Old 02-19-2016, 08:34 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
I've never known any dog who's ears didn't perk up, tail goes up and entire posture changes to show excitement when the word "walk" or "drive" is directed at them or even part of the general conversation with someone else. Happens every time - no matter how old they are or how much they are hurting. That walk was exactly the right thing to do - for you and for her.

So sorry for your loss.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:25 AM   #16
Agent 86

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
The guilt is because you miss your dog. Looking back in shoulda, coulda, woulda, mode will always highlight things we think we might have done better or differently.

It sounds to me like you provided a wonderful home for your friend. Let that be enough as he lives in your memories.

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:31 AM   #17
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I've lost many dogs..... All very special. We lost a very old boxer about a year ago. I had been carrying him out to go for nearly 3 years. I still miss him every day!
Life goes on, but having them makes it better!

Enjoy the memories of the happy times..... Lots if dogs need forever homes!
Old 02-19-2016, 09:34 AM   #18
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
FaN,

"Fado" sends his Love & understanding....as I dry a tear.

Bob

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:11 PM   #19
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
We think dogs do not comprehend time well. Yet their spirits soar when near us... Just as our spirits soar when seeking the owner of our soul...

Anything we have let into the sacred space of our heart... Changes us.... Improves us.. Helps us seek and attain that which we never knew or perhaps thought possible ....

What is it about humans that we risk such dear loss? We know....
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:18 PM   #20
Agent 86

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
We think dogs do not comprehend time well. Yet their spirits soar when near us... Just as our spirits soar when seeking the owner of our soul...

Anything we have let into the sacred space of our heart... Changes us.... Improves us.. Helps us seek and attain that which we never knew or perhaps thought possible ....

What is it about humans that we risk such dear loss? We know....

Amen.

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:33 PM   #21
Some Guy

Nashville , Tennessee
Life if full of difficult decisions. We do what we believe is the best based on the info we have before us.
Your stint to the creek was certainly the thing that allowed your pups spirit to soar.

Reading your post reminded me of a poem once written and read by the late, great Jimmy Stewart:

https://youtu.be/mwGnCIdHQH0
2015 F250 TV-Petrol
djarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:33 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
So very sorry for your loss, which, as a dog lover, I know is quite considerable. All of us dog lovers must face the day you just faced and it is heartbreaking.

You did the best, most loving things you could for your pup.

Remember your pup with love for the rest of your days and some day, when you are able, bring another pup into your heart. It will be very good for you both. Dogs are the greatest companion gift the Lord has given man. They are priceless, soulful, loving beings.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:08 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
I was going to keep this to myself - but your kindness has inspired me to share - especially what cwf wrote, about those sacred spaces in our heart.

I have had some boxes piled on the back porch awaiting delivery to the thrift shop. A couple of weeks ago one of the boxes containing scarves, purses, and costume jewellery fell over and a few things spilled out. I picked the fallen items up and plunked them back into the box.

The last day of the beagle's life, I carried her to the chair on the back porch to catch some rare winter sun. She fell asleep with her head over my heart.

Today I went back out on the porch - couldn't bear to look at that chair - but saw something shiny on the floor. It was a faux silver heart locket. It had obviously fallen out of the box destined for the thrift store and I somehow missed it. I thought I had picked-up everything.

There must have been a reason why I did not see it weeks ago. I can't help but feel this is the beagle's last gift - it had to be more than a fluke. That locket will always be with me. In time, I will find a favourite photo of the beagle and glue it to the locket.

Am also trying to remember the good parts. Like....when we went Airstreaming and I stopped and left the truck, she would sometimes prop her feet on the steering wheel and start blowing the horn. One time she did it at a truck stop (while I was inside the convenience store buying some junk food) and she started blowing the horn. A beefy trucker who was at the counter waiting to pay for his Red Bull said to the cashier, "Who's the azzhole blowing the horn?" I said it was my dog. The cashier and trucker looked out the window and there was the beagle peering over the steering wheel - with the horn still blasting.
Old 02-20-2016, 03:23 AM   #24
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sweet stories, FaN.

Cherish those memories, and know that your sweet pooch will live forever through them.

And signs....I believe in signs.

May they comfort you.

Maggie
Old 02-20-2016, 06:10 AM   #25
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
I grieve for you and with you.
This is the first time in many years I have not had a little pal.
I had to put her down about 2 1/2 years ago.
Even now, this callous, crass old clodpate gets misty eyed when I think of her.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:07 AM   #26
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
I'm so sorry for your loss. Our pets really aren't , they're just little people. Never look back in regret. You LOVED your friend and she loved you. You did everything you could with perfect intent. All that remains is the Love.
It's OK to cry. It will get better when the precious memories cause laughter. I pray for God to comfort you and give you the peace that your heart needs.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:57 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
FAN, so sorry for your loss.

Let the time at the creek be a good memory while you mourn. We all do the best we can by our faithful companions but at some point we can't do any more.

When our Fiona died in September I was full of what ifs but knew in my heart I had done the best I could for her

Fiona Dos is now carrying on her legacy.

Dana

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 10:13 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Pet Grief

Even though we may feel like we have the best communication in the world with our dogs, 99% of it is on an emotional level. Sometimes a little more factual understanding would be nice, but I guess we'll have to wait on evolution to take care of that in some far distant future generation of dogs and humans. In the mean time, you know if you felt good and if your dog felt good about that last walk together, and that's what we should cling to.

Whether my dog actually prefers to have some warm water put in her food like I've done since she was a puppy, or whether she would just as soon have it dry is something that could easily be resolved with a few simple words that will never come. Oh, I suppose I could experiment both ways, but it hardly seems worth the trouble, and might just confuse her. Or like yesterday, when I went for a short visit with my ex-wife, who usually takes care of Lupe when I'm away on a trip, who always takes great care of her, but who Lupe associates with being left with when I go away. It would have been nice to have just been able to communicate with Lupe that she wasn't going to be left; that it was just a short visit, but since I couldn't communicate that simple factual information, Lupe had to be all apprehensive and stick to me like glue the whole time we were there.

I'm sure that if your dog could have communicated like we do, she would have said, "You know that walk we took yesterday? That was the greatest thing we could have done together on my last day of walking around here on earth." But since you can't know that for a fact, you still feel a little apprehensive about it. But from the way you wrote about the experience, I think you do know it in your heart, which is the best we can hope for at our current stage of evolution between dogs and humans.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums