Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-26-2005, 05:40 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
rattlesnake vaccine

Our Bassets' vet just told us they have a vaccine you can give your dogs to lessen the effects of a rattlesnake bite. They get a shot, a booster in a month and then yearly boosters. The vaccine is geographically specific, so ours is for the West Coast. We are gonna give it a try and hope we never need it. Milo and Lucy's mom
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 06:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Is there such a thing as a genric vaccine? I was under the inpression that every species of rattle snake had it's own anti venom??? Maybe dogs are differnt than humans.----Pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 06:14 PM   #3
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
WOW - thanks for the info. This is good to know as our border collie has tried to herd these unfriendly critters several times.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 06:16 PM   #4
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Question

Is that the vaccine from Red Rock Biologics? I believe that one alleges that it is effective for half a dozen snakes in that one geographic area. Most, not all though.
I assume you have been told that post-bite, your animals will still have to have some treatments.

If your area (and dogs) have year-round snake exposure, I believe the regiment requires 6-month boosters forever.
Why don’t you just snake-proof your animals? You should be able to find snake-proof clinics integrated to most hunting/pointing dog clubs. Try, GSP, Vizsla or Weim clubs in your area.
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 06:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
We travel to the southern California desert and to Baja and hike near our house in the foothills. Never seen a poisonous snake in our yard--our cat brings us home small ?ribbon snakes. I don't know who the manufacturer is but figured its cheap insurance for a BAD event. Also saw an old thread where injectable vitamin C is recommended. Gonna do some more research on that.
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 08:38 PM   #6
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood
Why don’t you just snake-proof your animals? You should be able to find snake-proof clinics integrated to most hunting/pointing dog clubs. Try, GSP, Vizsla or Weim clubs in your area.
That would be my suggestion too. I know courses are offered around our neck of the woods.
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 05:08 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
This sounds kind of hokie to me, knowing what I know about snake bites.
A few months ago, a man here in Florida shot a rattle snake 5 times, with a shot gun. Thinking the snake was dead, he went to pick it up and it bit him. They went through 30 vials of antivenom in 2 weeks, and the man still died.

Best thing to do, is cut the head off and leave it for a day or two. Don't touch the head! Use a shove or tongs, after it is dead, to dispose of it.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 05:59 AM   #8
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Now that's the ticket!
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 07:44 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
cass , Texas
I have a recipe for rattlesnake somewhere. If anyone is interested.
krazeekalvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:50 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Our small dog was bitten by a baby rattler (they apparently let all the venom go at once...) a couple of years ago, and immediately went into seizures. We got her immediately to an emergency vet who fortunately had some anti-venon. It's not only hard to get, but it has a very short "holding" time, and has it's own side-effects. She was sick, and despite having a necrosis and abcess at the bite site, she survived. (Well she is somewhat bitchier.)
There is no scientifically proven vaccine or booster. The only preventative is to keep your pets out of harms way during snake season...And if they do get bit, stay calm so they do, and get them to a vet ASAP.
A good site for info:
http://www.news.ucdavis.edu/search/n....lasso?id=7763
Old 02-19-2007, 10:07 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick
This sounds kind of hokie to me, knowing what I know about snake bites.
A few months ago, a man here in Florida shot a rattle snake 5 times, with a shot gun. Thinking the snake was dead, he went to pick it up and it bit him. They went through 30 vials of antivenom in 2 weeks, and the man still died.

Best thing to do, is cut the head off and leave it for a day or two. Don't touch the head! Use a shove or tongs, after it is dead, to dispose of it.
It's OK to cut off the head, but bury it or otherwise safely dispose of it. You do not want a child, dog or cat to find it and get an accidental envenomation. The snake does not have to be alive to be a hazard.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 05:19 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Blue Heelers and Rattlers'

We are the proud owners of two 2 year old Australian Cattle dogs. We camp in the desert and high dry country and encounter rattlesnakes of all sizes. Usually under three feet long, and one over four feet long in Nevada this Summer.

For some reason these two dogs have a natural "fear" of snakes. They can actually jump up and backwards when they encounter a snake in their path. It is the snake that is stepped upon that is likely to bite. I have been told by the Forest Service rangers there are two kinds of bites. A large animal, including humans, can receive a "dry bite". The rattlesnake's intent is to keep you away and does not inject venom. The venom is for potential prey, and not to be wasted on cattle, elk, deer, dogs... etc. Then the strike that inject venom. Since my wife and I are watching the ground for "geological wonders" to be found, we do not miss any kind of snake. Tall grass is where you will step on a non suspecting snake and get a bite of one kind or other.

Two Rockdocking tips. (1) Always have a walking stick when you hike. You work the walking stick ahead of you, and that will help attract the accidently meeting. Not your leg. Wear long levi pants for more protection. I have a wonderful five foot walking stick selected from a forest on Easter Island, years ago. It also serves as a "nose knocker" for bear, grizz or whatever you do not want to get within 5 feet of... Longer stick, longer range.

(2) Wear a cowboy hat. Yes. The brim acts as a sound dish and you hear the snake before you see it. You also hear every step you make, but I kid you not. The snake will feel you coming before you even know one is near.

I have encountered many rattlesnakes in the west, even close to our tent in our tent camping days, and gently used my walking stick to move the snake along. I am more afraid of Copperheads and the "non" rattling poisonous snakes. Those I can not help you with avoidance. You either see them or you do not. Trust me. Any snake is not interested in having you as a friend and will try to avoid you. On a cold morning you can have little fear, as they are cold blooded. Until they warm up on a sunny day, there will be little to fear... usually.

The photograph is a rattle snake in the Monitor Mountains of Nevada and closer to five feet long encountered this August. Texas sized!

What do I really know about snakes? Nothing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2295.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	450.8 KB
ID:	45136  
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 05:26 PM   #13
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
I spoke to my vet about the vaccine. He told me that it is only effective against the Western Diamondback, which is predominant in this area. It will do absolutely nothing against the Mojave rattlesnake.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 05:30 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
geary , Oklahoma
down here in south texas we have them alot ,i was on the mower a few weeks back and ran over two but did not see the next one till after it got me HOLLY S*** good thing i had on my snake boots (first time i ever woar them ).first time i ever got bit
Old 09-11-2007, 05:42 PM   #15
Tom O

1966 17' Caravel
Altadena , California
Two of our local vets disagree on the use of the vaccine. A dog owned by friends in Acton was bitten by a rattlesnack. They were able to get him to a vet and were told that the vaccine had slowed down the process and that allowed the dog to survive. We take Mac to rattlesnack training about once a year. He enjoys just about any ride in the car, except this one. The training is pretty quick and seems to work. They sensitize the dogs to sight, smell, and sound. When he is out running around he very obvisously avoid the spots where the snakes have been seen. I did not get a flyer about the training this year, but will post the information when I get some. I think it was sponsored by Ducks Unlimited.

CA-7
Toldfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 06:29 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Rattlesake makes a wicked chili.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 06:35 PM   #17
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
It's pretty good roasted on a spit on over open flame. When I got tagged in 1993 by a six foot mama, we killed her and ate her.....after I got out of the hospital. My hand swelled, bled and I puked for what seemed like forever. That which does not kill you only makes you stronger!

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 09-11-2007, 06:41 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
We have killed five pygmy rattlers on our property in the three and 1/2 years we have lived here (one just last week along the house foundation in the dog's yard). I wouldn't worry so much about snakes here except we have a dog and all of the equines, and I tend to ramble about the property at times. I have gotten Brad to come run to me to see if a snake is venomous before he kills, it which is great. We have a big rat snake, some king snakes and racers I don't want to lose. We have also killed two HUGE copperheads going around the foundation of the house -- our last dog Buster wouldn't quit barking and when we went outside we saw why!

The pygmys were too small to bother messing with to eat.

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 06:44 PM   #19
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Up in the Appalachians, in MD and PA, scientists discovered about fifteen years ago a hybrid snake......it seems that Eastern Diamondbacks and Copperheads had the ability to mate, resulting in a snake that either had or didn't have a rattle, was twice as venemous and a hundred times more aggressive......I love nature!

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 09-11-2007, 06:44 PM   #20
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
It's OK to cut off the head, but bury it or otherwise safely dispose of it. You do not want a child, dog or cat to find it and get an accidental envenomation. The snake does not have to be alive to be a hazard.
Dave
When I lived in the back-country in SoCal in the early '80s we regularly had Western Diamondbacks prowling around the house. Unfortunately, once they nest they don't leave. I ended up killing a couple dozen of them in the car port and around the house in two years. An old timer also told me that merely because the snake has decomposed to bones, it doesn't mean the thing is safe. The venom can crystalize on the fangs and rehydrate to it's full strength. Rehydration can be by body fluids.

I made it a point of disposing of the heads in glass jars.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote