Old 07-15-2004, 06:19 PM   #15

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I've seen Uncle Matty's show a few times, and he's pretty impressive. I'll check out his website. Thanks!

BTW, our noisy dog is crate trained as well. She loves her crate, and often plays in it for fun. It's definitly not terrorizing if they're introduced to it when they're puppies!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 10:39 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Pets, Barking and Whines - A Sane Discussion Please

I have traveled with one or more Chihuahuas most of my life. One thing that I learned when beginning to RV after a stint of not owning an RV was that my Chihuahua who had never been in an RV tended to bark at nearly any and every noise if I weren't present (she was 10 years old when we made our first RV trip and had survived the trauma five years earlier of being evacuated from our bedroom window into a rescue boat during the floods of 1993).

At the suggestions of friends in the "pet section", I tried a "barks no more" device, and she would bark once and when corrected by the device would shriek as if she were being attacked - - I was very relieved to have tested the device while I was near the coach as it was removed immediately. In the end, she never adapted to RVing, she did, however come to accept the trailer as her home which reduced the barking considerably (she would still bark whenever someone came within her territory - - an approximate 3' perimeter around the coach). To get her to accept the trailer as her home, we spent most of our time together in the trailer for at least a week before departing - - she had her special bed, toys, food, and water bowl in familiar locations; all of which seemed to increase her security in the trailer.

My current two Chihuahuas were both introduced to RVing while they were young, recently weaned puppies. I actually introduced the puppies to my Airstream before taking them into the house - - to this day, I tend to believe that they perceive the Airstream as home. They have been nearly ideal travelers, and individually are very quiet - - the only time that they tend to make any noise is when they decide to play - - the problem was that their preferred play time was in the wee hours of the morning; the solution has been that each has a pet porter to sleep in and they have been trained to go to the porter at bed time and when in the RV the doors are closed (no more early a.m. play sessions). They will bark, however, if someone is speaking loudly in close proximity to the coach or when anyone knocks on the door or side of the coach. (The little 2.5 pound female is spoiled - - she rides on the passenger seat in the Suburban with the seat heater set to high; and she knows if she whimpers just once at night that I will let her get under my covers - - by morning she has usually burrowed under my pillows and is asleep at the head of my bed curled up next to the wall bolster under the pillows.)

With my current two Chihuahus, I leave their pet porters open so that they can retreat to their safety zone when I am away from the coach. When checking with my neighbors after an absence, I generally hear that the only time they hear anything from the pups is if someone went to the door or if someone got too close to the coach. One of the reasons that I like my toy Chihuahuas is that they are litter box/puppy pad trained so they are much easier to clean up after. My biggest shock at one rally was when I returned after being away on a tour for the entire day, and my neighbors didn't even realize that I had dogs in the coach (for some reason they hadn't barked all day) - - I was royaly scolded when I opened the door upon return by two quizzical faces saying "how dare you leave us without attention for so long" - - they had also found some tissue paper and the coach was adorned with tissue confetti.

With all of my Chihuahuas, I have found that they are far more apt to bark when at a Rally with minimal electric where they are exposed to outside noises. When at Rallys where electric service allows air conditioning, I run my air conditioner (sometimes just on the fan setting) to avoid opening the windows (I have a two-fold reason - - it helps to keep the pups quiet and it is better for my allergies and asthma).

Kevin

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 07:28 AM   #17
Arr, we captain our ship!

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Kevin,

Sounds like you found a solution. Seems like many of us who have experiences with shock and "no-bark" collars shudder at the thought of using them...

As we all know, some breeds are more prone to barking than others. When upset, our Jack Russell barks a lot and of our three dogs, he is the most prone to create a problem if left to his own devices. Fortunately, he was born in an RV in Jackson Hole and spent his first 8 weeks traveling. He loves our CCD and does very well camping!
Old 07-16-2004, 08:02 AM   #18
Arr, we captain our ship!

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Anyone else notice the 'Google' targeted ads that appear at the top of this thread? They rotate and the last one I saw was a series of "no bark" collar links...

Arrrrr!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ASFdog.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	7774  
Old 07-16-2004, 09:12 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Acworth , Georgia
Smile Afghan Hounds Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
BTW, our noisy dog is crate trained as well. She loves her crate, and often plays in it for fun. It's definitly not terrorizing if they're introduced to it when they're puppies!
After I posted the thread, I thought my wording might have been a bit harsh and out of context. The crates are good things; my brother's pups have made their wire crate their home and domain. What I wanted to convey was not to use the crate as a "solitary confinement" punishment tool. Uncle Matty discusses this concept as well.

Looks like you are getting great input from lots of nice folks who really love their pets. Good Luck!
Old 07-16-2004, 09:23 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
I have just the opposite problem- Teaching my quiet dog into barking like crazy, when I go down in a seizure. I don't want her to turn into a barking dog. But I am counting on people to be attracted to the barking (even if annoyed) and then see her medic alert- service dog cape. I'll certainly check out Uncle's site! thanks, suz
Old 07-16-2004, 11:30 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Pets, Barking and Whines - A Sane Discussion Please

Greetings Suz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver suz
I have just the opposite problem- Teaching my quiet dog into barking like crazy, when I go down in a seizure. I don't want her to turn into a barking dog. But I am counting on people to be attracted to the barking (even if annoyed) and then see her medic alert- service dog cape. I'll certainly check out Uncle's site! thanks, suz
I don't know whether this would work for you, but it is something that we did in training one of our Chihuahuas to assist my mother who had a severe hearing impairment. It came about out of a chance set of circumstances - - I had recently moved to a home in a rural area wher coyotes howled nearly every evening and for some reason my Chihuahua decided to mimick them. Later, the Chihuahua decided that anytime she was disturbed by something she would howl to draw our attention.

We used a recording of the coyotes howling with my mother's Chihuahua puppy that was played when the door bell rang or the phone rang and rewarded the puppy when she answered the door bell/telephone ring with a howl - - very shortly, she would howl when the telephone rang or the door bell rang. She definitely attracted my mother's attention and the howl meant only door bell or telephone. I don't know whether a similar method might work with your dog, or what "cue" would be used to prompt the "alarm" response.

Good luck with your dog's training program!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 08:13 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy82301
Hello.. would not use one.. we had invisible fencing and it has turned our Lhasa into a neurotic dog ...
I also don't like to use invisible fencing for the same reasons. I have a related story to share...We recently adopted a 2-year old Golden Retriever who was raised on invisible fencing. When we got him home to a no-invisible fencing environment it was interesting to watch him de-program over the course of a month. He would walk up to just 2 feet away from the yew hedges in our backyard and just stop. As time progressed, he would take a step closer and just stop. Now, after a few months, he doesn't stop! I'd like to believe he no longer worries about the warnings and counter effects of the invisible fencing!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 09:26 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
Thanks, Kevin that is great advice! silver suz
Old 07-17-2004, 02:34 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
1960 18' "Footer"
Belen , New Mexico
ugh!

Well, we are two weeks into the fulltiming experience and this morning we were awaken by our new neighbors dogs barking (the owners were not there). I was pretty annoyed but after reading this thread I have hope that maybe our neighbors are still in the training process with their dogs and not just big jerks that don't care about their pets

fingers crossed!
Old 07-21-2004, 08:23 AM   #25
1963 Globetrotter

1963 19' Globetrotter
Detroit , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&J
fingers crossed!
Uncross those fingers and put them in your ears - most likely they are jerks. Just read an item in the Good Sam Magazine about how more and more parks are either not allowing dogs, or not allowing pets (dogs) to be left alone at the site or in the rv's when the owners go away for the day.

Good luck on your fulltiming experiences! I was just thinking about that today. I'd love to give it all up and hit the road. Do need some cash reserves.

peace -
john
Old 07-21-2004, 08:36 AM   #26
1963 Globetrotter

1963 19' Globetrotter
Detroit , Michigan
Ok - Dog Owners - who's pets are troublesome speak up!

Lot's of nice people writing in this thread - but I'd like to hear from those owners who know full well that their dogs are annoying, bark and or whine when they are gone and why you would think one or everyone at that campground would want to listen to it for any length of time let alone all day when you are gone?

How shall we approach you to remedy the situation? But if you are too thick in the head or just so darn self centered what can we do? You will ruin it for all of us! And you have ruined many a nice vacation already.

I know the campground owners are at a loss to be of help. Perhaps if we just call the local humane society and report this as an abuse case? Dog locked in a trailer! Or should I do like when I see a dog locked in a hot car and break in and relieve the dog of his suffering - physical/mental?

If your presence and/or the presence of your pets knowingly will only annoy your fellow campers - JUST STAY HOME!
Old 07-21-2004, 12:47 PM   #27
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Because of bad experiences with neglegted and therefore barking dogs, I would favor a rule in campgrounds that either prohibit leaving them alone altogether, and/or ask the owners of noisy dogs to leave the campground immediately.
I do not mind playful barking, or an occasional yelp, after all, dogs are people, too.
we've often had dog neighbors while camping, and had them come visit and hang out close by. We're not anti-dog, but very much anti-irresponsible dog owner.
Btw, we do not have a dog.
Old 08-10-2004, 03:38 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Reading this thread and others like it, I've been wondering how my dog would behave if I ever left him in the trailer alone.
We spent a few days at San Mateo campground recently. Other sites near us had some very barky dogs. (We were near the showers). Hubby was surfing at San Onofre, so I spent some time proofing my dog about making noise if I were ever to leave him in the trailer.
I got him comfortable and left him inside, took a magazine with me and walked away (as if leaving). I went far enough away for him to think I was gone, but still able to hear him if he lit up. I read a few articles, maybe 5 or 10 minutes. When I returned, I praised him for being such a good dog and all that jazz. I plan to do this many, many times, extending the time gradually.
I have done this with all my dogs, beginning as puppies. I leave them in my car (on cool days or covered parking of course), and walk away into the store or somewhere else out of site. Stores with two way glass are ideal. This is a good way to make sure they will behave, even if someone walks close to the car. I always start with just a few minutes, then extend the time.
Often I leave him in the covered parking and spend an hour at the gym, then take him to our obedience class for a training workout.
I think the idea is to make them feel secure and safe, with the understanding that we will return, and that there is no threat. I'd like to think he knows that whenever I return, a good time is in store for him.
If someone tried to molest my car or trailer, I'm sure it would be another story. After all, that is his job.
I don't expect to be able to trust him alone in the trailer for a long time, but I figure the exercise is good if I never need to do it.