Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-05-2016, 10:27 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
The "new" love at 0:51...

Old 09-12-2016, 06:27 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Sigh. Just had to let our elderly chihuahua mix go. We got Chocolate from the local shelter about 22 years ago, when she was probably 6-8 years old. She was a good dog, relatively quiet, and she was probably a backyard breeder female that got too old to breed.

She had strong mother instincts, and really mothered our younger pups when they moved in. All the others said goodbye to her about a day before, by gently licking her ears as she struggled to walk around our yard for one of the last times.

She was so frail and weak. Probably was dealing with cancer, as she had been losing weight slowly the past few months. She will be missed.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1473726391.113581.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	271585 she's the white-faced one in the lower right of this picture. 😣

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:33 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Very sorry to hear this 😢

What a long and wonderful life you gave her! Was she a chihuahua/husky mix? What a sweet face!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:17 PM   #44
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Pet Grief

We're not real sure what she was other than chihuahua mix. Her white bits were a soft light tan-brown when we got her. This picture is about a year old. She aged rather rapidly in the last few years.

The other pups in the picture are the rest of our pack of rescues. They all get along remarkably well, even the two solid white Malti-poos brothers fit in well. The boys were running the street when we rescued them. The solid black and solid brown ones are also brothers. They are Pomeranian chihuahua mixes we liberated from a backyard breeder. The big blonde one is a Tibetan Terrier also rescued. He likes to think he is the boss, but Chocolate could set him in his place.

This picture was taken at a friend house. His young daughter absolutely loved Chocolate. She was a very sweet dog.

Old 09-12-2016, 09:16 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
How are you doing with your grief? Our current beagle, Lexi, is the best dog we have ever had. The picture is her hunting moles. She is 8 and I have a hard time not worrying and mourning about when she will go. I don't think another can fill her shoes. I hope you have found another great friend. Dogs are amazing and healing creatures
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	131
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	271598  
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:34 PM   #46
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Just saw this thread. I've had many losses of pets and people. I always know I'll feel better later, but I hate to wait. I've learned a lot from dogs. They complain so much less than humans. I have learned a lot about unconditional love from dogs. They love playing and I'm still learning about that.

It looks like you have a new dog and a cat now, so you will learn more. I'm glad to see you will continue learning. A dog (not sure about cats) will always make you a better person, and maybe even more extraordinary.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:48 PM   #47
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Pet Grief

The odd thing about grief is that the rest of the dogs seem to experience it as well. They are a little subdued, and a bit clingy since Chocolate left us.

They seem to know something is not quite right. My daughter is home for a week from college, and I suspect that's helping the other dogs feel better.

Us humans will grieve in our own way, then try to move on. We still have responsibilities to the rest of our dogs, so we will stay busy. Chocolate did live a very long life.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:04 PM   #48
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Pet Grief

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Sigh. Just had to let our elderly chihuahua mix go. We got Chocolate from the local shelter about 22 years ago, when she was probably 6-8 years old.
--------------snip--------------

Oops. Major typo: we got the dog 12 years ago. She might have been 18-20 years old or so. I don't know if any dog living 28-30 years is usual....I do wish she could have, though. She will be missed.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:00 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved pet, rmkrum.

Maggie
Old 09-13-2016, 07:45 AM   #50
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
My vet sent a card with this on it after Farfel was put down:
"Grieve not, nor speak of me with tears, but laugh and talk of me as if I were beside you.... I loved you so.............'twas heaven here with you."

I went right out and got a new best friend from a rescue shelter. His name is Happyjack. Right now he is reminding me time for a romp.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:01 AM   #51
Rivet Master

Corona , California
I had all of the remaining dogs on my chair or close to me last night while we all watched tv.

The love is there. It's so funny...one of them worms his way into Chocolate's old spot between my side and the arm of the chair, then lays his head down with a big sigh of contentment. Dogs love their people unreservedly, no matter what. It's very calming.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:13 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
One of my best/saddest memories is walking our beloved Coupland to the lake to swim before heading to the vet for the last time (he was riddled with cancer). The walk was slow but I cherished the time (and I'm sure he did too). When we got to the water Coupland's excitement was palpable, and the joy and release of weightlessness for that one last swim on earth was a wonderful reminder of what was next. Sweet release.

Everyone urged us to "wait a while" after he was gone. The silence in the house was deafening. We now have the joy and love of our "snugglepunch," Luther, but I will never suggest that someone "wait a while." Life is too short to live even a moment without the pure love of a dog.
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:20 AM   #53
Rivet Master

Corona , California
I agree. Even as we have lost one dog, we have had others. They are not replacements, per se, but other friends and companions in a continuum of pets that touch our lives.

The pain as we part with them is tempered by the love we got from them and still get from the others.

Loving a short-lived animal is a commitment to caring for them during their concept of forever--if that makes sense.

You still lose a bit of your heart to them, but you can survive knowing you are giving them the gift of a good home and loving care. It's just hard to deal with the end of a good friend's life. It's not really logical to keep going through this, but love is not required to be logical.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:50 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

2008 34' Classic S/O
Arnprior , Ontario
Sorry for your loss. We have been there many times. It get easier as time goes on. We have Eddie with us. He is a 11 year old Golden. Still in great shape but slowing down. So am I. We both have some bumps and lumps and lots of miles left in us. Eddie is number 5 in our string of Goldens. We are thinking about number 6. It would be easy to stop at 5, but coming home without 6 or 7 or maybe #8 in our lives....... dont think so.
Please give it time and focus on the great memories.
God Bless all the dogs and dog lovers
Pete
S/OS#88
white laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 06:52 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
rmkrum, so sorry for your loss. You are a good guy to rescue those dogs.
Old 09-15-2016, 06:57 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Matt View Post
How are you doing with your grief? Our current beagle, Lexi, is the best dog we have ever had. The picture is her hunting moles. She is 8 and I have a hard time not worrying and mourning about when she will go. I don't think another can fill her shoes. I hope you have found another great friend. Dogs are amazing and healing creatures
NorCalMatt, the grief comes and goes. I love your Lexi. (Looks a lot like my first beagle). Yes, they are busy hunters. Moles, field mice, squirrels, feral rabbits).

Lexi has many years left. Try to enjoy the now w/o worrying about the when.

I wasn't ready to get another beagle, but found one at the shelter that deserved a break. She is the first beagle that I have not had since puppyhood. She has some issues from her prior owner (some people should never own a beagle) but we are working it out.

All the best to you and your Lexi.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:00 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by white laker View Post
God Bless all the dogs and dog lovers
Pete
Yes.

Thank-you Pete.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:03 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
My vet sent a card with this on it after Farfel was put down:
"Grieve not, nor speak of me with tears, but laugh and talk of me as if I were beside you.... I loved you so.............'twas heaven here with you."

I went right out and got a new best friend from a rescue shelter. His name is Happyjack. Right now he is reminding me time for a romp.
Lumatic, thanks for sharing.

'twas heaven here with you.

That it was.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:10 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Just saw this thread. I've had many losses of pets and people. I always know I'll feel better later, but I hate to wait. I've learned a lot from dogs. They complain so much less than humans. I have learned a lot about unconditional love from dogs. They love playing and I'm still learning about that.

It looks like you have a new dog and a cat now, so you will learn more. I'm glad to see you will continue learning. A dog (not sure about cats) will always make you a better person, and maybe even more extraordinary.

Gene
Gene, thank-you for your kind, sage words. I am glad I posted this thread because it will help those struggling with pet grief.

Yes, I do have another dog love in my life.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:35 PM   #60
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Pet Grief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
rmkrum, so sorry for your loss. You are a good guy to rescue those dogs.

Our whole family is into dog rescue. We've never 'bought' a dog. We find them, or it seems they find us. The last two crossed a busy street to get to us. The security guy at the place said he'd seen them, but they never had crossed the street. They seem to know what to do. Two Malti-poo brothers. Starving and matted. Had to do something, and Wife and I refuse to drop any dog at a so-called shelter.