had quite a few off the beaten path. One was in the woods in Louisanna back out behind a few big farms. The floor was rotten and we were having to repair it before we could tile. So I cut out a square and start prying it up with a crow bar till I can get my hands under it to pull it up.

I swear I felt something nudge my gloved hands. I get the the peice of ply pulled up about a foot and the VERY BIG MOMMA SNAKE sticks her head out the new hole I just made in her house. Her head was the size on my fist and honest to god had to be 10ft long.

I did what any 17 year old highschool kid would do. I screamed like a little girl dropped the plywood on the snake and ran out the door.

Well most of the crew including the boss and the guy from sprint are out there as I scream BIG SNAKE a few dozen times. Well seems there was a hole in the belly skin and this snake made a home. When I dropped the ply on it It decided to take off as well. It come out from under the hut and everybody was screaming like a school girl that just saw a mouse and running to get out of the way. LOL.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 11:11 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Ha Ha Ha Ha Haaaa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59toaster
I did what any 17 year old highschool kid would do. I screamed like a little girl dropped the plywood on the snake and ran out the door.

Well most of the crew including the boss and the guy from sprint are out there as I scream BIG SNAKE a few dozen times. Well seems there was a hole in the belly skin and this snake made a home. When I dropped the ply on it It decided to take off as well. It come out from under the hut and everybody was screaming like a school girl that just saw a mouse and running to get out of the way. LOL.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I can just picture that in my mind - like the old Godzilla movies! Hoo hoo hoo!

Thanks for this - lost a long time (15 years) family pet to cancer this morning, and this really cheered me up!

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 05:48 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Dave ---Mr. Turbo & myself are sorry to hear you lost a good friend. Good ones like that are hard to find.Time will dampen the blow & only good memories will remain.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 06:51 PM   #28
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Snake avoidance advice:

Always look before you sit....

I sat on a copperhead years ago - yes sat on it.

It was "resting" on on the cool porcelin shelf, just behind the toilet seat and I neglected to turn on the light. I still don't turn on the light..... it couldn't happen twice - right?

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 07:25 PM   #29
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd
norbert just forwarded this to me...

florida power and light crew found these little buggers when working at a airport.

john

ps, norbert, in answer to your question about wanting a job down there....

no friggin' way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That was the airport in Orlando. you don't want to know how I know that.
Terry
Old 06-30-2004, 09:19 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Gracias, Bogfrog.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 07:42 AM   #31
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Snake surprises

I once met a badly crippled fellow who got that way while riding his motorcycle at highway speed in cold weather. A snake stuck its head up around the tank, apparently roused by the engine heat. The fellow panicked and went off the road into a grove of trees. Ended up paralized from the waist down.

I was helping a friend strap himself into his glider when a snake stuck its head out around the rudder pedals. The guy almost knocked me flat getting out of the plane. There was an opening around the retractable landing gear where the snake found a way in.

While I was building my house in Colorado, I went into the doorless garage and heard a hissing noise. I figured that I had picked up a nail in a tire, so I stuck my head under the Blazer, only to find myself face to face with a 5' bull snake. I almost tore my head off getting out from under that Blazer.

When I first moved to Texas. my wife and I were roused by a loud crash somewhere in the house. I looked and couldn't find anything, so I stopped in the bathroom to relieve myself before returning to bed. I heard a noise behind me and turned on the light to find a very large snake in the bathtub. The crash was a ceramic soap dish breaking as it tried to get out of the tub. The snake had probably been in the house for some time and was probably searching for water. When I moved, I found a shed snake skin behind the piano.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 05:57 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53FlyingCloud
KIMILI,
I'm no expert but, I just have a hard time visualizing a snake carrying hundreds of eggs, waiting to be laid..Would you mind setting my mind to ease..(save me the trouble of searching, and enlighten me) Which snake is the "Title Holder" of this feat??
ciao
53FC
http://www.szgdocent.org/cc/c-egg.htm, http://www.guiabutanta.com/butantan/museu_butantan.htm and I can't remember the other one.

Anyway not all snakes lay eggs and abandon them, some stay with their babies and others give birth to live babies no eggs.

Some snakes have only a dozen or so babies others (I recall the photo in the article showing hundreds of slimy black snakes), have far too many!!

I'm not sure if any of these kinds live in the US but after a few trips to Florida I tend to think they might!!
Old 07-02-2004, 11:02 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thanks~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIMILI
http://www.szgdocent.org/cc/c-egg.htm, http://www.guiabutanta.com/butantan/museu_butantan.htm and I can't remember the other one.
Anyway not all snakes lay eggs and abandon them, some stay with their babies and others give birth to live babies no eggs.
Some snakes have only a dozen or so babies others (I recall the photo in the article showing hundreds of slimy black snakes), have far too many!!
I'm not sure if any of these kinds live in the US but after a few trips to Florida I tend to think they might!!
Thanks for the links.
I enjoyed visiting & reading both of them..
These days, you can never tell where they'll end up next`
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 11:23 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

1975 24' Argosy 24
Burlington , Ontario
Wink Snakes

undefinedundefinedundefinedundefined
I too had a snake surprise us. I stay on Saddlebunch #2 and next to us is a wooded lot. on going into Key West Fl. I stopped at a light and low and behold a Cotton Mouth came out from the fender well and started climbing up the window frame. The window was open.. All eyes became large, but I took a small package and pushed the critter and it fell on the ground.

On changing our shorts we cntinued on.
Heh heh.
Rae Baker Burlington,Ontario/Key West Fl.
raebaker06 is offline   Reply With Quote