Old 01-09-2009, 09:41 AM   #43
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY

Brian,

Did you get the dog to match the couch, or the couch to match the dog.

Like I said earlier...Don't blame the k9's, it's he stupid people who shouldn't breed.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:49 AM   #44
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

Brian,

Did you get the dog to match the couch, or the couch to match the dog.

Like I said earlier...Don't blame the k9's, it's he stupid people who shouldn't breed.

He does kinda match that, doesn't he!!! That was the original couch in my trailer, since removed..... I'll probably be building him his own "bed" in place of one of the twins in the trailer, but ultimately, he'll be sleeping in my bed, I know it.

'75 31ft Airstream Sovereign

Come check out my restoration progress:
http://crazycorpsman-silverbullet.blogspot.com/
CrzyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 06:37 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
orlando , New Mexico, Utah, Colorado
FWIW, if you have to break up a dog fight, it takes two people to almost do it safely. Grab the dogs by the back legs and pull, then watch out for snapping teeth. If you have to do it alone, tie one to a post if possible then pull the other off by the back legs.

WBCCI #3841
jacarape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:40 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacarape View Post
FWIW, if you have to break up a dog fight, it takes two people to almost do it safely. Grab the dogs by the back legs and pull, then watch out for snapping teeth. If you have to do it alone, tie one to a post if possible then pull the other off by the back legs.
This sounds like good advice, please explain how to get the rope on the dog you are going to tie to the post.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:21 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Breaking up a dog fight can be as dangerous as intervening when a married couple are fighting—they usually come after you. I'm not sure which are more dangerous, humans or dogs.

Gene
Old 01-27-2009, 08:38 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Flying Cloud
Lone Jack , Missouri
Dogs!

My vote for "more dangerous" would be people.

I've never had a dog stab me w/ a rat tail comb or hit me w/ a beer bottle.
Pop.528

"You better learn it fast; you better learn it young"-John Fogerty
Larry in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:18 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Now I understand the avatar Larry—that thing on your head protects you from beer bottles.

Gene
Old 01-27-2009, 09:22 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacarape View Post
I was just reading all about that on the Leerburg Kennels site - I'd never thought about how to break up a dog fight before. There's been too many people just blindly dive into the middle of a vicious fight only to get seriously injured (or worse) by a dog in a blind rage.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:06 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post
This sounds like good advice, please explain how to get the rope on the dog you are going to tie to the post.
Jim,that is a fair question, and obvious. Also, what happens if you don't have a post?

Seriously, breaking up a dog fight is dangerous. I have a few stitches. I tried buckets of water, a hose and feeding my hands. The last is a really, really bad idea. Stitches, bet on it, the dogs and you.

I'm not going to say that I know anything except that I don't know anything, I'm learning and laughing. I had the chance to work with some very serious animals. At their level of training, these are not animals that people like me come into contact very often, could you imagine a dog that sells for the price of a really decent 28 footer? I met one, he's an incredible animal, but at the same time, FUN! Obedient and down to earth, an incredible thinker, it was incredible to watch him make an attack assessment then cancel it, and smile and have fun.

What happened was a youth stepped out of a car with a cap gun. The dogs is trained to take down that threat, a gun, without a command. An alert, an attack stance with a defense reaction, and he stood down and licked the boy.

What was amazing about that animal, he is so loving and filled with fun. How much? Yea, double your wildest guess.

Here is our pic. Rasta and me. Bred in France, a few years of training in the CZ Rep, brought to the US with an Executive Level IV Protection resume.

The other pic of him is attacking the cat. I never could figure out what caused those scratches,one day I heard Rasta really working for something, it was hilarious, Rasta and a cat with some really hairy ones.

Here is a pic from his web site [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/michael/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]http://www.ruidosomalinois.com/graphics/rasta-arm.jpg http://www.ruidosomalinois.com/graph...-agressive.jpg

I am really lucky to have a son of his, smart, he loves to play, he's experimenting with language, not barking but other repited sounds. Coordinated and he likes mental and physical challenges.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2008 03 05 002_edited-1.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	339.5 KB
ID:	74723   Click image for larger version

Name:	My Pictures 010_edited-1.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	327.4 KB
ID:	74724  

Name:	2008 02 06 041_edited-2.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	555.6 KB
ID:	74725   Click image for larger version

Name:	2008 02 28 002_edited-1.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	762.3 KB
ID:	74726  

Name:	2008 02 28 010_edited-5.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	671.5 KB
ID:	74727  

WBCCI #3841
Old 01-27-2009, 10:53 PM   #52
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
the above was posted to the wrong thread, oh well, Wild Turkey.

WBCCI #3841
Old 06-04-2009, 12:05 AM   #53
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to Airbiscuit Send a message via Yahoo to Airbiscuit
I have a "Lab Mix" according to my vet and to my insurance company. Her adoption papers say the same... mixed with what? well that would be shepard. HA. But off the record she looks like a staffy. Was I a bit concerned as she got older, yes, but we take steps to not put her in a situation where we don't have control of her. However, there are other owners who are clueless that we have been around. For example, there is a pure bred lab that comes over for play dates with my other lab, that our lab mix is TERRIFIED of. She will climb in the chair behind me and bury her head. Wants nothing to do with the lab. However at home with our lab she will sleep ONTOP of her and they cuddle together and play all without issues. I will say we do take steps to insure safety not only of her but children when they are around. She has been socialized but I am still onguard as her owner 24/7.
I was surprised today however when I stepped off my porch and was charged by a lab whom lives down the street from us. I luckily got back inside before she could get to me. (Had a run in with her last year when she penned me in the dog run.) I stayed a distance behind her and was able to see where she lived and confronted the teenagers in the yard. They laughed adn thought it was halarious. I bet they wont be happy when their dog pulls that again and doesn't return home. A call has been placed to the land owner of their home and the cops were called... and folks, this was a LAB!
So I definately have to agree with Bob!

Don't blame the k9's, it's he stupid people who shouldn't breed.

Thanks for letting me share, but just wanted to share my frustration/horror story for the day and let folks know there are some of us that are responsible bully breed owners who are extremely over protective of our bullys. I have put alot of time, effort, and money into my two furbabies and therefore do whatever I can to keep them out of questionable situations.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:14 PM   #54
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
Update

My initial thoughts were to say so long to this ins. co. and go through the hassle of finding another but first I asked all of you for opinions/suggestions. I'm glad I asked and valued all replies.

I ended up taking advice from georgezink in post # 24 and wrote letter back in Jan. We heard nothing until recently. It's now renewal time and the ins. co decided to renew the policy. I have no idea what started all this other than the fact that our "Boy" is a Pit Bull. I think that if I didn't act on this at all it would be another negative directed towards pits, then that being the reason I would be looking for another company would seem to be a no win situation.

Many Thanks for replies. Here he is in his favorite place.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Buster in AS.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	221.5 KB
ID:	85996  
Old 08-24-2009, 07:41 PM   #55
2 Rivet Member

Freeport , Maine
Glad you had the happy ending. I had a similar issue to yours. In my case, i owned two Rottweilers AND and an Amstaff mix. All three were excellent, well trained/behaved, and properly socialized. But when i moved from Colorado to Oregon, my new local agent for the EXACT SAME insurance company (which i had been with for almost 10 years, and over 5 with the dogs) was going to refuse to provide home owners insurance if we kept the dogs.

It took a few phone calls, letters, and threats to take my premiums elsewhere, but eventually got it worked out. I guess some people cant see any farther than the latest sensationalized news clip.

Oh, and today i am down to only one rotty (my third.) As much as i love the breed, he will probably be my last. dogs are supposed to be fun, and i am getting tired of reassuring people that Rottweilers are no more dangerous than any other dog.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:38 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverAvion View Post
Oh, and today i am down to only one rotty (my third.) As much as i love the breed, he will probably be my last. dogs are supposed to be fun, and i am getting tired of reassuring people that Rottweilers are no more dangerous than any other dog.
Hi, I'm sure you are right and wish more people like you had good dogs, but the dingbat next door to me has an uncontrollable Rottweiler. And as much as I think I hate the dog, it's the stupid owner of the dog who's the real problem.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote