Old 06-14-2002, 09:11 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
No worries!

Miss Lily was never off her leash or out of sight...she is one of the family and would never be left behind! This is one spoiled cat!

She did find a new hiding place inside the trailer we never knew existed though! There is a small compartment under the bathroom sink in the fiberglass shower compartment that she somehow found comfortable. Anytime someone came to visit she'd disappear...some guard cat!

Creatures...gotta love 'em!

Shari

Old 09-18-2002, 12:26 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Traveling with bird

This is our second post regarding fulltiming with a Cockatoo (parrot sized bird). We bought a cage that will fit in a couple of places in our 28' Excella motorhome. Has anyone traveled with a bird and what has been your experience?

Dick & Genie

Old 09-18-2002, 12:39 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Since nobody else has replied yet, I'll give you what little info I can. We weekended with a cockatiel. She LOVED it. She sang the whole time we were traveling, and watched everything around her.

It didn't require anything special from us whether we were home or on the road. Same rules about caution when she was out of her cage. While we were driving, she was in her cage, on the floor of the trailer (pre-MH), covered to protect her from drafts. Living in Florida, she only traveled in the winter.

One thing we always do is to carry water for our pets. If it's just a weekend, we bottle our own from home. If we travel for an extended length of time, we purchase bottled water for them. There's nothing like having a sick pet while on the road.

Then I'd just say follow the same common sense you use at home. Keep the bird away from drafts and out of direct sunlight. Keep to a routine. Yadda, yadda, yadda.

Now, you may have noticed that we've traveled with dogs, a cat, and a bird. When we were full-timing, I was always trying to figure a safe way to travel with fish, too. Brett finally put his foot down with fish.
Old 09-18-2002, 01:37 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Cats in trailers

We have a female Manx who loves to travel. The Manx site on the web says that truck drivers like Manx since they adapt well to travel and small spaces. That is sure true of Dakota. She likes to ride on my lap and watch the wheels spin on the 18-wheelers as they pass. If not on my lap, she rides facing backwards on the console.

As a kitten, she learned in the first couple of hundred miles that the litter box, food, and water was in the trailer. At first, I just carried her back and forth. As she grew, I started keeping a cat harness and leash on her in case she was startled. If she is spooked, I just let her jump and go under the truck or trailer. That way, I don't get spiked.

I haven't tried her in the new Airstream yet. It is too hot in Texas in the summer. I plan to pull out one of the under-bed drawers and put her cat box there. I use clumping litter and dip out the clumps frequently, before the rest of the litter can get any odor. She is content to wait for us while we are gone.

Her favorite sport in the trailer is playing ball. She retrieves like a dog, without all the saliva. The photo is of Dakota in my Scamp 5th-wheel as a kitten.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dakota as a kitten in scamp.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	566  
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 04:27 PM   #19
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Edie

I can't believe you couldn't sell Brett on the fish. You should have tried from the angle that it was also fresh water for the other animals.

John
Old 11-01-2002, 01:46 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Joan D'Andrea
Thumbs up Traveling with a dog or dogs

Hi. I read the dog travel posts with interest. I suggest you find out what your breed's show people do when traveling. I showed dogs for ten years and I have a lot of experience traveling with my Scotties, but travel arrangements differ according to the breed. You need to spend some time, several weeks, accustoming your dog to the vehicle, to travel in it, and so forth. Dogs can really freak out the first time they travel in a trailer behind a tow vehicle if they are not accustomed to the place. In my oppinion the phrase "Sick as a dog" came from people traveling with dogs that were not used to the experience. You really haven't lived until you have cleaned up a ton of dog barf. Let me tell you, a sick dog riding in a swaying trailer is an endless source of barf. Spend some time feeding your dog in the trailer, sleep in the trailer in your drive way with yor dog, take some weekenders with your dog before you take off on the big trip. As to a crate, I am not impressed with the larger plastic crates for heavy dogs. A smart dog will quickly figure out how to get the crate open as a heavy dog can simply put it's weight in the front of the common Vari-Kennels and the door will pop open. As I said before, if you travel with a big dog, even a big dog mix, go to the AKC web site and look for the area Traveling with your breed or a breed close to yours. You will get lots of advice. If you can't find anything, look for the web address of your breed's local Breed club and someone is sure to help you.

I traveled all over the country for many years with my Scottish Terriers. They are noisy, protective, and territorial, but they all learned to mellow out. When we traveled in a large trailer we took out some of the furniture and stacked the Vari-Kennels that were then bungied in place. (Watch those bungy cords, they can really damage you if they come loose unexpectedly.) Just about the most valuable thing a traveler with a dog can purchase is an X-Pen. Be sure and get one your dog can't jump over. If you have a bigger dog then travel with two. I have sawed off Scotties and I travel with three. Mine are four footers. The pens, not the dogs. All dogs, with some exceptions are four footed. An excited Scottie can really jump if he takes a mind to. You can get tops for them. The pens, not the dogs. I have bottoms for mine, the pens, the dogs come with bottoms, so that in really wet weather the dogs can be outside and not get sopped. This is really important if you like your furniture dry when the dog comes back inside the trailer. For some unknown reason mine like to run straight for the bedroom and roll all over the bed when they are wet. NOT NICE. X-Pens are readily available in many pet stores, but you will get the best buy on them at dog shows. The second best place is through dog supply catalogs. You have to pay shipping, but they are still cheaper and you have a big choice. An X-Pen will contain the dog safely outside while he or she can watch the world of the campground. Don't skimp on what your spend for them. I also suggest you either buy or make a sign for the pen that says DO NOT TOUCH THE DOG. Be sre to get the brass coated clips for the pen and water bucket. YOu will need one for each bucket and two for each X-pen. Buy the brass coated pens, not the bare metal ones as they don't rust and they hinge both directions. Get yourself a good quality water bucket you can attach to the side of the pen with the brass snap. You will never go wrong if you buy a good one. Like everything else, however, the key to travel with a dog is introducing it to the world of travel and applying good discipline. Even if you have a GO DOG, the hours in the car or the trailer are going to be a trial for any animal used to going in and out of the house at leisure. If you do this as you plan for the trip you will thank yourself a zillion times. If you wait until you go on the trip you will kick yourself for the first two weeks unless you have a very calm dog or an itty bitty one that sits im mom's lap. By introduce, I mean spend several weeks getting your dog used to the trailer, riding in it, sleeping in it, using the X-pen and so forth. If the dog is high strung then make sure it travels in it's own safe little or big crate. I don't know about you, but even I begin to feel like a dog rack after an hour or so. A crate is not cruel. Dogs are cave animals. They like spaces that are their own and once they are accustomed to them they feel safer. Even when we travel in the Van or the Pickup without the trailer, we always put them into crates with their own water, blanket, toy. They are much safer if I have to slam on the brakes and so are you as you drive. There is nothing like a dog in your lap when you are trying to make an emergency stop. But once again. If your dog has not traveled in a crate then he or she needs to become adjusted to the crate. Oh yeah, about that bucket. Get a nice big metal one with a good bale on it. I really like the stainless steal ones. Dont forget to buy a clip that has a clip on each end. One goes on the bucket and one goes on the wire of the crate. This makes it possible to put water in the bucket that will not spill as you travel. Also, when you are traveling in hot weather, you can fill it with crushed ice. The ice cools the inside of the crate and provides a nice source of cool licks for the dog. vari-Kennels are great for small and medium size dogs, but you can purchase all sizes of folding metal crates that you can stow out of the way when you are not using them. Once again, don't be stingy on what you spend. The cheap ones will bite your fingers every time when you fold them down and you will be cussing like a sailor. I suggest you go to a dog show in your area, and talk to the breed people for your breed. But if this is not an option then go on line for the mail order places that carry animal equipment. They vary in price, but they are all very reputable and your crate and X-Pen will arrive in a short time. Give some thought to where you are going to cary your X-pens. Dog people who travel from show to show usually have a rack on the back of the trailer for the pens. They usually have them specially built as they carry a lot of them, but a sturdy bike rack should hold the one or two you will need. Oh yeah, when you are planning your hours to the next stop, be sure to add in hourly stops for the dog. A little run around at a pull out is a wonderful thing for both of you. I suggest you avoid doing this at rest stops. Rest stops are home to fleas and bacteria. A pull out will rarely have a local festation of fleas. A rest stop is sure to have one. On top of that hundreds of dogs have gone to the bathroom there and your dog is just dying to sniff every bit of it. The result can be some pretty nasty diseases including parvo. Be sure to get your dog on heart worm medicine before you leave, expecially if you are going south (check on the presence of heart worm in the states you intend to visit) and get his or her vacinations up to date. If you are headed for open country, especially the west, get lyme disease covered. I also buy purified water for the dogs when we are on the road. It might sound silly, but dogs have very sensitive lower tracks. What might not bother you will get your dog going in a manner you don't appreciate. That, when mixed with the rigors of travel and different water from place to place can cause diahrea. Yuck. We never have problems when we buy water. Just chant to yourself "Ninty nin cents a day keeps diahrea away." You should also either plan to take a good supply of your dog's regular dog food along or accustom your dog to a readily available pet food before your leave. By accustome I mean slowly over a period of a few days switch your dogs' kibble and wet food over to a new food you can easily find on the vacation. We feed performance food and carry enough for the entivre vacation, but before going on vacation it is easier for most people to switch over to something readily available in a grocery store like Pedigree. Once again, changing food on the road can cause everything from flatulence to diahrea to a sick dog. It is easy to change over to another foodbefore you leave and a a difficult mess when you're tired and grouchy from a long day at the wheel.

One last thing. Most of us like to stop now and then at a nice motel for a night. Best Western and Holiday Inn are usually welcoming to dogs. They will probably assign you to the bottom floor. Be sure to carry some big black plastic bags to go under your crates if you take the dog in, don't we all, and make him or her sleep in the crate. The hoteliers are not nearly so upset about the occasional "accident" as they are about dog hair in the sheets. It is darned near impossible to get out and some places will charge you for replacement sheets.

Good luck. Joan
Old 09-22-2003, 04:05 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Here's a picture of Lily settled in for a road trip...on the way to the VAC Rally last month. Cute huh?!

Shari
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lilycar.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	3184  
Old 09-22-2003, 04:30 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Miss Lily is about the prettiest thing I've ever seen! I'm glad Shari posted to this thread and got it going again.

Quote:
Now, you may have noticed that we've traveled with dogs, a cat, and a bird. When we were full-timing, I was always trying to figure a safe way to travel with fish, too. Brett finally put his foot down with fish.
I'd forgotten that I posted this last year. We have a couple in our unit who travel all summer with a fish. The top of the fish bowl has philodendron plants floating on top!
Old 02-07-2007, 04:55 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1990 25' Airstream 250
Altoona , Georgia
Dog? dog? in a motorhome?

I'm not allowed to use the dog word.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lucy point 002.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	31948   Click image for larger version

Name:	Winhall campgound 021.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	31949  

Old 02-07-2007, 06:19 PM   #24
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Whats A Dog?

Teddy says...

Theres just not enough room in our 345 for a 'dog'

Old 02-07-2007, 06:36 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1990 25' Airstream 250
Altoona , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by klattu
Teddy says...

Theres just not enough room in our 345 for a 'dog'

What is that??
Old 02-07-2007, 06:41 PM   #26
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
King Koon

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Alan
What is that??
The 'Owner'

Old 02-07-2007, 07:36 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1990 25' Airstream 250
Altoona , Georgia
Yup - I certainly can relate to that.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:39 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
Our 2 bassets go between the couch, front side chair, doghouse and occasionally the passengers lap. Our 7 month old kitten stays on his 4 foot leash and roams the motorhome. A lot of time he takes the dogs favorite chair and they won't move him out! he also likes to ride on the top of the couch or chairs.

str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote