Old 01-07-2009, 06:04 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I can understand your insurance company's concerns.

Last year, while riding my horse on MY property, the neighbors 3 pit bulls bolted out from their fenced in property through an open gate. The dogs circled us and nipped at the horses legs. He freaked out and started bucking, rearing and kicking out. I ended up on the ground, on my back. I could not get up for 10 minutes as the pain was so intense. I finally got up and limped back to the house after my wife caught the horse and put him up.

I lost a few days of work, and it took about 6 weeks before my back was back to normal.

I have no love for pit bulls whatsoever.

Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:46 AM   #16
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick View Post

Really sorry for your accident, but your anger would be better directed at your neighbor and how he takes care of and socializes his dogs.

Never mind the K9's, it's the stupid people who shouldn't breed.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:48 AM   #17
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
People kill people, guns don't. There are few "bad" dogs. But, lots of bad owners. Unfortunately, one has to legislate to the lowest common denominator or there will always be those who push the limits. If I had any dog living in my neighborhood capable of causing death, I would want reassurance that certain criteria were met.
1. The dog must be trained to obey it's owner. No exceptions.
2. The dog's enclosure must be foolproof secure. Just like a gun vault.
3. The dog is well cared for.

Tom
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:43 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick View Post
I can see where you're coming from. Though I have to admit that I'd be just as ticked with the owners. I hope they offered some sort of restitution.

One dog running loose is not good, but three? Pack mentality takes over and more often than not, they'll get into hunting mode. My father's poor little himalayan cat was torn apart by the neighbours' 2 huskies that got loose and went hunting.

Insurance companies assess risk and issue coverage accordingly. Pit bulls, whether unfairly or not, are considered high risk due to the actions of idiots over the years. But are they getting an unfair rap (the dogs, not the idiots)? To the extent of a homeowner losing their insurance coverage concerning a 13 year old dog who presumably has never caused any trouble? Isn't that the equivalent of 91 years old for people? Could a dog that old really cause problems? I suppose in the life of an insurance company, life is black and white.

I live in Ontario where there's a province-wide ban on pit bulls (defined as American Pit Bull Terriers, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Bull Terriers or any dog that looks similar, which in my opinion opens up a whole can of worms as many different breeds of dogs look similar). I'd be interested in data showing what this has accomplished. I imagine that if you ask both sides of the story you'd get different answers.

I hope you get this issue resolved.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:26 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
I was once refused coverage for having a Rotweiller/Mastiff mix. On the next application I called him a Mastiff. Not telling the insurance company you have a dog is a bad idea. Should the worst happen and your dog were to do something unexpected, your claim would be denied.

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:16 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Flying Cloud
Lone Jack , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Really sorry for your accident, but your anger would be better directed at your neighbor and how he takes care of and socializes his dogs.
You are right, Robert, but the immediate problem is the dog when it has you on the ground and is tearing chunks out. In the Kansas City area, there have been two deaths and several serious injuries (one to a 5 year old in her own fenced back yard) in the last two years. All pit bull attacks, by the way. I won't go into detail about what these "bites" look like or the psychological effects on the victim but they would probably scare you.

I am a great dog fan-I have three Golden Retrievers. I almost trust them around people but I watch them closely around people with whom they are not familiar. They have never shown any sort of aggressive behavior but they are still dogs. The point is that you have never heard of an elderly lady being mauled by several Golden Retrievers or Cocker Spaniels or Standard Poodles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Never mind the K9's, it's the stupid people who shouldn't breed.
Absolutely no argument from me on this point!! Correct you are.
Pop.528

"You better learn it fast; you better learn it young"-John Fogerty
Larry in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:55 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I do home visits for a child abuse program with the State of Oklahoma, and believe me there are lots of pit bulls in rural Oklahoma. They are not all mean and some are down right loveable; however, I show them all respect. I believe if your dog is not on a logging chain in your front yard, or running the neighborhood, you should be allowed to have insurance. I have a Pom, Imma Chicken, who has actually bitten two people who dared to walk into the back yard. No problems. Of course she couldn't kill anyone, but she thinks she could. As for American Staffordshire Terriers, I have shown them and they are not people aggressive. They are dog agressive to be sure, and strong enough to get away from you is you are not careful. Pit Bulls are usually bred by idiots who want to fight them around here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0212.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	73487  
Old 01-07-2009, 01:50 PM   #22

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by juel View Post
As for American Staffordshire Terriers, I have shown them and they are not people aggressive. They are dog agressive to be sure, and strong enough to get away from you is you are not careful. Pit Bulls are usually bred by idiots who want to fight them around here.
That pretty much sums up the problem with 'bully' breeds in my opinion. And the fact that they are incredibly driven and won't give up once they start something. I'd rather get bit by a pom any day!

I hope you didn't leave State Farm, I've heard they are getting out of homeowners policies, so if anyone leaves they won't take them back. They are only keeping existing policies.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:03 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
That pretty much sums up the problem with 'bully' breeds in my opinion. And the fact that they are incredibly driven and won't give up once they start something. I'd rather get bit by a pom any day!

I hope you didn't leave State Farm, I've heard they are getting out of homeowners policies, so if anyone leaves they won't take them back. They are only keeping existing policies.
State Farm is not actually getting out of Homeowners - that would cut their size by about a third. They are selectively reducing the amount of exposure they have in certain higher risk areas. Coastal - wind - brush fire - poor business climate areas for example. Too much market share concentrated in an area is not always a good thing for a carrier.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:32 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Cape Coral , Florida
It doesn't sound like they have threatened to cancel your policy, just asked you to get rid of the dog. If you do nothing, they will likely non-renew your policy in August, so you probably have lots of time to find other coverage if it comes to that.

First though, I'd suggest you write a nice letter explaining that you purchased their policy because of their excellent reputation for fair dealing and putting the customer first. Then go on to explain how you discussed the dog with the agent as part of the application process and was advised that the dog would not be a problem. Let them know that the dog is old and of good temperament and has never bitten anyone. Then ask them for an exception by allowing you to keep the dog. Be nice, don't threaten. Ask them to send you a favorable response in writing. It's likely that the underwriter will then go to her supervisor for an approval -- which may very well happen.

If they don't see it your way, find another agent. You want an agent that has some pull with his carriers. I recently switched to State Farm and was advised that they have no restrictions on dogs that have not bitten, so you might try them, if necessary.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:38 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
State Farm? I'm with State Farm for pretty much everything, and not once have they asked me anything about any dog, ever. Is this something that is commonplace in the U.S.?

I hope they don't ask... I've got the goofiest lab mix around who could fell a small child with her wagging tail, and an Australian Shepherd on Prozac...
Old 01-07-2009, 11:04 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I didn't know State Farm was in Canada.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:13 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, no offense to anyone, but I'm not a Pit Bull fan; Mostly because of their reputation. And it's not new to me in my neighborhood, that some insurance companies have a top ten list of possible dangerous dogs. [including my carrier] My neighbor likes, and has, Rottweilers. They are on the list too. My neighbor told me that her insurance carrier stated that her policy has the one bite, or incident rule. One bite and it goes on your record, second bite is not covered. [kiss your house goodbye] I like dogs; And I feel bad for some of them [even Pit Bulls] because of their owners. Killer dogs should be sent to rehab and their owners put to sleep.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:48 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
the age of your dog should help the situation. I would call the state insurance commission at your state capital and see if the insurance can issue and quickly rescing a policy if you filled everything out correctly. YOU could have a lawsuit on your side for discrimination if you complied to what was asked for on the initial application.