Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-18-2012, 10:46 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
With a claimed range of 0.7 miles, it's not useless but not without significant limitations, and RF range is quite variable. This looks like it's for leaving dogs in a vehicle in the parking lot when you're in a mall or museum or something, not for monitoring your trailer when you're on a day trip.
It is designed for a vehicle, but I think it could be adapted to do some of it's tricks in an RV... for example, it can trigger windows to roll down if it gets too hot... this could be linked to any type of relay and turn on fans, or if you were really adventurous could open power windows.

Another option is a set of bars for one or more windows on the Airstream. Someone could whip up some custom aluminum bars, rivet them on, and then you can leave your window(s) wide open and not worry about anyone getting in.

Or, you could get someone at the RV park to take the pager, give them your contact info, and have them call if it triggers a warning.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:51 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets View Post
Good thread

I saw this device

Actually, the cell-phone version of this is much more flexible... has a built in battery backup, and can also send an alert when the power goes out. That would cover off the two biggies... no power, and too hot. But, you pay a monthly monitoring fee...

A lower-tech solution is a web-cam pointed to a thermometer in the RV... run in direct from the 12V and you'll get temperature readings, and can spy on your dog as well. Or, as security.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:03 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Valley Grande , Alabama
what we plan on doing

We plan on traveling lots during the summer since I am an educator and that is the most time I have off.

In addition to the monitoring the temp in the AS from my cell phone, we are buying a generator that we can turn on before we leave the campsite.

And I saw a post awhile back that seemed to be an excellent deterrent to theft of the generator. It's hard to describe it but it involves mounting it to a board and having one of the tires of the airstream rest on one end of the board and the generator on the other end.

If I find that post, I will link it.
holder310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:22 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I donno, holder... even with the set-up with the AS tire sitting on a mounting plate to secure your generator I'd still be concerned about theft if you are not at the site.

Also I would not use a board if you do this ...as it can be cut...a metal plate would be better. Here's a link to friends Fran&Mike's "lock box" thread for their genny...they did a great job of it... http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...box-67328.html They did a nice job of it...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:31 PM   #45
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
For anybody that's interested, I have written an article for Airstream Life giving a brief how-to on the Fantastic Fan modification. The article will be in the Summer issue. The parts required cost maybe $2, plus a couple of tools. I think our dog is worth at least $2. Maybe even more...
Old 04-17-2012, 09:51 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by holder310 View Post
We plan on traveling lots during the summer since I am an educator and that is the most time I have off.

In addition to the monitoring the temp in the AS from my cell phone, we are buying a generator that we can turn on before we leave the campsite.

And I saw a post awhile back that seemed to be an excellent deterrent to theft of the generator. It's hard to describe it but it involves mounting it to a board and having one of the tires of the airstream rest on one end of the board and the generator on the other end.

If I find that post, I will link it.
Hi, I wouldn't want my generator that close to my trailer due to exhaust fumes.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:01 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Valley Grande , Alabama
thanks for the link

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
I donno, holder... even with the set-up with the AS tire sitting on a mounting plate to secure your generator I'd still be concerned about theft if you are not at the site.

Also I would not use a board if you do this ...as it can be cut...a metal plate would be better. Here's a link to friends Fran&Mike's "lock box" thread for their genny...they did a great job of it... http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...box-67328.html They did a nice job of it...

TBRich,

This looks very doable. Thank you!
Old 04-18-2012, 03:04 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Valley Grande , Alabama
something to consider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I wouldn't want my generator that close to my trailer due to exhaust fumes.

You are right, Mr. Bob!

How long should the board be do you think to not impact air in the AS?
Also, where would be the best placement... Do you have any thoughts about it?

Airstream Forums are the best!
Old 04-18-2012, 10:04 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by holder310 View Post
You are right, Mr. Bob!

How long should the board be do you think to not impact air in the AS?
Also, where would be the best placement... Do you have any thoughts about it?

Airstream Forums are the best!
Hi, I plan on mounting my generator in the bed of the truck, that I hope to buy in the future. [of coarse this would only work while the truck was at the campsite] I believe that I read somewhere, someone welded a pipe to the plate, that the generator was mounted on and lowered the tongue jack into the pipe while un-hitching their trailer; This would put the fumes farther away and hopefully up-wind away from the trailer. I also read where someone made an extension for the generator's exhaust.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:23 AM   #50
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I plan on mounting my generator in the bed of the truck, that I hope to buy in the future. [of coarse this would only work while the truck was at the campsite] I believe that I read somewhere, someone welded a pipe to the plate, that the generator was mounted on and lowered the tongue jack into the pipe while un-hitching their trailer; This would put the fumes farther away and hopefully up-wind away from the trailer. I also read where someone made an extension for the generator's exhaust.
A simple thing like pointing the generator's exhaust away from the trailer helps, too. Common sense, yes, but it can be overlooked in the heat of the moment when setting up.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:25 AM   #51
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

What we do....

Out back, away from the trailer...

Bob
Old 05-10-2012, 08:34 AM   #52
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets View Post
Good thread

I saw this device

We plan on being on the road for a couple of month this summer. Looking at this device seems like a pretty good option. Unfortunately, Verizon is not an option, but the AT&T service areas seems pretty good where we are going. The unit will operate for 3 weeks on battery and there is a Droid app for real time monitoring.

There is a $21 monthly fee (15 minute updates) and the service can be suspended when not traveling.

Has anyone here have first hand experience with this unit?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:17 PM   #53
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
After careful review of the product and contacting the company, I purchased the cellular Temperature Alert system. I mounted the unit inside one of the overheads and the temperature sensor is outside of the overhead.

We will be traveling for a couple of months this summer with our two dogs and will be using this system to monitor the temperature inside of the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-05-31_11-05-05_494.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	159745  

Richard

Old 05-31-2012, 03:33 PM   #54
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Hey! how about a link, knowing you I'm sure you researched it well.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:52 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
For anybody that's interested, I have written an article for Airstream Life giving a brief how-to on the Fantastic Fan modification. The article will be in the Summer issue. The parts required cost maybe $2, plus a couple of tools. I think our dog is worth at least $2. Maybe even more...
that's a great fix! thanks
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:04 AM   #56
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Here is a gaph of the temperatures in my trailer yesterday.

Note: The trailer is in front of my house, the Air Conditioner is off and it was hot (111 degrees) yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	temps.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	159862  

Richard

Old 06-02-2012, 09:11 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
Here is a gaph of the temperatures in my trailer yesterday.

Note: The trailer is in front of my house, the Air Conditioner is off and it was hot (111 degrees) yesterday.
Wow, that's hot!

Hot enough to cause a dog serious distress.

Maggie
Old 06-02-2012, 09:26 AM   #58
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Wow, that's hot!

Hot enough to cause a dog serious distress.

Maggie
The dogs are not in the trailer, we are just testing the unit and setting the notification levels for our up coming trip. We are headed for cooler but more humid places. They are enjoying the pool this week.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1519.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	159877   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1520.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	242.0 KB
ID:	159878  

Richard

Old 06-02-2012, 09:54 AM   #59
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Hi Richard,

I haven't read the entire thread, but did you see the tech article in the latest Airstream Life magazine? It's the one that explains how to rewire a Fantastic Fan to open and turn on at a set temperature.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:30 AM   #60
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
Hi Richard,

I haven't read the entire thread, but did you see the tech article in the latest Airstream Life magazine? It's the one that explains how to rewire a Fantastic Fan to open and turn on at a set temperature.
That's a good option but;
Fantastic fans were not an option in 1975. Installing them would mean the loss of my overhear lighting.

Getting an update every 15 minutes while we are away from the trailer greatly increases my comfort level. The monitor will tell me if the trailer has AC power as well.

Richard

« Pet IDs | Top | A/S Dogs »