Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-08-2008, 11:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
New York , New York
Pit Mix & RV Parks

Hey all,

I've got a fairly flexible job that allows me to work from a number of locations around the US. Rather than hotelling and finding pet sitters all the time, I'm considering spending a year (or more?) on the road, working wherever I feel like with the seasons. (NY, LA, SF, CHI, DC are my main locations)

Anyway, the main thing that worries me about this plan is my dog. He's an 8 year old pit/lab mix (pic attached) -- most of the RV parks I've researched, at least around Santa Monica and San Jose, seem to have breed or size restrictions that would make things difficult. (He's about 80 pounds and definitely has some pit features if you know what you're looking for)

So, basically, I'm trying to figure out if this is a showstopper or not. Are the odds decent that parks would be fairly lenient with this sort of thing, given that he's a mutt? Do they actually check? I hate to spend the money on a tow vehicle & trailer only to find that I can't actually park anywhere near where I'd be working.

thanks,
-d
dre00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome to the Airforums, D... It's a tough question in terms of providing a useful answer in helping to plan your travels...

We travel with 2 medium dogs (we had a larger 3rd one, too), and have found that most places, at least those we've been to—usually public parks—don't have breed restrictions...they are more concerned with barking and picking up after them than anything else. We have seen a few private RV parks with some restrictions based on breed and/or number and/or size (though I wouldn't worry about size too much...we were recently at a private park where there were 2 great danes, and nobody seemed to mind). Some will be flexible and a few will not, depending on their personal experience and what they perceive as their liability, etc...

Your best bet is to contact the parks you are interested in ahead of time and see what they say. It never hurts to ask. Most places are pretty friendly and if your dog isn't agressive, they don't care. They want your business, after all. If a park won't let you in, there are usually other options open in the area. (I don't think I'd enjoy staying in a park that was that uptight about dogs anyway. Not my kind of folks.)

Many RVers have animals with them...so parks usually accommodate them. We dog-lovers are in the majority!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:21 AM   #3
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
I agree with TB. We have a pit/lab mix, an English Setter and a 3 legged Chichuahua. They all three go with us. We have never had anyone say they could not be there and even though we don't have kids ourselves, they always seem to want to play with the dogs. Needless to say, our dogs get a little miffed if they don't get to go camping!

Anyway, go for it. Afterall, a mix breed is a mutt in disguise. Enjoy!
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
We have two standard poodles and never had a problem.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:26 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I know several people that travel with and keep their large dogs with them. You may find issues with your dog's particular pedigree, as many parks won't allow "aggressive breeds", including, but not limited to, pits. It is usually an insurance carrier thing, as the insurance company for the park will cancel their liability policy if they allow these dogs in the parks. Best thing is to call ahead before getting a surprise.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:38 AM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
We normally travel with 2 large dogs as seen on the left. Smokie is a shepador (German Shepard / Lab mix) we think, but we tell the parks when registering that she is a lab mix. We have never had a problem.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:24 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Ah yes, the "Shepadors"

Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
We normally travel with 2 large dogs as seen on the left. Smokie is a shepador (German Shepard / Lab mix) we think, but we tell the parks when registering that she is a lab mix. We have never had a problem.
That's exactly what I do with my "shepador". I say she's a Lab mix.

Dre, you could say the same for yours. So you have a Lab mix. Pits are a Terrier breed, Staffordshire Terrier or Pit Bull Terrier. If they push to ask, "Lab mixed with what?", just say Terrier.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:43 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
The only restriction that has ever excluded us from an RV Park was a size restriction. We travel with a 130# Dogue de Bordeaux (see avatar).

I's bet you'll be fine as long as your dog is clearly well behaved and under control (and you call him a lab mix).

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 12:51 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

New York , New York
Thanks for the suggestions! Glad to hear.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:50 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by dre00 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions! Glad to hear.
Hi dre00; Many parks in Pa do not allow so called aggressive breed dogs. Many homeowner insurance company's will not insure you if you own a aggressive breed. What constitutes an aggressive breed? The answer is always THE MASTER. Disagree if you like but the truth is plain. If you get a puppy and chain him for life he will be aggressive. If you do not have an equal amount of time that it takes to raise a child' do not get a dog either. All dogs are what you make them. Often this categorizing of breeds is the most unjust sentence we make. I have had a 139 lbs working German Shepard. The only thing he did outside of my command is sneeze and other involuntary bodily functions. He knew precisely when it was play time and when it was time to work. He never left my sight voluntarily. Leash was something I carried without attaching it to him. Unfortunately he was killed at 15 years of age while working. I missed him for eight years and swore I will never train a dog to perform such work, and I did not ever again.

Eight years later I got a 15 lbs King Rottweiler puppy which was to become only my pal, not a working dog. Two years later he was a 173 lbs of most gentle and intelligent dog you could meet. My grandson and his friends wrestled him every weekend, used him as a pillow while watching television for hours. My petite wife had no problem walking him without the leash. That was Mom's guard dog. You could come within one yard of her but than you have heard very deep growl which would freeze you instantly. That was as close as you could get to her. We actually never found anyone brave enough to test his warning growl to see what he would do. In play he used to accommodate my head in his enormous mouth, never so much as scratching me. Standing on his hind legs while his front legs were on my shoulders he was over six feet tall. And YES, I did have a problem finding a insurance company who would insure my house. Unfortunately two years ago we have lost him to cancer. We miss him so much that we purchased a replica statue for our living room. Because of restrictions in parks we decided not to replace Rommel, because this would limit our traveling plans. We never placed any of our dogs with friends or kennels. Our dogs were part of the family. They slept on the floor in our bedroom, they went to work with us every day. It is a shame that for the few who do not deserve to have dogs, we simply categorize them as aggressive. Thanks "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 07:45 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
BoatDoc
So sorry to hear of your loses. Its really hard. dre00 I think it kinda depends on the dog. Like boatDoc says its the MASTER as much or more that the dog. We have pits in the nieghborhood, if ya get hurt U must have fell down,Cause these dogs wont kill thier own fleas.
We travel with 3 mini-Schnausers, the dogs are not a problem,the numbers are, most parks put a limit on number,usually 2 . Its difficult for us because u know Schnauzers are barkers. 1 dog is SPECIAL NEEDS so we never count her. She is Blind and Diebetic.She loves everyone. We have not run into a problem this yr. Just when and if they ask, make it LAB MIX/I don't/ know and I think U will be fine.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:53 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
If asked, leave the Pit out and just say he's a Lab mix. If anyone gets nosy tell them he has Boxer in him. As long as the dog is well behaved, it's none of their business.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:55 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
By the way, you forgot the picture. We must have a picture!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:56 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Just say a mixed breed dog and always keep on a good quality leash. Important is the dog is quiet and well behaved.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:27 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

New York , New York
Trying again with the picture..

His ears are too big for his head.

-d
Old 10-16-2008, 08:40 PM   #16
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
There are no bad dogs, just bad owners...
If you can demonstrate that your dogs are well socialized and follow any park regulations you should not have any problems.

We have never been turned away from a campground, if they don't want our dog, they won't get us.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:14 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
In our travels, we have found that some RV parks do have restrictions regarding certain breeds, as has been said before, and they say that their reason is insurance. In today's market, if there was an incident, it might get ugly.

Also, check where you might be going as to extra charges for dogs. We have been at RV parks that charge as much as $5.00 per day, per dog.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 10:23 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
We have seen restrictions on number of dogs - "danger breeds" and have received extra charges for having dogs...

All dogs are a potential danger - they are animals. Many are fear biters and many are teased into a dangerous situation. And I agree with Robert Cross that in most cases it is the owner of the dog that ultimately is responsible for the control of their dogs.

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/Dog%20Atta...%20Clifton.pdf

Our first Dog was a Golden Retriever - she did not have a mean bone in her body...at age 8 - for absolutely no reason (as we thought at the time) she took off from our back yard while we were outside with her (no fence at the time) up to the sidewalk heading for a couple who had their young baby in a stroller. While nothing happened this was so so out of character and took us by total surprise!

2 weeks later we had to put her down with a cancerous tumor that had perforated - it turns out that she was in excruciating pain and did not show any signs - (well that was the sign!)

Lesson learned - NEVER have your dog loose in any situation where people are around.

We had my brothers dog for 3 years a cross Pit/Boxer - he was a beautiful Dog and not a mean bone in his body either. By the nature of their build when they bite the damage is far worse than all other breeds - this is never taken into account. The second big issue is they are the top breed used by not so nice people to protect their not so nice habbits - these occurrences of attacks are also included in the statistics.

When the pit bull laws came out up here - anyone who asked we just said he was a Boxer - and people just left us alone - besides the fact that he and Haily the flakiest Golden Retriever out there were an item - so both were always together taking that immediate fear factor out of the equation.

Good luck with your travels with your fur baby - the hassles if any are worth it in comparison to leaving them at home!!!
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:25 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdoc View Post
What constitutes an aggressive breed? The answer is always THE MASTER.
I always say:"Beware of the mean dog's owner."

Not that it's always intentional, but many people reinforce bad habits or traits in their dogs.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:47 AM   #20
Alumination

2005 28' Safari
Hillsboro , Texas
Send a message via MSN to njoysrvin
I work at a park that has breed restrictions and if you say it is mixed , I ask if there is any mix of the restricted breeds. If your dog looks part pit .. no go. It is an insurance problem , so we are strict. Many private parks in the west have these restrictions.
njoysrvin is offline   Reply With Quote