Old 05-10-2004, 03:08 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
We cross into Canada at Windsor or Port Huron, and out at Stanhope, Vt. Having been warned by friends about dog food and meat, we paid heed last fall. As we came back into the states, I asked about the policies in effect. Was told dog food would have been confiscated, bird food for sure, and opened meat. Bringing back sealed packages of meat clearly identified as a US product was okay. But then, I'm a very honest boarder crosser, and declare anything and everything! When we trucked, we saw all kinds of people get shook down and things confiscated. Better safe than sorry, I say.
For border crossing documents, I keep everything in a pocket envelope, only have to add our drivers licenses and they have everything on tap. I tend to be ultra cautious on crossings, so have copies of birth certs for us, drivers licenses, for the dogs I tuck in their registrations, rabies cert, health cert (overkill, but I do it anyway) current vaccination records, and microchip information, and for the car & trailer, copies of current registration, and of course, that all important Canadian Insurance cert. One neat bundle in a thing like a bank bag.

The carpeting is gone! The carpeting is gone! Long live the cork floor!
Cedars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 03:44 PM   #16
Arr, we captain our ship!
Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Stef, you won't convince me that poisons are good for your health. Anyway, we've followed Dr. Ronald Schultz' vaccination protocol for years, now. Could be that our over-reliance on vaccinations is causing some of the allergies your dog is experiencing. Or, could it be a suppressed immune system from chemicals? Who knows?

We over vaccinate everything for no other reason than it's a huge business. This link merits careful consideration by all pet owners, IMHO. Please take a moment to read it from beginning to end.

Schultz Vaccination Protocol from the Univ of Wisc Vet School

Xray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 04:00 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Just a little further on the fleas issue - to rephrase all are right there are a lot of factor why some get them and some don't just as some dogs have allergies to flea saliva and others don't.

I tend to lean towards the immune system and how strong it is. With the factors I mentioned above such as diet, exercise etc. are only part of it. You can build a weak immune system overtime.

As in your case Eddie with your two Pomeranians if they were from seperate litters one of the mothers may have been healthier than the other creating just that extra boost. If they were from the same litter one puppy may have been "first in line" for all the good stuff or the other may have been getting the dregs...

Nevertheless it is all a mystery and very much a hit and miss. I know that Taz was terribly ill as a puppy and her immune system was extremely weak, then bombing her every year and monthly with certain medications would bring her down just as she would show signs of being healthy. We made some radical changes to her dietary and medication routines, paid the big bucks for the blood allergy testing and have now seen a HUGE difference in her general health.

We also took a holistic approach to Haily's initial vaccination schedule as a puppy and we also see a huge difference in her health in comparison to the same regime on all our other dogs.

No matter how we slice it - these are pretty heavy duty toxic chemicals used in the protective type treatments - they may be small doses but all the tests results you see by the companies are 1-3 years - what about the dogs/cats that are on this regime for 8+ years - where are those results?? - or have they all died from cancer????

And this was the reason why we questioned two areas - their diet and their meds - because we knew our dogs were loved, exercised, protected from the elements (indoor babies) so the only other factors were diet and meds.

It turns out that Taz's terrible start to life was a severe reaction to the vaccinations Showing all the signs of distemper and parvo mixed together - although back then it was not mentioned as the possible reason. Many would have put the poor little thing down (as we went to do 3 times - but were assured that other than being very uncomfortable she was not in any pain) She became parralized and filled with infection from every gland. This is a picture of her when she had finally turned the corner and could start moving her legs again - her joints had filled with fluid. We had to provide 24 hour care and after 4 months she pulled through! And today you would never know she was the same dog. We had struggled for 4 years with various ailments and since her routine changed she has been itch/illness free for two years. And the picture with the frisbee was taken the day after we had to put her "Big Sister" Aby down with cancer.

However in the winter Haily picked up a nasty bacteria on one of our walks that turned into a bladder infection that was promptly passed onto Taz - so both had to go on meds and Haily a special diet to reduce crystals in her urine. Both have been clear for almost 4 months now.

Sorry for gabbing so much - just love our girls. I also know that everyone out there who loves their pets will do what they think works for their special furbaby - they are all different and react different to both diets and meds - just as we humans do. There are the iron guts and the ones that a single bit of flea saliva can put them into a series of hotspots for months.

Give all your pets a big hug!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Taz Fall Contest copy.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	6518  

Everything will be alright in the end. If it is not alright now, then it is not the end.
GT1963 is offline   Reply With Quote