Old 05-21-2005, 02:06 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
We took our kitty, Calvin, down to Florida from CT this past Feb (by car, not trailer) and we would give him the run of the car during daylight hours and only after he adapted. This took about an hour or so each way. We bungycorded his pan to the top of his pet carrier and he used it as needed. Since we did the trip in 22 hours straight we put him in the crate at night so when we stopped for gas we didn't have to worry where he was. He hated it in the beginning but got to like it better toward the end. Just give it time and they'll get used to it! Nice Kitty,Steph!

Old 05-21-2005, 03:13 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
I got Francis from the pound when he was about 7 months old. He loves riding in the car. He looks out the windows and walks around, sometimes sits in my lap. But he hates the kitty carrier. He will yowl and thrash around until you either go crazy or you give up and let him out. I think the key is taking them out a lot in the car. I would take the grand cat to my parents and he just got used to going places.

1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 10:06 PM   #31

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Well, I hate to say this, but the kitty I started this thread about is gone. Lucy was never happy as an indoor kitty. When we got her from the pound her card said she had been an indoor/outdoor kitty, but our previous cats had been indoor only, so we tried that with her. She moped around and trashed the house and refused to use her litterbox. So last year we started letting her out, and she loved it. She chased bugs, played in the snow, stayed out and got wet, encountered llamas, and cats, and played with our dogs. Seems like whatever we were doing outside, she was always nearby watching or getting involved. She made us laugh all the time because she would find the strangest places to hang out, or do silly stuff like fall off the deck railing and then look at us like 'what are YOU laughing at?"

We live on a rural acreage and we always knew it was a possibility coyotes would get her. Well, Thursday night she didn't come inside at bedtime. I thought it was just a nice night to stay outside, like cats do sometimes, but Friday morning, still no Lucy. Our friends keep saying that cats dissapear and come back, but there's nowhere for her to go around here, not without going a LONG ways. We alerted the neighbors, and the next house up the hill called to say Thursday night they heard the coyotes right outside their house, much closer and louder than usual.

I guess that's the price you pay to live in the country, and let your cat be a happy cat and have a fun filled life of adventure outdoors. Still, I feel really bad about it, and I'd give about anything to see her show up on the doorstep again, but at this point I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen.
Attached Images

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 10:14 PM   #32

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Our Airstream is baned LUCY.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 10:27 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Unhappy Sorry to hear about your loss!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Well, I hate to say this, but the kitty I started this thread about is gone. Lucy was never happy as an indoor kitty. When we got her from the pound her card said she had been an indoor/outdoor kitty, but our previous cats had been indoor only, so we tried that with her. She moped around and trashed the house and refused to use her litterbox. So last year we started letting her out, and she loved it. She chased bugs, played in the snow, stayed out and got wet, encountered llamas, and cats, and played with our dogs. Seems like whatever we were doing outside, she was always nearby watching or getting involved. She made us laugh all the time because she would find the strangest places to hang out, or do silly stuff like fall off the deck railing and then look at us like 'what are YOU laughing at?"

We live on a rural acreage and we always knew it was a possibility coyotes would get her. Well, Thursday night she didn't come inside at bedtime. I thought it was just a nice night to stay outside, like cats do sometimes, but Friday morning, still no Lucy. Our friends keep saying that cats dissapear and come back, but there's nowhere for her to go around here, not without going a LONG ways. We alerted the neighbors, and the next house up the hill called to say Thursday night they heard the coyotes right outside their house, much closer and louder than usual.

I guess that's the price you pay to live in the country, and let your cat be a happy cat and have a fun filled life of adventure outdoors. Still, I feel really bad about it, and I'd give about anything to see her show up on the doorstep again, but at this point I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen.
Unfortunately, these things do happen sometimes - having grown up on a ranch with all nature of critters, I know it's something that is always a possibility, with snakes, coyotes, and in more urban areas, cars. We've lost dear pets to all three.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 10:30 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts

We're hoping for your little fur ball to show up on your doorstep. Things do happen and it's sad when they do. We have two kitties, one 20 and the other 11 and they only are allowed outside with us and now they won't go out without our being there. Even at that people lose cats and dogs to coyotes who sneak up and dash out from under the trees. I guess the best part is that while alive all of us provide our kitties with a ton of love and get it back in spades. Let us know if she makes it back home.
Barry
Old 08-09-2006, 09:57 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Arcata , California
So sorry to hear about your loss. We've lost our alley cat 3 times only to find him shut in a neighbor's garage. He adopted us several years ago after living on his own for over a year so we have to let him be an outdoor cat. We have to accept the possibility of a shorter life in exchange for a happier one for our little guy. We put in a pet door for him and he'll come in and out to eat and nap throughout the day. Sure wish he'd like to take trailer trips with us. Jamie
Old 08-09-2006, 11:59 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
This really sucks steph. But remember last fall our Francis was gone for 2 weeks. He was in the neighbors garage as well. I think Jim Jordan told me that he had a cat that was lost for a year and came back. Crazy.

Kathleen
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 12:20 PM   #37

1968 17' Caravel
Well, first thing in the morning we check the front and back porches for her, I wonder how long we'll keep that up? I have a friend who's cat dissapeared 4 years ago and she says she still has dreams about him coming home, in fact she just had one last week! Cats sure have a way of getting into your heart!

We did actually take her camping once with us and she did great. I was thinking about taking her again, but finding room for the litterbox in our tiny trailer was the biggest issue, and our petsitter loved her so much I figured she was getitng spoiled at home while we were out camping, so life was pretty good for her either way

Old 08-09-2006, 03:22 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Stef -- very sorry to hear that your dear kitty has gone. I know what you mean about having an indoor cat that longs to be outdoors. Our Chessie sits in front of the sliding glass/screen doors all day long -- watching the birds, squirrels, chipmunks, butterflies, dragonflies... and chasing them in her dreams. But we live right by the woods and it's just too dangerous for her out there.

We saw a man at a campground in Maine who had a large portable wire cage set up outside his trailer, big enough for his two cats and a litter box. The cats seemed to love it. The chipmunks were tormenting them from outside but they just sat there with their eyes fixed on them, ready to pounce if they got too close.

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 10:07 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Missing cats

I had a Siamese that tended to get into peoples vehicles. He disappeared one day, presumably in the back of a repairman's truck.

About 18 months later, I found him in the barn, skin and bones. He was too weak to jump up on a hay bale and scared to death of even me. A couple of weeks of good food and he was his old self again.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:57 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Some wildlife

Two nights ago, I was lighting the grill in McKinney Falls State Park when my cat, on the leash, suddenly jumped behind me and growled. I looked up and there was a feral sow with 3 piglets following her going by about 20 feet away. I stood real still and she didn't seem to notice me. I was ready to grab up the cat and run if necessary. The cat and I shared BBQd shrimp. I season mine with Chef Pauls and set a couple aside unseasoned for the cat.

Last night, I was lighting the barbie again when the cat again reacted. I turned around and there was a beautiful 12-point buck not 10 feet away, just standing there quietly, looking for a handout. When he realized I had no food, he walked slowly away.

This morning, I walked the nature trail and there was a group of 6 10- to 12-point bucks right by the trail. No camera with me, darn it! Cat wasn't with me that time. The bucks eyed me for a while and then drifted away. They get real tame in the parks even though the parks are closed for limited hunting each year to keep the population in check.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 07:05 PM   #41

1968 17' Caravel
Wow, I'd like to camp there someday! That's amazing encounters. I think I'd keep the cat inside though

Old 08-10-2006, 07:35 PM   #42
Argosy/Airstream since 79

1989 29' Excella
Newport , Oregon
We're wishing and hoping...

Stef,

Our thoughts are with you and Dave.

We have two cats that travel with us; on the road they're quiet and stay inside the trailer at campsites, except when we take them out.

At home, they're very territorial. One of the them walks the property line of our lot - sometimes several times a day! They will run off other cats except for a select few of the neighbor kitties.

One or the other disappears every few months for a while, then finds his way home. Sometimes they just want to be fed, other times it's a trip to the vet to be checked over.

For you guys (and Lucy), we're hoping for the best.

Jim & Karen