Old 02-20-2011, 10:04 PM   #15

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
@Carmilla: My beefy bully bitch is a full-sized 55 lb. I was thinking about a mini when I found Trudy with BT rescue. Taking an adult rescue hasn't been without it's problems, but she's stuck with me now.

Il Carriaggio 1975 Argosy 24 | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:59 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member
1972 27' Overlander
Saline , Michigan
Originally Posted by Carmilla View Post
I do indeed seem to be posting a lot- but I am getting ready to reno my first airstream, and will be full-timing and traveling a lot. One of my darling girls is indeed a pit mix. Now, I have an advantage over some owners, and can present people with her CGC, her therapy dog certificate, and soon a certificate as a SAR dog. Sometimes, I even give them this: (Pet Pitbull - Find the Pit Bull) when I am feeling especially bold.
However, after doing a lot of research (yes, I over re-search, you should have seen me picking fabrics and learning the entire airstream plumbing system in case I need to make my own repairs) An I find that I am getting more and more nervous that some breed bans are enforced by the someone's "visual inspection" and deeming that the dog falls under the regulation regarless of any action on the dog's part. Am I being unreasonalbly nervous about traveling through cities and regions with Pit bans? Are there fellow Pit/ Mutt owners out there with personal experience or advice?

Can you tell me more about getting your dog therapy dog certified, how does one go about that?

loechli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:06 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Sparks , Nevada
Originally Posted by jsmith84 View Post
Where you asking if Zeus is a full size or mini? Didn't know who you were directing that question at.

Zeus - mini Horse maybe? He is beautiful.

funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:16 PM   #18
Rivet Master
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Beware of the mean dog's owner.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:57 PM   #19

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Originally Posted by loechli View Post
Can you tell me more about getting your dog therapy dog certified, how does one go about that?
My dog is therapy certified as well. Classes are offered through a local dog training facility to prepare you and your dog for therapy work and explain what sort of situations you might encounter. Then they have a person who is a certified tester come by on test day and each dog is examined individually and in a group to see how they react to wheelchairs, people in walkers, children, being handled, being groomed, being left with another handler while you are out of the room, loud things being dropped, and basic manners like coming when called and walking on a leash. Usually you can earn your CGC at the same time because many of the tests overlap.

If your dog is calm and enjoys meeting strangers, it might be right up his alley.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:54 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Two Rivers , Alaska
Therapy Dog Certification

I'd start online. There are two well-thought of certification programs.- Therapy dogs inc, and therapy dog international. That will give you all the testing requirements, and find you an evaluator in your area.
As a personal opinion, I like Therapy Dogs Inc- because they test in the actual situations your dog will be in. If you want your dog to go to schools, your dog is tested in schools. They also observe your dog three different times.
All programs require you get a CGC (canine good citizen) either before or with their program.
The best advice I received was: Take your dog everywhere!!! Introduce them to as many dogs, ill-mannered children, cranky adults, sirens, and squirrels as possible.
One of the big things is the hug- kids love to hug dogs. In the dog world- if one dog grabs another by the neck, it's a threat. For our dogs, we gave the hug a command- "squeeze" and then treated for them sitting calmly while being hugged. Please let me know what other questions you have- I could talk about dogs for days!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Reading Dogs.bmp (822.6 KB, 21 views)

Carmilla is offline   Reply With Quote