Old 09-11-2007, 06:42 PM   #15
Tom O

1966 17' Caravel
Altadena , California
Two of our local vets disagree on the use of the vaccine. A dog owned by friends in Acton was bitten by a rattlesnack. They were able to get him to a vet and were told that the vaccine had slowed down the process and that allowed the dog to survive. We take Mac to rattlesnack training about once a year. He enjoys just about any ride in the car, except this one. The training is pretty quick and seems to work. They sensitize the dogs to sight, smell, and sound. When he is out running around he very obvisously avoid the spots where the snakes have been seen. I did not get a flyer about the training this year, but will post the information when I get some. I think it was sponsored by Ducks Unlimited.

CA-7
Toldfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:29 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Rattlesake makes a wicked chili.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:35 PM   #17
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
It's pretty good roasted on a spit on over open flame. When I got tagged in 1993 by a six foot mama, we killed her and ate her.....after I got out of the hospital. My hand swelled, bled and I puked for what seemed like forever. That which does not kill you only makes you stronger!

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:41 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
New Holland , Ohio
We have killed five pygmy rattlers on our property in the three and 1/2 years we have lived here (one just last week along the house foundation in the dog's yard). I wouldn't worry so much about snakes here except we have a dog and all of the equines, and I tend to ramble about the property at times. I have gotten Brad to come run to me to see if a snake is venomous before he kills, it which is great. We have a big rat snake, some king snakes and racers I don't want to lose. We have also killed two HUGE copperheads going around the foundation of the house -- our last dog Buster wouldn't quit barking and when we went outside we saw why!

The pygmys were too small to bother messing with to eat.

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:44 PM   #19
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Up in the Appalachians, in MD and PA, scientists discovered about fifteen years ago a hybrid snake......it seems that Eastern Diamondbacks and Copperheads had the ability to mate, resulting in a snake that either had or didn't have a rattle, was twice as venemous and a hundred times more aggressive......I love nature!

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:44 PM   #20
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
It's OK to cut off the head, but bury it or otherwise safely dispose of it. You do not want a child, dog or cat to find it and get an accidental envenomation. The snake does not have to be alive to be a hazard.
Dave
When I lived in the back-country in SoCal in the early '80s we regularly had Western Diamondbacks prowling around the house. Unfortunately, once they nest they don't leave. I ended up killing a couple dozen of them in the car port and around the house in two years. An old timer also told me that merely because the snake has decomposed to bones, it doesn't mean the thing is safe. The venom can crystalize on the fangs and rehydrate to it's full strength. Rehydration can be by body fluids.

I made it a point of disposing of the heads in glass jars.

Roger
Old 09-11-2007, 08:18 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
New Holland , Ohio
Just an FYI - there are no poisonous snakes, since they can't poison you with their bite or if you eat their flesh. They are venomous (venom does not = poison). Everyone says "poisonous," though, so it is commonly accepted, just not accurate.

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote