Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-15-2017, 08:59 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member
 
knotdonne's Avatar
 
2006 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 63
Images: 2
The SensorPush very easy to set up. But, the Rav battery isn't powering the Gateway. I got the 22000 because didn't see the 2300 on Amazon. Did I get the wrong battery?
__________________

__________________
knotdonne
2007 Airstream Interstate
knotdonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:08 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member
 
VTSmitty's Avatar
 
2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Jericho , Vermont
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by knotdonne View Post
The SensorPush very easy to set up. But, the Rav battery isn't powering the Gateway. I got the 22000 because didn't see the 2300 on Amazon. Did I get the wrong battery?
knotdonne,

Either of the RavPower backups should work in theory since they provide the 5V/2A that the gateway requires, but it's possible that the 22000 is not compatible. The 23000 has the USB ports, but also a line-out plug for fixed DC voltage; the 22000 only outputs through the USB ports, and uses "iSmart technology" which varies the voltage and amps based on device need. It may be that the gateway does not like the variable power source of the 22000. If you're not sure I'd check with SensorPush to see if it's compatible first, as applying the wrong power to it could damage the gateway.

Dan
__________________

__________________
Dan and Chris (and Lindy and Milo)
2013 Flying Cloud 23FB
2014 Tundra DC 5.7L / ProPride / Tekonsha P3
VTSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:24 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member
 
knotdonne's Avatar
 
2006 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 63
Images: 2
Thank you. I sent your post to Sensor Push to ask them if that's why it's not working.
__________________
knotdonne
2007 Airstream Interstate
knotdonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:26 AM   #24
Rivet Master
 
Wayne&Sam's Avatar
 
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,622
Images: 21
Here's a new device to monitor the ambient temp for your dog.
__________________
2014 25' Flying Cloud Rear Twin
2019 Ford Expedition Platinum
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:57 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member
 
VTSmitty's Avatar
 
2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Jericho , Vermont
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by knotdonne View Post
Thank you. I sent your post to Sensor Push to ask them if that's why it's not working.
It could be that you just had the wrong cable. I've done more testing with the SensorPush gateway, and it works fine "off the grid". While it's built to take its power through the supplied 120V AC wall plug and DC connector, it can also be powered through the USB port on the side. The best ways to power it when you don't have hookups are:

1) Run it from a 12V DC cigarette lighter plug. To do this, you need a car charger/USB adaptor (like the "AUKEY CC-S1 Car Charger" you can find on Amazon) and a USB male-to-male cable (like the "C2G 54170 USB 3.0 A Male to A Male Cable", also Amazon). The specific cable should be chosen based on your length needs (3 foot, 6 foot, etc.), and while I didn't test it I don't see any reason that a USB 2.0 cable wouldn't work as well.

2) Run it from a portable charger such as the RavPower. In this case, all you need is the charger and the same USB male-to-male cable above. If you have a portable charger with a choice of USB outputs (1 amp or 2 amp), use the 2 amp output. In my test I found that the gateway uses very little power; running off my RavPower 23000 mAh charger I got 24 hours of power and still had over 50% charge left.

With these setups, as long as you have a Wifi signal (either someone else's or your own hotspot) you can remotely monitor the internal temperature regardless of whether you have hookups or not.

Dan
__________________
Dan and Chris (and Lindy and Milo)
2013 Flying Cloud 23FB
2014 Tundra DC 5.7L / ProPride / Tekonsha P3
VTSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 06:47 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member
 
knotdonne's Avatar
 
2006 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 63
Images: 2
The new battery came this week and I'll try it this weekend.
__________________
knotdonne
2007 Airstream Interstate
knotdonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 03:48 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member
 
VaTravelers's Avatar
 
2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 393
Images: 1
I have not been successful in getting an off grid power source to work with my Gateway 1. I have not tried the USB port, but it seems to me that is for supply power from the Gateway not to it.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 07:07 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member
 
VTSmitty's Avatar
 
2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Jericho , Vermont
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTravelers View Post
I have not been successful in getting an off grid power source to work with my Gateway 1. I have not tried the USB port, but it seems to me that is for supply power from the Gateway not to it.
Assuming that you're talking the SensorPush gateway, the USB port is the way to go. Any input that supplies standard USB power (5V/2A) will do the trick. My earlier post listed all the ways I've tried it; anything beyond that you're your own test pilot. According to SensorPush the USB port was included for "future functionality", but it also works as a power alternative.

Dan
VTSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 01:06 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member
 
VaTravelers's Avatar
 
2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 393
Images: 1
Dan, I plugged my phone into the USB on the Gateway 1 and it started charging. Did you actually power the Gateway 1 by plugging a RavPower 23000 into the USB port with a male to male cable?
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 01:37 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member
 
VTSmitty's Avatar
 
2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Jericho , Vermont
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTravelers View Post
Dan, I plugged my phone into the USB on the Gateway 1 and it started charging. Did you actually power the Gateway 1 by plugging a RavPower 23000 into the USB port with a male to male cable?
Yes, and the RavPower kept the gateway running for 24 hours and still had 50% charge. Important: don't have both the standard DC power plug and power to the USB connected at the same time; it has to be one or the other. Otherwise you may toast the gateway.

Dan
VTSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:46 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member
 
VaTravelers's Avatar
 
2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 393
Images: 1
Success!!!! I plugged my Gateway 1 into my RavPower USB 2 and had 24 hours of solid connectivity with my SensorPush sensor. I used my Verizon Jetpack for internet. I am only looking for maybe 3-4 hours of battery power so I'm very pleased with the set-up.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:10 PM   #32
Rivet Master
 
2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 670
Since I full time with two pets and am a big tech guru, I've done considerable research on this.

If you are relying on ANY type of WiFi connection/internet for sensor and alerting, you are asking for trouble. Any Wifi based system always has multiple points of failure. You never want any Wifi is your chain of communications for critical systems.

IMO Marcell is the only way to go. Zero wifi-nonsense. Extremely strong transmitter/receiver to reach even the most distant cell phone towers. Internal battery backup. Let's you know when temp/humidity hits thresholds, when the power goes out, when the power comes on, all via text, phone call and email.

The best solutions are always the simplest solutions.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:21 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member
 
VTSmitty's Avatar
 
2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Jericho , Vermont
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTravelers View Post
Success!!!! I plugged my Gateway 1 into my RavPower USB 2 and had 24 hours of solid connectivity with my SensorPush sensor. I used my Verizon Jetpack for internet. I am only looking for maybe 3-4 hours of battery power so I'm very pleased with the set-up.
Glad to hear it! Sometimes this silly IT stuff actually works... If you get a chance, let the SensorPush folks know; they're interested in feedback, good or bad.

Dan
__________________
Dan and Chris (and Lindy and Milo)
2013 Flying Cloud 23FB
2014 Tundra DC 5.7L / ProPride / Tekonsha P3
VTSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:28 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member
 
VTSmitty's Avatar
 
2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Jericho , Vermont
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
The best solutions are always the simplest solutions.
Zybane,

No argument from me, Occam had it right. And the more links in the chain, the more chance one of them will break. The issue I had with the Marcell was that while it was a complete solution it didn't allow the flexibility that I wanted. I'm also not wild about monthly subscriptions, the cost can add up fast. But it comes down to personal choice; as with all things pet related, each of us will chose the solution that gives us the most confidence that our pets are covered.

Dan
__________________
Dan and Chris (and Lindy and Milo)
2013 Flying Cloud 23FB
2014 Tundra DC 5.7L / ProPride / Tekonsha P3
VTSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:45 PM   #35
Rivet Master
 
2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 670
I too don't like recurring payments. But the Marcell is such a brilliant simple and reliable solution, I figure a measly $8 a month (when you buy a year at a time) is well worth it.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:05 PM   #36
Rivet Master
 
damonbeals's Avatar
 
1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 516
We bought a Nimbel temp monitor from http://rvpetsafety.com

It was shipped quick, got it in 2 days. We used it on a weekend trip and where happy with the results, we set it to alarm us when the temp hit 75, and it did! The iphone app is easy to use and it is super easy to change the temp settings.

It uses Verizon IoT service, and you buy the cell service from them, either by the month or by the year.

They just updated the iphone app so it will alarm if the unit looses cell service, or goes on battery power (ie you lose power). We have yet to try those.

So far we are happy. I would check them out if lookin for a temp sensor.

Damon
#4827
damonbeals is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:27 AM   #37
Rivet Master
 
2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 670
Yes that one uses direct connection to cellular too, another good option (although about twice as expensive annually as the Marcell).
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:31 AM   #38
Rivet Master
 
damonbeals's Avatar
 
1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
Yes that one uses direct connection to cellular too, another good option (although about twice as expensive annually as the Marcell).
The Nimble is $179 for US only, or $199 for US/Mexico/Canada model. And the Verizon service was $150 for the year (even though the website says $200).

I do wonder if they are going to be around in a few years, as they sure look like a startup, but we took the chance.

Damon
#4827
damonbeals is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:14 AM   #39
Rivet Master
 
paiceman's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Upper St Clair, PA/Titusville, FL , PA-Summer/FL-Winter
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,865
Images: 1
Heat sensing option- nothing is perfect.

https://www.acek9.com/index.php?p=ca...parent=34&pg=1
__________________
SAFE TRAVELS

Bud
Starting to Look (AGAIN) Number 5 Hopefully
USAF Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 06:11 PM   #40
Owners of Willie
 
2019 27' Globetrotter
Chillicothe , Illinois
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSmitty View Post
It could be that you just had the wrong cable. I've done more testing with the SensorPush gateway, and it works fine "off the grid". While it's built to take its power through the supplied 120V AC wall plug and DC connector, it can also be powered through the USB port on the side. The best ways to power it when you don't have hookups are:



1) Run it from a 12V DC cigarette lighter plug. To do this, you need a car charger/USB adaptor (like the "AUKEY CC-S1 Car Charger" you can find on Amazon) and a USB male-to-male cable (like the "C2G 54170 USB 3.0 A Male to A Male Cable", also Amazon). The specific cable should be chosen based on your length needs (3 foot, 6 foot, etc.), and while I didn't test it I don't see any reason that a USB 2.0 cable wouldn't work as well.



2) Run it from a portable charger such as the RavPower. In this case, all you need is the charger and the same USB male-to-male cable above. If you have a portable charger with a choice of USB outputs (1 amp or 2 amp), use the 2 amp output. In my test I found that the gateway uses very little power; running off my RavPower 23000 mAh charger I got 24 hours of power and still had over 50% charge left.



With these setups, as long as you have a Wifi signal (either someone else's or your own hotspot) you can remotely monitor the internal temperature regardless of whether you have hookups or not.



Dan


Are you still happy with this device?
__________________

__________________
Owner of Willie
patriciahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Water heater temp adjustment-auto ignite system PeterH-Airstreamer Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps 13 11-15-2015 07:19 PM
Does the Micropulse Monitor Panel Monitor LP? KJRitchie LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators 5 03-21-2013 02:20 PM
Tank monitor system on the fritz mhilley Fresh Water Systems 7 11-27-2011 08:57 AM
System Monitor vs. Reality (black water)! Tom or Eva M Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes 7 05-14-2011 02:59 PM
Upgrade to a new system monitor? GoNomad Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 7 10-27-2006 07:02 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×