Old 03-19-2017, 05:20 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
So your thinking that a laptop, with a camera, with a cellular connection that you can only tell what the temp is IF/WHEN you happen to access it, to see, is more economical than a one time $200 small box?
You would need to check it all the time to "see" what the temp is and then with that you need to have enough band width to carry the entire video signal or you won't see anything, drop out of 4G coverage and you can bet you won't be able to access it. The SMS that the Pump Alarm sends out is a micro burst and in areas where you can't get enough signal for a phone call, it can still send it the message as soon as it can ping the system.
The inputs could easily be reconfigured to connect to either your current thermostat or just hang a new one, set the temp you want and then it will alert you when the contract is made.
Nevermind the power needed to run the laptop and camera
Just do it right the first time and it will be more "economical" in the long run.

RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:35 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Jericho , Vermont
We researched this for quite a while for the same reasons. Our dog and cat sometimes have to spend the day alone in the trailer while we're out hiking, and the ability to monitor temperature helps our peace of mind. We bought a SensorPush (search it on Amazon), and added the WiFi gateway so that we can connect through our hot spot instead of just Bluetooth. Since the gateway can also run off battery (we use a RavPower 23000mh) it means that we can still monitor temps when we're boondocking and don't want to run off the inverter.

We had looked at other monitors, but couldn't match the SensorPush for cost, features, and flexibility.

Dan

VTSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:06 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Apollo Beach , Florida
Here is the system I use. It costs less than $200 to set up and uses two cellphones which you may already have. Here is what I posted in my generator thread:

One of my primary uses for the generator is to have an air conditioned space for my dog for quick stops while traveling. With the generator, we can stop in hot weather for a sit down meal or a quick site seeing tour and have a cool place for my dog. I have set up a monitoring system for the trailer that will call my cellphone if the power goes off or if the temperature rises above 85 degrees. If the generator stops, I get a call. If the A/C breaks, I get a call.

The parts to build this Travel Trailer Pet Monitoring system are 1) two cellphones, one for inside the Airstream and one to carry with you, 2) a Home Sitter 700 call out alarm https://www.amazon.com/Control-Produ.../dp/B002MUAIP8 3) XLink Cellular Bluetooth Gateway https://www.amazon.com/Xtreme-Techno.../dp/B00135XU7Q to send the call from the Homesitter to your bluetooth cellphone 4) an inverter https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-Power-...estek+inverter to power the bluetooth gateway in a power failure. I use this system to both monitor the travel trailer when I make extended stops on the road and when I leave the dog in hot weather.
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:52 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
RV Temp Monitor System

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSmitty View Post
We researched this for quite a while for the same reasons. Our dog and cat sometimes have to spend the day alone in the trailer while we're out hiking, and the ability to monitor temperature helps our peace of mind. We bought a SensorPush (search it on Amazon), and added the WiFi gateway so that we can connect through our hot spot instead of just Bluetooth. Since the gateway can also run off battery (we use a RavPower 23000mh) it means that we can still monitor temps when we're boondocking and don't want to run off the inverter.

We had looked at other monitors, but couldn't match the SensorPush for cost, features, and flexibility.

Dan

Dan, I did the research and should receive my SensorPush and gateway tomorrow. I haven't decided on the RavPower option. I have a Verizon Mifi so I'll play with it all to see how it works best for us. Thanks for the post and we'd be interested in any lessons learned. Ps. We love visiting Vermont. Our son lives in Burlington and works for Vermont Creamery.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5220.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	309.6 KB
ID:	282789
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:34 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Jericho , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTravelers View Post
Our son lives in Burlington and works for Vermont Creamery.
We both worked in Burlington before retirement, and it's a great town. I hope your son's a skier or rider, as it turned out to be a pretty decent winter on the slopes. Now if the rest of the snow in the valley would melt so I can go golfing...

We just bought a second SensorPush to keep in the refrigerator and alert us if there's any high temp issues. If you have any questions about the sensor or the gateway don't hesitate to contact the company; their support is really good, and all my questions received a quick response from the owners.

Nice pups!

Dan
Old 04-12-2017, 09:15 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
I ordered the Sensor Push and gateway since it doesn't need 2 phones-- I often travel without hubby so I don't always have his phone and we do have the mifi. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:59 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
The SensorPush very easy to set up. But, the Rav battery isn't powering the Gateway. I got the 22000 because didn't see the 2300 on Amazon. Did I get the wrong battery?
Old 04-17-2017, 12:08 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Jericho , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by knotdonne View Post
The SensorPush very easy to set up. But, the Rav battery isn't powering the Gateway. I got the 22000 because didn't see the 2300 on Amazon. Did I get the wrong battery?
knotdonne,

Either of the RavPower backups should work in theory since they provide the 5V/2A that the gateway requires, but it's possible that the 22000 is not compatible. The 23000 has the USB ports, but also a line-out plug for fixed DC voltage; the 22000 only outputs through the USB ports, and uses "iSmart technology" which varies the voltage and amps based on device need. It may be that the gateway does not like the variable power source of the 22000. If you're not sure I'd check with SensorPush to see if it's compatible first, as applying the wrong power to it could damage the gateway.

Dan
Old 04-18-2017, 07:24 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Thank you. I sent your post to Sensor Push to ask them if that's why it's not working.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:26 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Here's a new device to monitor the ambient temp for your dog.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:57 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Jericho , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by knotdonne View Post
Thank you. I sent your post to Sensor Push to ask them if that's why it's not working.
It could be that you just had the wrong cable. I've done more testing with the SensorPush gateway, and it works fine "off the grid". While it's built to take its power through the supplied 120V AC wall plug and DC connector, it can also be powered through the USB port on the side. The best ways to power it when you don't have hookups are:

1) Run it from a 12V DC cigarette lighter plug. To do this, you need a car charger/USB adaptor (like the "AUKEY CC-S1 Car Charger" you can find on Amazon) and a USB male-to-male cable (like the "C2G 54170 USB 3.0 A Male to A Male Cable", also Amazon). The specific cable should be chosen based on your length needs (3 foot, 6 foot, etc.), and while I didn't test it I don't see any reason that a USB 2.0 cable wouldn't work as well.

2) Run it from a portable charger such as the RavPower. In this case, all you need is the charger and the same USB male-to-male cable above. If you have a portable charger with a choice of USB outputs (1 amp or 2 amp), use the 2 amp output. In my test I found that the gateway uses very little power; running off my RavPower 23000 mAh charger I got 24 hours of power and still had over 50% charge left.

With these setups, as long as you have a Wifi signal (either someone else's or your own hotspot) you can remotely monitor the internal temperature regardless of whether you have hookups or not.

Dan
Old 04-28-2017, 06:47 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
The new battery came this week and I'll try it this weekend.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:48 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I have not been successful in getting an off grid power source to work with my Gateway 1. I have not tried the USB port, but it seems to me that is for supply power from the Gateway not to it.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 07:07 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Jericho , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTravelers View Post
I have not been successful in getting an off grid power source to work with my Gateway 1. I have not tried the USB port, but it seems to me that is for supply power from the Gateway not to it.
Assuming that you're talking the SensorPush gateway, the USB port is the way to go. Any input that supplies standard USB power (5V/2A) will do the trick. My earlier post listed all the ways I've tried it; anything beyond that you're your own test pilot. According to SensorPush the USB port was included for "future functionality", but it also works as a power alternative.

Dan