Old 07-27-2013, 09:55 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Review of a temperature monitoring / alert system

Hi All,

On our recent 3,500 mile trip from Texas to Savannah and back again traveling with our two dogs, we used our new RVNanny. This device monitors the temperature (and other things) and sends an text message alert if it detects a problem (more details below).

Our motivation for finding such a device was, on a previous trip in a different trailer, the air conditioner had a mechanical failure and quit working while we were out and the dog was in the camper. All ended well since I went back to check on the dog, but it could have ended badly in the Texas summer heat.

On this trip, I was quite impressed with how the unit worked, how easy it was to setup, and how the peace of mind it provided was worth every penny. Of course it is not a completely infallible solution since it relies on the monitoring technology and wireless service. But, it is MUCH better than nothing, and we frequently (every 20 minutes or so when it was very hot) would query the system to make sure all was well.

I will also say that we try not to leave the dogs alone in the camper often, and when we do, not for long periods of time. However, when going out to eat, or going to venues were dogs are not welcome, having this device is great.

DETAILS
=====
The unit is self contained, and about the same size and shape as a wireless router, including a single antenna on the unit. It is basically a cell phone that can send and receive text messages. You can also call the unit to listen. It works on both Verizon and AT&T networks.

You configure the unit by sending it text messages. You can also send a text message asking for the current status. The main things it monitors are:
- Temperature
- Power (either AC power or DC voltage)
- Sound levels
- Motion
- The unit's internal backup battery condition

You can configure limits for the following monitors, and it will send a text message when that limit is exceeded:
- Hi temperature
- Low temperature
- Sound levels
- Motion detection

It will also send an alert if the AC power is interrupted or the DC power falls below a certain threshold (it only monitors the power source it is plugged into).

The unit uses SMS (or text) messages to communicate. A few others we looked at used data. I think text may be better because we have found that when we have a poor signal, we can still get text messages, but not data or voice.

A few notes on how we used it
- We disabled the motion alert since it is a table-top device, and we haven't found a place to put it where it wouldn't also pickup our two 100-pound dogs.
- We set the Hi temperature alert to 85 degrees, and made sure we were always close enough to get back quickly if we got that alert (we never did)
- We would make sure we could send/receive texts at the base unit before we left the dogs.
- We would frequently check the status while we were out to make sure we could still contact the unit, and that the temps were ok.
- When we would get a sound alert, we would call back to listen in and make sure the dogs were not barking incessantly.

The cost is a consideration, of course. The price if the unit is a bit high (around $950), and you have to have cell service for it (from around $10/month probably). But as I said above, for us, the peace of mind was worth every penny.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:10 AM   #2

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
I use a device called Temperature Alert which monitors the inside of the trailer via a cellular connected device. It updates a server which I can access from my cell phone. You can setup text messages when conditions (power loss @ high or low temps) are outside of your selected norm. It can phone you and or email you as well. The cost is around $400 for the unit and $22 per month for the 15 minute update plan. You can suspend the plan when not traveling.

We have used this for over a year and are very pleased with it's performance. It is currently 61.3 degrees inside my trailer.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:34 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
Just purchased a temperature monitor called "Animalarm". It is a battery powered device with cellular capabilities which monitors temperatures. When the temperature reaches your low or high set temperature, the monitor sends a text to your phone with a status report. A new text is sent every two degree increase. The unit costs $172.00 dollars and requires a gsm SIMM card. If you are on a family plan with for example AT&T, the cost is $9.99 per month. So far works as advertised and simple to set up.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:54 PM   #4
NA

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude , WNY
Thumbs down Sorry I don't understand...

.....leaving a dog in a trailer un-attended that requires the AC to be on.
I would not be comfortable trusting any gizmo.

Just me I guess.

Bob
Old 05-06-2014, 11:01 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Issaquah , Washington
The 2012 summer issue of Airstream Life has a mod for your Fantastic Fans that will open the vents and turn on the fan if the temperature exceeds what you have set.

It's available to view at

ISSUU - Airstream Life Summer 2012 by Church Street Publishing, Inc.

Pg 12.

I intend to make this mod with a dpdt switch to allow both normal and this enhanced operation.
WBCCI #2126
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote