Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-30-2011, 02:53 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post
Fly:

Our 11 year old cocker had never been in a porta-kennel (crate) and we got one in anticipation of traveling and she just loves it. We put her bed in it in the kitchen for about a week before our first trip (it took some extra treats to convince her it was safe to enter) and she took to it. We put it in behind the drivers seat and she rides there in total happiness. The couple of times we have left her in the AS, we didnt even use it and she just sleeps the day away like she was at home. YMMV based on the breed of dog but it works for us. But I agree with Robert in terms of hot weather camping especially. If I couldn't stand to be locked up in the trailer all day with no AC, then the dog shouldn't be either.
Goal, yes, she might like the security of a crate. Thanks for sharing your experience. I am thinking of getting one and see how she makes out at home first. Beagles are kinda different, though. The breed is notorious for separation anxiety.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:10 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
We took the door off the crate while we got the cocker accustomed to it, then put it back on before the first trip. by then she wasn't all that worried about it and things went fine. you can also use a bungi cord to keep the door open while at the house but it does become a pedestrian obstacle which we didn't need any more of.
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:17 PM   #23
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Fado feels right at home anywhere we are....

He has no problem being left at home alone while we are busy or working.

He knows from experience that when we start packing the AS that he will be traveling with us. (retired..but still thinks he's go'n show'n)
On our cross country trip last October he rode in his crate with no problems. Just open the tailgate and he's in.

I really believe that EARLY socialization and crate training is a must.
A lot of our friends just couldn't understand why we were so MEAN... keeping a 10wk old puppy in a crate for extended periods. They understand now. He hasn't been crated in the house in 7 1/2 years.

In the trailer he has his own space....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02385.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	133636  
Old 06-30-2011, 07:29 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Interesting Replies and Input

Thanks all for your input and suggestions.

In the interest of avoiding debate in response to a couple of the replies which implied something to the contrary ... and which contained suggestions completely unrelated to my question ... and to "set the record straight" ... I'll simply state that we have never left the dogs for more than a couple of hours ... and we have never done so during the summer heat. But those couple of hours were when we were camping in during cooler temps.

Nonetheless, the intent of the inquiry was to explore what our options may be. Thank you to those who offered some friendly suggestions.
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:10 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
1969 31' Sovereign
Ft. Worth , Texas
Hey guys! Love the fantastic fan options. We've worried about the same! 5 years and counting full-timing in the texas heat. I found an APP called icam. Less than 2 bucks. It lets you use the camera on your laptop (or Iphone ... 3G since you upgraded to 4G!) and transmit to the web. Point at your handy dandy weather channel thermometer and nanny cam away. I know it's random, but then, so are we? LOL Hugs to you guys.
stowaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:36 AM   #26
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
My dog just gets bigger and shinier when the temp goes up...

Amazon.com: Inflatable Dog: Toys & Games

But there's really no reason to leave him in the trailer. He'll fit almost anywhere. And if the heat really proves to be too much....well.....I can pick up an exact clone for twenty six bucks and shipping.....
Old 03-17-2012, 10:22 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
For Those Traveling With Pets

Finally stumbled across something for serious consideration to monitor the environment in the RV when we're away:

Call Out Devices
Old 03-17-2012, 11:02 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank&Mike View Post
Thanks all for your input and suggestions.

In the interest of avoiding debate in response to a couple of the replies which implied something to the contrary ... and which contained suggestions completely unrelated to my question ... and to "set the record straight" ... I'll simply state that we have never left the dogs for more than a couple of hours ... and we have never done so during the summer heat. But those couple of hours were when we were camping in during cooler temps.

Nonetheless, the intent of the inquiry was to explore what our options may be. Thank you to those who offered some friendly suggestions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank&Mike View Post
Finally stumbled across something for serious consideration to monitor the environment in the RV when we're away:

Call Out Devices
Hi, on our Alaska trip we never left Boo-Boo alone more than a few hours. We planned on a 12 hour bus tour, so we went separately, so Boo-Boo wasn't alone that long. [my wife went the first day and I went the next day] Later we planned an 8 hour boat tour and hired a dog sitter. Boo-Boo had lots of water, food and both vents open with the fan on. [weather was cool or warm, not hot] The call out devises wouldn't have worked for us because there was no way that we could get back to our trailer right away.

(1.) Boo-Boo in his bed, in our trailer.

(2.) Boo-Boo with his dog sitter, in Alaska.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4466RSred eye.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	293.4 KB
ID:	153632   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5209RS.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	275.6 KB
ID:	153634  

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:51 AM   #29
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Thumbs up

Good thread

I saw this device

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:44 AM   #30

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
The problem with these call out devices is I assume they must have wireless internet connection or cellular connection to work. I know coverage is getting better, but I can't even get good cell phone coverage at my house, and many places I've camped have none at all.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:09 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You know, we just wouldn't trust technology to keep our sweet Lily, or any other dog, safe. We just wouldn't.

She's just a shade less in need of protection, in our estimation, than one of our grandchildren.

Maggie
Old 03-18-2012, 11:15 AM   #32
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
The problem with these call out devices is I assume they must have wireless internet connection or cellular connection to work. I know coverage is getting better, but I can't even get good cell phone coverage at my house, and many places I've camped have none at all.
It's rare that our verizon card gets no signal

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:20 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
I see a lot of folks alluding to pets as security, and worried about 'thugs' breaking in. Is this really an issue, or just the typical "everyone is trying to kill me" Americanism?

Our Airstream has great big windows. Lots of them. It makes for a beautiful day to come back to a fresh-smelling trailer and the sounds of the other adventurers around us. If someone breaks in and steals my socks... oh well! I'm not going to live my life paranoid about such things. It's a waste of energy and ruins good karma.

Idiots are just a part of life... if they happen to cross paths with you, just know that their destination in life is rather set... while you still have the freedom to go wherever you please.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #34
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
You know, we just wouldn't trust technology to keep our sweet Lily, or any other dog, safe. We just wouldn't.

She's just a shade less in need of protection, in our estimation, than one of our grandchildren.

Maggie

X2!!

Bob
Old 03-18-2012, 12:15 PM   #35

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
I see a lot of folks alluding to pets as security, and worried about 'thugs' breaking in. Is this really an issue, or just the typical "everyone is trying to kill me" Americanism?
I think it's paranoia. Who would steal from a trailer? They're usually surrounded by other campers, and they probably don't have lots of valuables in them. Plus you have to go way out of your way to even get to a trailer park. I've talked to people who have traveled full-time or nearly full time for years and never had an incident of any sort, and I think that's the more common story you'll hear.

My dogs aren't protection, I worry more about protecting them. Which is what this thread is all about!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:09 PM   #36

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
Half of the problem is easy to solve, at least. A friend of mine has a fun toy installed in his trailer, a Telular "cellular terminal" device that gives you high-wattage digital cellular service. (2 watts or so, the max allowable power I think.) The same website that Frank&Mike linked to sells various models from Telular.

This doesn't help the connectivity for your handheld phone, however, so even if the trailer has usable service you might not be able to receive the call on your personal phone.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:43 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Power Loss & Pets Inside?

I have always traveled with one or two Chihuahuas (short, smooth coat), and when camped with 30-Amp power this is how I handle their safety when I am away from the coach:
  1. Open the rear Fantastic Vent and set the fan on High
  2. Set the Thermostat two steps warmer than the setting where the fan will start
  3. Set the fan on Exhaust
  4. Open the bathroom window approximately one-inch and open the bathroom window awning
  5. Open the front Fantastic Vent and set the fan on High
  6. Set the Thermostat two steps warner than the setting where the fan will start
  7. Set the fan to Intake
  8. Open the lower jalousie window aproximately 1/2 inch
The above process is the one that I utilize with my '64 Overlander. When traveling in the Minuet, I usually follow steps 1-4 (the Minuet has only one roof vent) and no window awnings. Then I open both front and rear windows approximately one-inch.

Short coat Chihuahuas crave warmth and always insist upon their blankets when traveling in the air conditioned Suburban or when staying in either coach with the air conditioner running. When leaving, I always leave two one-quart bowls of water at either end of the coach along with their usual food bowls. Their travel beds are under the dining table, and the arrangement has worked well since 1995. This was my 24-hour arrangement throughout the WBCCI International Rally in the days before 30-AMP electrical service became available, and I never encountered any serious problems with the dogs. The most difficult International was in South Dakota -- we had one particularly hot day when I stayed with the dogs at the coach and let them swim in the bathtub in the coolest water I could get from the water supply (74-degrees from the cold water tap). The dogs alternated between their swimming pool and resting under the awning with me - - their fur would just get about dry and they would be ready for their next swim.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:11 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
This is one option...

F Series K-9 Deployment And Heat Alert Systems - Gen2 - Canine Deployment System

Stay away from crap meant to monitor server rooms and such... you are worried about a random thug going into an open trailer window, but will trust the life of your pet to a computer (that needs to be left on) running Windows (!) that needs to send a message using a Wi-Fi spot that is probably powered by the same circuit your now-dead RV is serviced by.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:27 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Thanks Very Much Kevin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
I have always traveled with one or two Chihuahuas (short, smooth coat), and when camped with 30-Amp power this is how I handle their safety when I am away from the coach:
  1. Open the rear Fantastic Vent and set the fan on High
  2. Set the Thermostat two steps warmer than the setting where the fan will start
  3. Set the fan on Exhaust
  4. Open the bathroom window approximately one-inch and open the bathroom window awning
  5. Open the front Fantastic Vent and set the fan on High
  6. Set the Thermostat two steps warner than the setting where the fan will start
  7. Set the fan to Intake
  8. Open the lower jalousie window aproximately 1/2 inch
Kevin

This is very helpful and the kind of guidance I was looking for months ago when I originally posted my inquiry. I just copied this onto my documents file of procedures that we carry in the Airstream. Thanks again Kevin. I appreciate the input very much!
Old 03-18-2012, 06:33 PM   #40

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
This is one option...

F Series K-9 Deployment And Heat Alert Systems - Gen2 - Canine Deployment System

Stay away from crap meant to monitor server rooms and such... you are worried about a random thug going into an open trailer window, but will trust the life of your pet to a computer (that needs to be left on) running Windows (!) that needs to send a message using a Wi-Fi spot that is probably powered by the same circuit your now-dead RV is serviced by.
With a claimed range of 0.7 miles, it's not useless but not without significant limitations, and RF range is quite variable. This looks like it's for leaving dogs in a vehicle in the parking lot when you're in a mall or museum or something, not for monitoring your trailer when you're on a day trip.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote

« Pet IDs | Top | A/S Dogs »