Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-30-2004, 02:41 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Rivet Pet Trauma Kit

Since we're all getting ready to hit the road, I thought it would be a good idea to post a thread for pet emergencies. It's always a good idea to check with your vet before you leave.

If you take meds like Benedryl find out how much and how often for your pet.

We had our dog tested for heartworm and used the medication before and after our last trip to Colorado last summer.

Pet Trauma Kit
1) Guidebook to Animal Emergencies
4) 3"x 3" gauze pads
2) 5"x 9" trauma pad
2) 4"x 4.1yd. stretch gauze
1) 2"x 5yd. cohesive flexible bandage
1) pair latex gloves
1) metal scissors
1) plastic forceps
1) pencil
1) 3 oz. bottle Certi-Dine PVP iodine
1) 4 oz. bottle eye-skin wash
2) insect swabs
2) 1 g. hydrocortisone cream
1) 1 oz. tube antibiotic cream
5) cotton swabs
2) antiseptic towelettes
1) powdered stypic
2) Green Soap towelettes
1) handiwipe
1) 2"x 5 yds. adhesive tape
1) 8"x10" resealable bag
Old 05-09-2004, 11:14 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

another First Aid list for Pets

Veterinarian's phone number
* Local Poison Control Center's phone number
* Gauze to wrap wounds or muzzle animal
* Adhesive tape for bandages
* Nonstick bandages to protect wounds or control bleeding
* Towels and cloth
* Hydrogen peroxide (3%)
* Milk of Magnesia or activated charcoal to absorb poison (Be sure to get the advice of your veterinarian or local poison control center before inducing vomiting or treating an animal for poisoning.)
* Eyedropper to give oral treatments
* Muzzle (soft cloth, rope, necktie or nylon stocking) or use a towel to cover a small animal's head. Do not use in case of vomiting.
* Stretcher (A door, board, blanket or floor mat)

Pet photographs with current immunization records.
* Makes sure pet always wears a collar with proper identification.
* A secure pet carrier of appropriate size, seat belt harness
* Food/water bowls
* A supply of dry food
* Water in plastic containers
* Pet medications and health records
* Leashes and muzzles
* Newspapers and paper towels for cleanup
* Animal Toys
Old 05-09-2004, 01:10 PM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Good lists. That reminds me, I never even thought about heartworm. We don't get that up here so our dogs are unprotected. I guess that's another thing to consider when you're travelling - diseases you might not have to worry about at home.

I always give them their frontline (flea and tick) stuff monthly during trip season though, so at least they won't bring any of those back with them.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 08:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Remember, the stuff that you use for heartworm and ticks/fleas is poison. The folks that work in the factories that make the stuff are required to wear protective clothing and take special precautions against exposure. Some dogs have terrible reactions to it - ours did.

It's much cheaper and safer, IMHO, to run a heartworm bloodwork test two or three times a year and treat if a test comes back positive. We need to run the heartworm bloodwork in May and November here in New Mexico. Cost? About $15 each. That's our only option anyway for our female German Shepherd. She's eleven and has never tested positive...

Chemical flea collars can be quite dangerous, radiating nerve poisons that pass into your system as well as your pet’s.

Truly healthy animals do not have much of a problem with fleas (again, IMHO). We feed a fresh food diet and it seems that we rarely see a flea even though they are a problem in NM where they are known to carry the plague. You do not want fleas here. We use several herbal preparations that have been very effective for us over the years including fleabane and limonene. Here are some other safe alternatives we've used successfully:

Fleago is a fine crystal borate powder that kills fleas, larvae, and eggs through a mechanical process of abrasion. The microscopic edges of the crystals scratch the exterior coating of the fleas, causing leakage of body fluids and death by dehydration. Unlike conventional poisons, fleas cannot become immune to Fleago’s effects. The crystals are simple to apply, migrating down into carpet fibers, flooring, and upholstery, where they are virtually undetectable. You can even treat your car for total protection. The inert mineral salts in Fleago are not toxic to people, pets, or plants. Allow two to three weeks for fleas to completely disappear.

Insect growth regulators (IGR’s) can prevent a flea infestation from starting. Not a poison or a pesitcide, an IGR is a chemical compound that blocks the insect’s hormonal activity and prevents flea larvae from maturing to adulthood. The IGR Methoprene, also known by the trade name, Precor, can be mixed as an odorless water-based spray and applied everywhere indoors where fleas might reside. Precor is invisible, nontoxic, and remains effective for four to seven months.

Pyrethrum powder has been used for decades to kill fleas and other pests indoors. Sprinkle in your house and in your vacuum bag to kill hatching larvae, or use as a flea powder directly on your pet.

Food for thought!

X
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 10:27 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Hmmm, sounds like fleago is plain old boric acid powder..... cuts those little fleas all to pieces, they dehydrate and die.
We travel extensivly with our dogs, and swear by Frontline Topspot topically applied. Used once every ninety days is sufficient for fleas, but if you want to make sure no ticks, then every thirty days is a must.
Lyme disease from deer ticks is a horrid disease, exensive to treat. The vaccine for Lyme is not 100% and has caused more problems than Topspot!
Heartworm can be treated. Again, extremely hard on the dog, and expensive. If you want ot save money, check into Ivermectin sold in farm stores as a cattle wormer, I think. That was the first preventative. My dad's dog developed heartworm so I am familiar first-hand with the tretments, monetary costs, and how hard it on the dog!
Having seen the havoc ticks, heartworms, and fleas, can cause to dogs and the households they live in, my choice has been to use both Heartguard and Frontline. Your choice does not have to be the same.
And don't forget to keep some pepto bismo in the dog box- good for all kinds of tummy upsets or diarhea. Milk of magnesia is good for hotspots, as is Listerine. Peroxide is good for several things, including making a dog heave if you have to! Vet approved to get them to upchuck.
Hmmm. What else is in my tack box? 2% hydrocortisone ointment, triple antibiotic, triple anitbiotic ointment for eyes, a quart of saline solution, ear cleanser, ear powder from Ron's Pharmacy in Texas (boric acid powder, zinc oxide powder, iodoform powder), blue lightening ear treatment (16 drops 2% gentian violet, 2 Tablespoons boric acid powder in one pint rubbing alcohol) Oh yeah, vet wrap, that self adhesive stuff used to wrap horse's legs.... comes in great colors! I also keep aspirin on hand, melatonin for calming, especially during thunder storms, and flagyl pills. I'm sure there is other stuff there, I'll have to check.
The dogs carry a bigger bundle of paperwork with them than I do for myself! Copies of registrations, their microchip numbers on everything, on all paperwork for each dog, current vaccination records..... we go back and forth to Canada.
And for what it's worth, when we go to Canada, we take only enough food for them to eat while there, and a new, unopened bag to come back into th states.... that way we don't lose our dog food at the border as happened to friends of mine!

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 05-10-2004, 06:08 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Elizabeth,

We will be heading to Canada in a few weeks. Can you start a new thread/topic regarding your tips/hints on crossing the border (both ways) with dogs? I think it would be very helpful to us animal lovers.

Sounds like you got it figured out.

Thanks!

X
Old 05-10-2004, 07:18 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
crossing border

X-ray, we cross the border a lot as I am from the states and my wife is from canada, all you need is their rabbies papers. Marvin BTW if you are near Peterborough stop and say hello. Lots to see and do here.
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 07:43 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Please clarify that you don't need a health certificate to cross into Canada or return to the US.

Thanks,

X
Old 05-10-2004, 08:26 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
certificates

X-ray, Just got off the phone with costoms, just wanted to make sure and not give you the wrong info. If you are going from the states to canada you need rabbies certificate for cat or dog within the last three years. Going from canada to the states you need a rabbies certificate within the last year. That is all you need. A lot of times they don't even ask us for that but we always have it in hand and maybe they know what it is. Marvin
WBCCI 10103
Old 05-10-2004, 08:35 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Muchos gracias!

Very helpful.

X
Old 05-10-2004, 09:09 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
So Marvin - re - going into the states - if they are asking for a Rabies Certificate for that year and we are on a 3 year system here - are we to re-vaccinate or has your vet just dated and signed the 3 year certificate.

PS this topic is a real heated one on many canine boards - in most cases the Rabies is good for 5 years but the Veterinary system is slow (cautious) to let down the guards. But also the huge issue of owners not taking their pets to the vet on an annual basis - money issue yes but I believe more of a health issue.

A few other points from above....
Heartworm chemicals is what they actual treat your dog with if it had heartworm - so basically you are giving a small dose monthly - IMHO Bloodtesting is much healthier for your dog. (Lost two dogs at 8 to cancer) and am convinced it is because of all the treatments we pump into them.

Healthy dogs well fed (either fresh, raw, high grade kibble with extras) and exercised with excellent immune systems are not likely to pick up fleas, ticks and the like. Fleas, Ticks and Lice are everywhere in the ground - dogs that have problems with these are usually run down, or have an underlying disease or on a very poor quality kibble that is basically fiber filler (100's out there).
Smaller dogs that have a sedantry lifestyle can be prone - just becuase they are small does not mean they don't need exercise - and weight control is a huge issue with many pet owners - a fat dog will be a dead dog to fast - keep your dogs on the lean side as opposed to the chunkier side.

Treat with icecubes and lots of exercise. Does not mean you have to walk them - just play a game of fetch with the little ones get them running around your house/trailer.

Fresh garlic in meals is a good ward to mosquitos - we live in mosquito haven and have used the natural garlic based spray in our yard/forest (no chems) and it really does work - it is the natural sulfar that garilic gives off that mosquitos do not like so they stay clear. (you don't kill them and anyone who thinks they can with these fandangled zappers and stuff well - there is money well spent on something of more value . Fresh galic gloves ground up/pureed and frozen in icecube trays - then give a 1/4 tsp per meal - they don't get really stinky garlic breath but eventually they do eminate the sulfar that wards of the mosquitos.

Tip on the poops - try bring a can of pure pumpkin pulp along or add to your firstaid list. Give a table spoon per meal for two days then down to 1/4 per meal - it will clear it up in a jiff. If not then you should be going to a local vet as there will be a more serious problem than just something they snarfled up.

Great lists above - will add a few items we did not have - PS Duct Tape is a must too on any list. Came in very hanyd when our one golden cut her paw right to the bone with a zebra muscle - pressure bandage and duct tape provided the stability presure and water resistence needed till we could get her to the vet - a 2 hour boat trip from where we were.

don't forget lots of cotton balls or swabs to clean out their ears - when camping/boating there are lots of things that can get in there that normally would not when at home.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 10:45 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedars
My dad's dog developed heartworm so I am familiar first-hand with the tretments, monetary costs, and how hard it on the dog!
I agree! Some dogs don't survive the treatment. My sister lost her dog to heartworm treatment last month. We have mosquitoes here like crazy, so I'd rather not take the chance with my pooch.

Quote:
What else is in my tack box? ...triple anitbiotic ointment for eyes...
Where do you get the antibiotic eye ointment? What is the brand name?

Quote:
...ear cleanser...
I use a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and rubbing alcohol. The vinegar promotes an acidic environment and the alcohol dissolves the ear wax and dries moisture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xray
Truly healthy animals do not have much of a problem with fleas (again, IMHO).
I don't think it's that easy. I had two Pomeranians when we were first married. They ate the same, exercised the same, went everywhere together, slept in the same bed, etc. They were almost two halves of one dog. One of them always had at least a few fleas on her no matter what we tried (until the new flea preventatives came out). The other dog never had a flea. Go figure!
Old 05-10-2004, 11:07 AM   #13

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I agree, I don't see why the health of a dog should effect if it has fleas or not. Then again, if a dog has a bad infestation, it will not be as healthy - maybe giving the impression that only sickly dogs get fleas. Fleas are a parasite, and they will jump on your dog if given the chance. Our Dal, Chester, recently found a dying wild bunny in the yard and brought it back to the patio before we noticed what he had and made him drop it. I then spent the next hour picking these HUGE fleas off of him! He's very allergic to fleas, and just a few bites will leave him pink and itchy and miserable all over. The next day I went to the vet and got some more Frontline for him just to be sure we hadn't missed any (he was a little overdue for his monthly dose) - plus obviously the bunny was infested and was in the yard, so there's always a chance of picking them up in the yard.

As I understand, the topical flea treatments are a food-grade pesticide which is used on fruit and veg imported from foreign countries. Understandibly, anyone working in a factory, handling huge amounts of any chemical daily would have to take safety precautions, but that doesn't mean that it is necessarily poisonous when used in proper dosages on your pet. It's a heck of a lot better than the useless sprays, powers and collars I grew up with. When I was a kid we had dogs who suffered terribly from fleas, so as far as I'm concerned, the Frontline is a huge step forward.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 11:32 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
aking for rabies cert.

Sharon, Toby is just over two years now, the last two times they haven't even ask for a cert. but I guess we will have to cross that bridge when we come to it. Marvin
WBCCI 10103
Old 05-10-2004, 03:08 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
We cross into Canada at Windsor or Port Huron, and out at Stanhope, Vt. Having been warned by friends about dog food and meat, we paid heed last fall. As we came back into the states, I asked about the policies in effect. Was told dog food would have been confiscated, bird food for sure, and opened meat. Bringing back sealed packages of meat clearly identified as a US product was okay. But then, I'm a very honest boarder crosser, and declare anything and everything! When we trucked, we saw all kinds of people get shook down and things confiscated. Better safe than sorry, I say.
For border crossing documents, I keep everything in a pocket envelope, only have to add our drivers licenses and they have everything on tap. I tend to be ultra cautious on crossings, so have copies of birth certs for us, drivers licenses, for the dogs I tuck in their registrations, rabies cert, health cert (overkill, but I do it anyway) current vaccination records, and microchip information, and for the car & trailer, copies of current registration, and of course, that all important Canadian Insurance cert. One neat bundle in a thing like a bank bag.
Old 05-10-2004, 03:44 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Stef, you won't convince me that poisons are good for your health. Anyway, we've followed Dr. Ronald Schultz' vaccination protocol for years, now. Could be that our over-reliance on vaccinations is causing some of the allergies your dog is experiencing. Or, could it be a suppressed immune system from chemicals? Who knows?

We over vaccinate everything for no other reason than it's a huge business. This link merits careful consideration by all pet owners, IMHO. Please take a moment to read it from beginning to end.

Schultz Vaccination Protocol from the Univ of Wisc Vet School

X
Old 05-10-2004, 04:00 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Just a little further on the fleas issue - to rephrase all are right there are a lot of factor why some get them and some don't just as some dogs have allergies to flea saliva and others don't.

I tend to lean towards the immune system and how strong it is. With the factors I mentioned above such as diet, exercise etc. are only part of it. You can build a weak immune system overtime.

As in your case Eddie with your two Pomeranians if they were from seperate litters one of the mothers may have been healthier than the other creating just that extra boost. If they were from the same litter one puppy may have been "first in line" for all the good stuff or the other may have been getting the dregs...

Nevertheless it is all a mystery and very much a hit and miss. I know that Taz was terribly ill as a puppy and her immune system was extremely weak, then bombing her every year and monthly with certain medications would bring her down just as she would show signs of being healthy. We made some radical changes to her dietary and medication routines, paid the big bucks for the blood allergy testing and have now seen a HUGE difference in her general health.

We also took a holistic approach to Haily's initial vaccination schedule as a puppy and we also see a huge difference in her health in comparison to the same regime on all our other dogs.

No matter how we slice it - these are pretty heavy duty toxic chemicals used in the protective type treatments - they may be small doses but all the tests results you see by the companies are 1-3 years - what about the dogs/cats that are on this regime for 8+ years - where are those results?? - or have they all died from cancer????

And this was the reason why we questioned two areas - their diet and their meds - because we knew our dogs were loved, exercised, protected from the elements (indoor babies) so the only other factors were diet and meds.

It turns out that Taz's terrible start to life was a severe reaction to the vaccinations Showing all the signs of distemper and parvo mixed together - although back then it was not mentioned as the possible reason. Many would have put the poor little thing down (as we went to do 3 times - but were assured that other than being very uncomfortable she was not in any pain) She became parralized and filled with infection from every gland. This is a picture of her when she had finally turned the corner and could start moving her legs again - her joints had filled with fluid. We had to provide 24 hour care and after 4 months she pulled through! And today you would never know she was the same dog. We had struggled for 4 years with various ailments and since her routine changed she has been itch/illness free for two years. And the picture with the frisbee was taken the day after we had to put her "Big Sister" Aby down with cancer.

However in the winter Haily picked up a nasty bacteria on one of our walks that turned into a bladder infection that was promptly passed onto Taz - so both had to go on meds and Haily a special diet to reduce crystals in her urine. Both have been clear for almost 4 months now.

Sorry for gabbing so much - just love our girls. I also know that everyone out there who loves their pets will do what they think works for their special furbaby - they are all different and react different to both diets and meds - just as we humans do. There are the iron guts and the ones that a single bit of flea saliva can put them into a series of hotspots for months.

Give all your pets a big hug!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Taz Fall Contest copy.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	6518  
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote