Old 08-15-2014, 07:20 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Windermere , Florida
Researching full time just came across a big fear

What if during the day, while we are away from the trailer, the power goes off?? We have 2 cats. I live in Florida. We will spend most of our time in Florida. Without the ac I suspect the trailer would reach deathly tempatures very quickly. My best idea are to leave a fan on.and maybe a pet camera.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:23 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
I think there are thermostats that can text you if the temperature goes above a set point. I don't know if you can buy one that runs on an independent battery.

aluminitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
We all have that concern with our beloved pets. Maybe a temp warning system with a message to your smart phone would allow you to get back to the trailer in time.

David
Old 08-15-2014, 08:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
I am not sure what conditions or scenarios you have in mind involving unreliable power.

Most campgrounds are on the grid - the same electric gird as nearby homes, businesses and apartments.

Now.... a few campgrounds may not always maintain their power plugins all that well, but you can judge easily how well maintained they are, and there are small meters to test before you plugin.

Perhaps if high heat is forecast, you may want to pull into a maintained newer campground.

An internet camera might ease your worries. Look for one that needs low band width (B&W, low resolution) because campground bandwidth is often limited.
Raleigh, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:18 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Windermere , Florida
I am not sure what nightmare scenario, I have in mind either. I guess, I am just in a major research and brainstorming phase. But, you are right .. Why would a decent campsite lose power for hours? Cause it wouldn't, right? Also, if the power gliched off quickly... the AS would kick back on? I have alway wanted a pet monitor camera, but doubt I could find the resources to run /stream it at many places.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
We all have that concern with our beloved pets. Maybe a temp warning system with a message to your smart phone would allow you to get back to the trailer in time.
With a wifi hotspot in the Airstream.....

this one would let you read the thermostat with your smartphone.
Honeywell Wi-Fi Programmable Touchscreen Thermostat + Free App-RTH8580WF at The Home Depot

this one says it sends temp alerts
http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-RET9...097654-6749138
Raleigh, NC
Old 08-15-2014, 09:50 PM   #7

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Researching full time just came across a big fear

Your concerns are valid. If you leave pets unattended in an RV in extreme climates then a temperature monitor would bring peace of mind and help avoid catastrophe. Power outages occur, breakers trip, and all things mechanical will fail eventually. We are not pet owners but something to safeguard a travel mate seems appropriate from my perspective and can be purchased for minimal cost. Most systems require an internet connection, which is similar to the way security camera systems are able to transfer images to your phone or tablet.

A quick search revealed this option:

http://www.solidsignal.com/m/product...111-101-E1-WGB

I'm sure there are others here much more technology savvy than me who could shed some light on this subject for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:50 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 407EBM View Post
Why would a decent campsite lose power for hours? Cause it wouldn't, right? Also, if the power gliched off quickly... the AS would kick back on?
For most campgrounds the odds of long term power failure are about the same as at home.

I guess what i had not thought about until your post was that the pets at home have quite a while before the house gets dangerously hot. The Airstream is going to heat up much faster.

I get it now

Yes if the power goes off when the AC is running, the AC goes back on with the power.
Raleigh, NC
Old 08-15-2014, 10:04 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 407EBM View Post
What if during the day, while we are away from the trailer, the power goes off?? We have 2 cats. I live in Florida. We will spend most of our time in Florida. Without the ac I suspect the trailer would reach deathly tempatures very quickly. My best idea are to leave a fan on.and maybe a pet camera.
I do not want to rain on your parade, just want to point out that if the power goes out, the fan won't run either.

With that out of the way, I share your concern about our dogs. That is why we currently don't take any of them. I have spoken to a friend of mine about this and since he has 2 dogs that travel with them he said they try not to be gone any longer than a couple of hours.
There are systems that will send an alert to your phone, but he doesn't know if they will adapt to a trailer.

We live in South Texas and yesterday it was 100*. Trailer was in full sun, door open, roof vent running, 2 fans running and it was 120* inside.

That concerns me. If you find a workable notification system, please pass it on.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:31 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Can be done

First if you can't find a shady campsite... consider finding a different campground. Shade is your best defense against high temperatures.

Next - do you have the full awning package, USE the small awnings even when you leave the campground. The big one - watch the weather forecast before leaving it unattended.

Most importantly is that VENTILATION can help prevent overheating and you may already have everything you need. There's nothing like having fantastic fans with rain sensors and temperature sensors, preferably one that's bi-directional (the one farthest from the bathroom vent.) I have the extra Eddie Bauer manual vents, so with those I'd open the one close to the floor for air input. It's not hard to set the fan(s) to start running at 78 degrees, and the AC to operate at 74 degrees. If the power goes off, the fantastic fans will kick in when the temperature starts to rise substantially. If you have a bi-directional fan you can have one pulling air in, and the other exhausting it. (And you can get a kit from Fantastic to change an an existing one to BE bi-directional.) If both fans are exhaust only you could leave one open with the temp set as high as it will go, and that will act as an intake vent - or you can open the shower vent.

This is a bit wasteful because the A/C will have to work a little bit harder with the vents open, but as long as the fans aren't turning it won't be too bad. If the power goes off, the battery will keep the fans working for quite a while.

Of course you can always make friends with a neighbor who is a stay-at-home type. Have them call you if the power goes out.

Oh, and always make sure the pets have PLENTY of cold water. PUT a big bowl with ICE in it out. Cats and dogs will drink icy water, and the ice will keep the water temp down for a longer time.

Paula