Old 10-03-2004, 08:16 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat
I don't know how you store stuff...but if you have the room for a large bag of litter...
have you tried the "NO TRACKING/CLUMPING" litter. I don't buy my litter at the big stores (Target, K-Mart, etc.)...I get it from specialty pet shops; I find the cost ends up less because the claims are more true.
I travel with two cats and I carry litter in two places.

Part of it is in three big metal coffee cans with plastic slip-on tops. These cans, I place in the back of the cabinet in the bathroom, behind the little vertical wall with a strip of foam under them.. The cans ride on all of the piping back there and the foam prevents them from wearing into the piping. The rest of that space over the pipes stores spare toilet paper rolls. That space would otherwise be wasted.

In addition, in the wardrobe, I carry two squarish plastic jugs of about 2-quart capacity each, along with two similar plastic jugs of cat food.

With careful scooping, this amount of litter carried us through a 28-day trip with 2 cats.

I use clumping litter that comes in the big square plastic buckets. I have a litter catcher pad under the litter box, cut down to fit the shower. I just shake that out into the litter box. There is very little tracking elsewhere, and what little there is, I collect with a wet paper towel before showering. The plastic buckets are recycled at the Wildflower Center where they are used in the gardens until they finally fall apart.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 10:23 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Change of litter

I found it almost impossible to not get at least a few grains of litter down the drains, so I changed to a wheat-based litter which is biodegradable (but expensive!). I tested some by shaking a few grains in a jar of water. If any gets into the holding tank, the sloshing when underway will simply liquify it.

The cats accepted it without complaint and it is fairly low tracking.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 10:41 PM   #17
Site Team

, Minnesota
Cat hygiene

Instructions on how to wash your new Thetford or Sealand toilet:

1. Put both lids of the toilet up and add 1/8 cup of pet shampoo and 1/2 gallon water to the bowl.

2. Pick up the cat and soothe him while you carry him towards the bathroom.

3. In one smooth movement, put the cat in the toilet and close both lids. You may need to stand on the lid.

CAUTION: Do not get any part of your body too close to the edge, as his paws will be reaching out for any purchase they can find.

4. The cat will self agitate and make ample suds. Never mind the noises that come from the toilet, the cat is actually enjoying this.

5. Flush the toilet three or four times. This provides a "power-wash" and rinse".

6. Have someone open the front door of your trailer or motorhome. Be sure that there are no people between the bathroom and the door.

7. Stand behind the toilet as far as you can, and quickly lift both lids.

8. The cat will rocket out of the toilet, streak through the bathroom, and run outside where he will dry himself off.

9. Both the commode and the cat will be sparkling clean.

Sincerely,
Old 05-20-2005, 12:52 AM   #18

1975 25' Tradewind
Huntington Beach , California
Priceless!
Old 05-20-2005, 10:01 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Our two four-legged travelers

Here are our two little travelers - Laurel - a 13 year old, retired grand champion chocolate point Siamese, and Delmar an 11-month old pain in the... just kidding! Actually he couldn't have been a more delightful addition to the family. We adopted him last winter - he'd been rescued at three months from - of all things - the Burger King parking lot in San Marcos, Texas. He remains pretty uncertain of strangers, but once he gets to know you, he OWNS you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGEa.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	12298   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGEb.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	12299  

Name:	IMAGEc.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	12300  

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 11:41 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
We got our trailer about the same time as adopting our kitties. We'd hoped we could take them out, but it's really not worked out that way. The cats are terrified of anything outside of the rooms they live in--unlike past cats we've had, they won't go down to the basement or step a paw outside the house.

Our hope is that once finished with the trailer, we'll try to take them with us on a couple of weekend trips where we'll spend lots of time with them. Then maybe they'll settle in. The big issue is whether they should travel up front with us or in the trailer. I've heard arguments for both.

Mary
Old 05-20-2005, 12:16 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyinva
We got our trailer about the same time as adopting our kitties. We'd hoped we could take them out, but it's really not worked out that way. The cats are terrified of anything outside of the rooms they live in--unlike past cats we've had, they won't go down to the basement or step a paw outside the house.

Our hope is that once finished with the trailer, we'll try to take them with us on a couple of weekend trips where we'll spend lots of time with them. Then maybe they'll settle in. The big issue is whether they should travel up front with us or in the trailer. I've heard arguments for both.

Mary
We'd never let ours travel in any way where they weren't able to at least see and hear us. To imagine subjecting them to 500 miles alone in a trailer would be the equivalent of subjecting them to a mild 8-hour earthquake, which would be truly unimaginable.

We traveled over a period of twelve days, our last trip with the cats. Prior to leaving, we would sometimes take them out to the trailer and let them roam for several hours at a time, acclimating them to the space. They handled the traveling in the cab exceptionally well, and at the end of each traveling day, they adjusted immediately to the trailer as a place of quiet familiarity and stability. To subject them to riding in the trailer alone, in my opinion would never have allowed them to accept the trailer as a secure place to be, and as a result, never able to become thoroughly adapted to the traveling and camping experience.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 01:17 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Speaking of grumpy old lady cats...

...this is our cat Chessie, a Maine Coon. She rules the roost as you can see. We haven't introduced her to our Safari yet but if she decides she doesn't want any part of it I think I'll just let her have it her way.

-J
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	chessie.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	12310  
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 02:08 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Any tips on how to get started? She handled the ride home ok in her travel box, didn't seem too purturbed. I think she has real potential to be an Airstreamin' Cat!
Just in case you want to let her have the run of the vehicle Like Shari's seems to - love that louging spot - too bad our Haily was not that small - as the middle is the fav for her too.

Anyway Stef the best way to get any pet used to the car is to put them in it - without the engine running - just let them get used to it wonder around etc. If it is a nice day - go out put the radio on and read a book or something to give her more than just 5 minutes as many think is long enough. Let them get used to it by learning to settle for long periods.

The radio helps to provide noise - which will act as a distraction in the future when you turn the car on and let it run for a while. Next stage is to run around the block or up and down your driveway.

I hope you saw this post before your appointment to the vet. But you may be too late - if she is having shots at the vet - then many animals associate their first or second ride in the car with the "trip to the Vet" - so it will be a good thing once you get home to take the cat back out in the car about 1/2 hour after you have been home - take a treat with you - drive somewhere stop and then give ***** a treat.

We have only dog experience - but I would think it works on the same principle. But I am sure many cats love their cat boxes crates more than being open in the car (safer).

However - both dogs we crated and brought them home as puppies turned out to be terrible travellers. The next two next three we either had on our lap in a big blanket or in a open top container filled with cuddly blankets (all 8 week old puppies) These three just love(d) the car. And with Taz and Haily we will quite often let them use the car on our driveway as a big safe "dog house" while we are working around the yard.

Good luck with your kitty kat.

Hmmmm just can not get around the idea of having a kitty litter in a trailer - I can not stand the smell of cat amonia in their pee mixed with freshener in the kitty sand - too bad you could not train your cats to use the toilet like "Twinks" could

But I guess a big wet dog in a trailer would be offensive to the "Cat-Only" owners
Old 05-20-2005, 02:49 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
But I guess a big wet dog in a trailer would be offensive to the "Cat-Only" owners
You're right! I love dogs, grew up with them...but only outdoors or in a big space, can't imagine sharing our tiny trailer with one. Don't get mad at me...I just am confirming your suspicion ~ if I had a dog, I would probably feel differently, but I don't.

Shari

BTW when I had dogs, I hated cats...go figure!
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 03:10 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
You're right! I love dogs, grew up with them...but only outdoors or in a big space, can't imagine sharing our tiny trailer with one. Don't get mad at me...I just am confirming your suspicion ~ if I had a dog, I would probably feel differently, but I don't.

Shari

BTW when I had dogs, I hated cats...go figure!
Now that is simply not done with women - we don't get mad at the fact that we each are entitled to our own opinions and that opinions expressed are simply nothing to do with being right or wrong they just are what they are -but if you look at the men on this forum - hmmm have an opinion that is different to their own look out - you are likely to have an all and all out cat and dog war

I like cats as much as I like kids - "Other Peoples" But they could not fit into our lifestyle - not too mention they propably would not survive too long out here - and well Haily and Taz are beyond the age of "liking cats" They proved that with our neighbours across the road - they said they had dog cats - as they do have two Chocolate labs - but both are the size of a barn (sad really) but they insisted that we bring our girls over - I told them that Haily would chase the cat for sure thinking it might be a rabbit or a big chipmonk - sure enough it took all of 10 seconds for Haily to tree the cat unfortunately the tree the little fellow choose was about 75 feet tall and the first branch was 65 feet up - guess who stay up there a while!

Moral - we have all tried most things at one time or another - and we did the cat scene too - for all of about a year - when this little sweetie was chased off by Racoons and was never to be found again.

However we trained Nikki like a dog - she sat, played fetch and walked on a leash - but we could not managae that house training thing - and my biggest yuk was the fact that the kitty litter for Nikki could not have a single pee or poop in it - or she would go in my plant containers so I had to clean it everyday. But she was cute and we missed her terribly when we lost her - even though she was the only pet we had that did the most damage to our furniture.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Nikki .jpg
Views:	132
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	12312  
Old 05-20-2005, 03:24 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
, Iowa
A Niffty Arrangment

My feline buddy (Molly) isn't a traveller. She enjoys spending time in the trailer but detests riding in a car. So, she is a true driveway camper.
But, a few years ago I met some folks whose cat camped with them regularly.
I thought it neat what they had devised for litter box storage/useage and, since my Airstream has the same 'rear trunk' access, thought I would make a similar modification should I ever convince Molly to camp with me.
These people had opened an access at the rear of the trailer (in my case, it would take only the removal of a vent cover & screen), constructed a short, plywood, run that leads the cat to its covered litter box.
This way the box is kept in the 'trunk' space, out of the main coach, and they cleaned the box, daily, by opening the outside 'trunk' door and removing the litter box cover.
I thought this was really slick.
WBCCI #4568
MarkE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 04:24 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
I have met a couple of full timers who keep their cats in the trailer. They felt that it was less disruptive to the cats, who had a hard time getting used to travelling. The cats just kept to their own business, could get to their litter box whenever wanted, and pretty much kept to sleeping in their special spots.

The shake factor is a consideration, but hopefully, most of it will go away with new axles!

Mary
Old 05-20-2005, 07:42 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Sierra Vista , United States
Dos gatos International

Pahaska,
We use the wheat litter also. The pan lives in the shower stall. The cats own the flat area at the back of the couch and behind the wrap around sun screen. Great for watching outdoor critters without being seen.
KL