Old 11-16-2011, 02:34 PM   #15

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
So glad to hear your buddy is doing well, what a scary thing to happen on a trip!

We also keep benadryl handy for our dogs. We had a dalmatian who was allergic to everything, and it helped him when he'd have an itchy outbreak. Just last week our younger dog was on a benadryl regimen for a couple days because it was time for her shots. Because she had a reaction in the past, the vet has us start her on benadryl before she comes in for the shot, and then day and night for the next three days just to be safe. She also breaks her shots up so she gets them a couple weeks apart.

Ask your vet, but ours recommended 1 mg per pound of weight, so a 25mg tablet is perfect for our 24 and 28 lb dogs.

She also gave me this advice - when you buy it, either get the authentic benadryl, or if it's a generic/store brand check the label to make sure there is no added medications. Some add aspirin to their formula, which would be very bad for dogs!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:44 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas

Forgot to tell everyone thanks for the well wishes.
Our dogs are like children to us. Im sure all of you are the same with your pets.

Thanks for the heads up on the off brands Stefrobrts, thats good to know.

You know something that I found odd yesterday, when the Vet told us to watch him for 50 minutes after giving him the second dose and report back to him.

We watched him very carefully, and I remeber being at the forty minute mark and there were no changes what so ever and I was getting really worried and by the time Mrs. S picked up the phone to ring the Vet to give the report ALL the bumps were gone and his face was loosing the swelling rapidly.

You know most Vets would have said half hour or on the hour but know he said 50 minutes and bam thats what it took.........So tell me he hasnt used that trick before.....

Guess the man knows what he's talking about, I sure was in question for a long while. Guess he showed me

Glad he did though. Since he didnt charge us a thing guess Ill have to stop by and buy him lunch one day.

MR. & MRS. S
--Streamin & Gleamin--
Airstreamless, but havent lost our passion for them. Currently looking for the next project!
Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:00 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Like a lot of you, we carry Benadryl in our dog care kit and have used it a couple of times. Our old Bichon (we think--he was a stray) used to have periodic allergy attacks for which our vet recommended Benadryl. (He has since gone to the happy hunting ground at a ripe old age somewhere in his teens, in people years.)

Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post
When I've been faced with severe upper respiratory allergies, I've hated the next-day effects of 50mg -- really kicks my a** and I always feel horribly tired.
I don't know your age, but note that Benadryl is contraindicated in geriatric patients (e.g. Virginia Geriatrics: Medications to Avoid in the Elderly ) Us older folks don't metabolize the stuff quite as quickly resulting in higher peak levels and resulting side effects. I used to take 50 mg at bedtime when suffering from a cold but today would be reluctant to take 25 mg--like you say, the stuff really gives me a hangover.

Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote