Riverhead , New York
Thumbs up

Good thread

I saw this device

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:44 AM   #30

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
The problem with these call out devices is I assume they must have wireless internet connection or cellular connection to work. I know coverage is getting better, but I can't even get good cell phone coverage at my house, and many places I've camped have none at all.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:09 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You know, we just wouldn't trust technology to keep our sweet Lily, or any other dog, safe. We just wouldn't.

She's just a shade less in need of protection, in our estimation, than one of our grandchildren.

Maggie
Old 03-18-2012, 12:15 PM   #32
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
The problem with these call out devices is I assume they must have wireless internet connection or cellular connection to work. I know coverage is getting better, but I can't even get good cell phone coverage at my house, and many places I've camped have none at all.
It's rare that our verizon card gets no signal

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
I see a lot of folks alluding to pets as security, and worried about 'thugs' breaking in. Is this really an issue, or just the typical "everyone is trying to kill me" Americanism?

Our Airstream has great big windows. Lots of them. It makes for a beautiful day to come back to a fresh-smelling trailer and the sounds of the other adventurers around us. If someone breaks in and steals my socks... oh well! I'm not going to live my life paranoid about such things. It's a waste of energy and ruins good karma.

Idiots are just a part of life... if they happen to cross paths with you, just know that their destination in life is rather set... while you still have the freedom to go wherever you please.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:06 PM   #34
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
You know, we just wouldn't trust technology to keep our sweet Lily, or any other dog, safe. We just wouldn't.

She's just a shade less in need of protection, in our estimation, than one of our grandchildren.

Maggie

X2!!

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:15 PM   #35

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
I see a lot of folks alluding to pets as security, and worried about 'thugs' breaking in. Is this really an issue, or just the typical "everyone is trying to kill me" Americanism?
I think it's paranoia. Who would steal from a trailer? They're usually surrounded by other campers, and they probably don't have lots of valuables in them. Plus you have to go way out of your way to even get to a trailer park. I've talked to people who have traveled full-time or nearly full time for years and never had an incident of any sort, and I think that's the more common story you'll hear.

My dogs aren't protection, I worry more about protecting them. Which is what this thread is all about!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:09 PM   #36

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
Half of the problem is easy to solve, at least. A friend of mine has a fun toy installed in his trailer, a Telular "cellular terminal" device that gives you high-wattage digital cellular service. (2 watts or so, the max allowable power I think.) The same website that Frank&Mike linked to sells various models from Telular.

This doesn't help the connectivity for your handheld phone, however, so even if the trailer has usable service you might not be able to receive the call on your personal phone.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:43 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Power Loss & Pets Inside?

I have always traveled with one or two Chihuahuas (short, smooth coat), and when camped with 30-Amp power this is how I handle their safety when I am away from the coach:
  1. Open the rear Fantastic Vent and set the fan on High
  2. Set the Thermostat two steps warmer than the setting where the fan will start
  3. Set the fan on Exhaust
  4. Open the bathroom window approximately one-inch and open the bathroom window awning
  5. Open the front Fantastic Vent and set the fan on High
  6. Set the Thermostat two steps warner than the setting where the fan will start
  7. Set the fan to Intake
  8. Open the lower jalousie window aproximately 1/2 inch
The above process is the one that I utilize with my '64 Overlander. When traveling in the Minuet, I usually follow steps 1-4 (the Minuet has only one roof vent) and no window awnings. Then I open both front and rear windows approximately one-inch.

Short coat Chihuahuas crave warmth and always insist upon their blankets when traveling in the air conditioned Suburban or when staying in either coach with the air conditioner running. When leaving, I always leave two one-quart bowls of water at either end of the coach along with their usual food bowls. Their travel beds are under the dining table, and the arrangement has worked well since 1995. This was my 24-hour arrangement throughout the WBCCI International Rally in the days before 30-AMP electrical service became available, and I never encountered any serious problems with the dogs. The most difficult International was in South Dakota -- we had one particularly hot day when I stayed with the dogs at the coach and let them swim in the bathtub in the coolest water I could get from the water supply (74-degrees from the cold water tap). The dogs alternated between their swimming pool and resting under the awning with me - - their fur would just get about dry and they would be ready for their next swim.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:11 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 Base Camp
This is one option...

F Series K-9 Deployment And Heat Alert Systems - Gen2 - Canine Deployment System

Stay away from crap meant to monitor server rooms and such... you are worried about a random thug going into an open trailer window, but will trust the life of your pet to a computer (that needs to be left on) running Windows (!) that needs to send a message using a Wi-Fi spot that is probably powered by the same circuit your now-dead RV is serviced by.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:27 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Thanks Very Much Kevin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
I have always traveled with one or two Chihuahuas (short, smooth coat), and when camped with 30-Amp power this is how I handle their safety when I am away from the coach:
  1. Open the rear Fantastic Vent and set the fan on High
  2. Set the Thermostat two steps warmer than the setting where the fan will start
  3. Set the fan on Exhaust
  4. Open the bathroom window approximately one-inch and open the bathroom window awning
  5. Open the front Fantastic Vent and set the fan on High
  6. Set the Thermostat two steps warner than the setting where the fan will start
  7. Set the fan to Intake
  8. Open the lower jalousie window aproximately 1/2 inch
Kevin

This is very helpful and the kind of guidance I was looking for months ago when I originally posted my inquiry. I just copied this onto my documents file of procedures that we carry in the Airstream. Thanks again Kevin. I appreciate the input very much!
Old 03-18-2012, 07:33 PM   #40

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
This is one option...

F Series K-9 Deployment And Heat Alert Systems - Gen2 - Canine Deployment System

Stay away from crap meant to monitor server rooms and such... you are worried about a random thug going into an open trailer window, but will trust the life of your pet to a computer (that needs to be left on) running Windows (!) that needs to send a message using a Wi-Fi spot that is probably powered by the same circuit your now-dead RV is serviced by.
With a claimed range of 0.7 miles, it's not useless but not without significant limitations, and RF range is quite variable. This looks like it's for leaving dogs in a vehicle in the parking lot when you're in a mall or museum or something, not for monitoring your trailer when you're on a day trip.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:46 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 Base Camp
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
With a claimed range of 0.7 miles, it's not useless but not without significant limitations, and RF range is quite variable. This looks like it's for leaving dogs in a vehicle in the parking lot when you're in a mall or museum or something, not for monitoring your trailer when you're on a day trip.
It is designed for a vehicle, but I think it could be adapted to do some of it's tricks in an RV... for example, it can trigger windows to roll down if it gets too hot... this could be linked to any type of relay and turn on fans, or if you were really adventurous could open power windows.

Another option is a set of bars for one or more windows on the Airstream. Someone could whip up some custom aluminum bars, rivet them on, and then you can leave your window(s) wide open and not worry about anyone getting in.

Or, you could get someone at the RV park to take the pager, give them your contact info, and have them call if it triggers a warning.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:51 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 Base Camp
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets View Post
Good thread

I saw this device

Actually, the cell-phone version of this is much more flexible... has a built in battery backup, and can also send an alert when the power goes out. That would cover off the two biggies... no power, and too hot. But, you pay a monthly monitoring fee...

A lower-tech solution is a web-cam pointed to a thermometer in the RV... run in direct from the 12V and you'll get temperature readings, and can spy on your dog as well. Or, as security.

« Pet IDs | Top | A/S Dogs »