Old 08-25-2007, 10:19 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
It is such a sad time when you lose a family pet. Our 14 year old indoor silver tabby cat disappeared last winter and has never been found. No closure here and it hurts. The good thing is that there are so many pets that a living good lives while giving back the love and attention they themselves are shown. I spend time each day with our two outside cats and the 5 year old female Boxer my daughter gave my son still living at home. The Boxer's owner went into a nursing home and had no one to care for her. She seems to be having the time of her life and the cats are starting to warm up to her.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 10:36 PM   #30
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Meet Curtis, a year and a half Caviler King Charles Spaniel...
happy times ahead for the new pooch...

and the pet tenders too.

cavs are cool.

the lap dogs of royalty!

he's found his spot nicely.

woof woof

2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:21 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Curtis is soooo cute!!! Kudos and karma, Jack, for rescuing him. I know he has the best of homes and will create his own special place in your lives.

• • • Aluminocentricity • • •
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:41 AM   #32
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Congrats Jack,

Beautiful dog...we have 2 cocker spaniels and one of them, Maggie, is colored just like Curtis...

We too have just rescued a yellow lab-retriever mix from a local shelter...3 months old and her name is Jessie...she is so loving and seems so grateful to have a good home...

Many happy years to you guys...

G

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 10:49 AM   #33

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Well our happy times with the new pooch are somewhat tempered this week. We took Curtis to the vet to get checked out and found that he is suffering with Patella Luxation on his two back legs. In essance his knee caps float which if left untreated will lead to arthritus. Our dog Bandit who was the reason for this thread, was let go because of severe arthritus. Based on my quick study at this point, I realize now that Bandit may have had the same problem, although more of a situation where his problem may have been injury induced rather than genetically disposed. We thought Bandit's little skip walk was cute, but now I know it was a warning of a knee problem probably cause by jumping.

The good news it looks like is that Curtis may be even younger than the dog shelter folks knew based on our vets examination of his teeth. So he is a very young dog maybe more of a year old than 19 months. I'm cringing to think about what surgery will cost but I'm also concerned about outcome. Obviously he's is moving around fine today, and I can pass on surgery but the end result of not doing anything is fresh in my mind, and the sooner we take care of this the less chance of arthritus. Apparently toy dogs have this potential problem and it's really a case of bad breeders not doing their part to keep genetically defective dogs out of the breeding pool.

Has anyone gone through this surgery with their dog and can give me some advice here?

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 02:28 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Jack-

We lost our feisty Eskimo Vanna 2+ years ago after 14 great years together following her unwelcome stay in the shelter as a young lost dog... Seeing Stef's picure and story has brought back many memories. After losing my wife's cat within 30 days, we're still working on plan to get another dog...

Family members have had pair of Cavalier's, and breeder problems very common with dogs so cute and pricey.. Though affectionate, bad genes might manifest in other ways as well..

I know I'll appear heartless, and apologize to all in advance, but I'm not sure I'd recommend beginning new life with shelter dog with expensive and iffy surgery, and possibility of further genetic difficulties... Sadly, there are so many shelter dogs and dogs available from responsible breeders that it might make more sense to start on better "footing"... (sorry for pun...)

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vanna_Jun03.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	44149  

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:54 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Well our happy times with the new pooch are somewhat tempered this week. We took Curtis to the vet to get checked out and found that he is suffering with Patella Luxation on his two back legs. In essance his knee caps float which if left untreated will lead to arthritus. Our dog Bandit who was the reason for this thread, was let go because of severe arthritus. Based on my quick study at this point, I realize now that Bandit may have had the same problem, although more of a situation where his problem may have been injury induced rather than genetically disposed. We thought Bandit's little skip walk was cute, but now I know it was a warning of a knee problem probably cause by jumping.

The good news it looks like is that Curtis may be even younger than the dog shelter folks knew based on our vets examination of his teeth. So he is a very young dog maybe more of a year old than 19 months. I'm cringing to think about what surgery will cost but I'm also concerned about outcome. Obviously he's is moving around fine today, and I can pass on surgery but the end result of not doing anything is fresh in my mind, and the sooner we take care of this the less chance of arthritus. Apparently toy dogs have this potential problem and it's really a case of bad breeders not doing their part to keep genetically defective dogs out of the breeding pool.

Has anyone gone through this surgery with their dog and can give me some advice here?

Jack
Hey Jack...sorry to hear Curtis is having this problem. I'm here to let you know it is not the end of a happy life.

We have two cockers...Annie, who is now almost 12 and Sadie, who is about 9... When we first rescued Annie from the pound, she was about 2 years and very undernourished less than 1/2 her correct weight)...and as soon as we fattened her up a bit, her back legs began to go out on a routine basis...you guessed it...Patella Luxation. We don't know if it was all hereditary because of her poor nourishment as a puppy. When she was about 3 we had both her legs operated (one at a time—they did the worst one first—they won't do them at the same because the need 3 legs to get around). We have not regretted it, though it was expensive...about $1000 per leg at that time...we had to take her to Phoenix for the surgery..under the knife in the AM, done, coming out of aneshtesia and ready to go home by late afternoon (Dr. Bones was the surgeon, if you can believe that!)... This was eight years ago. She has been fine since and has a unique loping gate that is rather endearing. (That was only one of her medical conditions we have wreslted with...and over time the least expensive one, too...but then that's another story.)

About 2 months ago our other cocker, Sadie, jumped off the couch and landed wrong and threw her leg out...it went back in, but she was obviously injured and limping, unwilling to bear weight with it...to the vet the next day...the patella had slipped out and the tendons holding it inplace were "stretched"...we put her on anti-inflamatory meds for about a month and hoped it would heal to a point that the ligments would shrink back. She did vastly improve and she was showing no pain, but here and there she was still limping and favoring the one leg. We went back to the vet and had xrays taken to survey the damage...they said she has probably always had borderline problems but not to the point of needing corrective surgery. Also, a little evidence of arthritis can be seen in her bad knee. Her other leg seems less affected. We are waiting for blood panel results to come in, then we are taking her to a vet/orthepedic surgeon for a consultation. Our regular vet said the surgeon may tell us that surgery will not improve her situation since she had been on the edge for most of her life...and letting her heal naturally will be sufficient (though it is obviously a slow process)...then medication for the arthritis if it becomes necessary. On the other hand, he may recommend surgery. Or he may want to take a 'wait and see" attitude with her to see how whe heals. We will take his recommendation because we know what a difference it has made for Annie... These days the surgery runs $1500-2000 depending on the particulars (and we can now have it done in Tucson). Even at Sadie's age, if the surgery will help her have a better life and help avoid serioius arthitis problems as she gets older, we will go for it.

My advice is to get a consultation from a verterinarian orthopedic surgeon who routinely does this type of surgery. He/she will be able to assess the situation, and give you the costs and prognosis so you can make a solid decision.

Below are pics of Annie (lounging) and Sadie (playing dress-up).

Let us know what you decide and let us know how Curtis is doing...

TB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Annie 26Aug07_3_Low.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	44179   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lady Sadie_03_Low.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	44180  

Old 09-01-2007, 12:06 AM   #36

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Thanks. I hoping that since he is so young and not experiencing problems at this time, surgery will be less complex and hopefully less expensive. We have gotten a couple of recommendations for orthapedic vets in the locale so we will see what the $$ will be.

I had lunch with a non practicing vet today and he told me that was one of the first surgeries that he did in vet school. Apparently the dog he worked on couldn't walk and once recovered the dog was up and walking again. He noted that the success rate is pretty high for this type of procedure if done before arthritus sets in.

Glad to hear your cockers did so well.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote