Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2008, 10:17 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Pins and dogs do not mix

Hello All,

This is a photo of the dogs and I at Borrego Palm Canyon campground at Anza Borrego Desert State Park this Spring.

Last Wednesday, we had a harrowing episode with the pembroke corgi, Mac. Bill and I had just returned home from our docent work at the Old Pt. Loma Lighthouse, and let the dogs into the house. I soon discovered 3 piles of Mac's poo around the house. Mac never soils and is quite embarrassed whenever he has a dietary upset or soils in the house. The largest pile had stools that were neatly sliced in half longitudinally. Bill observed that Mac's anus appeared swollen with a discharge. Each time Mac released some gas, he frantically ran about as if he was frightened by something. I stayed up with Mac in the living room attempting to sleep on the floor with him periodically applying warm paper towels soaked in a baking soda solution hoping to give him some relief from the irritating digestive secretions. Whenever he released some gas, he frantically ran about trampling me. He finally calmed down at about 4 AM. and we went to bed. When Bill examined Mac this morning, he found and removed a quilting sewing pin missing its round plastic head that was trying to pass. We are so fortunate that the pin came out and the problem is now resolved and that nothing else serious came of it.

Exhausted from lack of sleep, Mac and I took a 5 hour nap with the pug, Pau Hoa (precious moon). It was her 14th birthday. He is apparently feeling back to himself with no apparent sequelae as I found him sleeping on his back when I woke up.

I do a lot of sewing of history interpretation clothing and will have to be especially diligent in checking the floor around my work area each time before I leave it. I sew outside in the garden when the weather is nice. The next morning I caught Mac carefully searching the garden sewing area looking between the spaces of the pavers for pins. He likes to mouth small rocks and seems to relish getting objects that I might drop.

Sleeping on the floor was reminiscent of tent camping. Never again, I love the bed in my Airstream.

Happy trails to you all,

Larry and the Fur Kids
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	'08 @ A-B Larry w dogs .jpg
Views:	174
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	65028  

Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:25 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Glad your dog is OK. I know when Baity is not feeling well, I suffer along with him.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:27 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Ledyard , Connecticut
That is one lucky dog!

You are quite fortunate your pup appears to be OK. I would still take him to the vet for an xray - you can't know for sure if the pins are gone or if he swallowed something else. Intestinal perforations can be deadly. The vet bill would be a small price to pay for true peace of mind.

I try to keep my sewing room off limits with gates and pin cushions secure when not in use.

Mary

The more I try to understand people, the better I like my dog.
rettoc625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Larry, is Mac still doing okay? No further complications I hope. Thanks for posting a picture, I love to see everyone's fur kids.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:56 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Mac is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
Larry, is Mac still doing okay? No further complications I hope. Thanks for posting a picture, I love to see everyone's fur kids.
Mac is doing fine. He is back to his normal self and doing well. Thanks for asking. He is often found in the comfort of the air conditioned living room, on his back listening to classical music while I do my gardening.

This past Spring I experienced some annoying eye gnats. Do you know of any interventions that would work for people and their pets? SignOnSanDiego.com > News > Metro -- Invasion of the pests

Larry and the Fur Kids

Old 08-07-2008, 01:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Nice picture of you and the pups, Larry... And one lucky doggie! Ouch!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:22 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
I'm glad your best friend is ok. Try useing a good size magnet to go over the area and pick up the ones you cant see. Works for me.
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:27 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Will try the magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixty3TW4US View Post
I'm glad your best friend is ok. Try useing a good size magnet to go over the area and pick up the ones you cant see. Works for me.
Thanks for the terrific idea. It got me to think out of the box. I was getting on my hands and knees using a magnet wand, which is a challenge to do. I will be attaching a strong magnet to the end of a bamboo cane, which will be perfect to reach into those hard to reach areas outside and around the dining room table.

Happy trails to you,
Larry