Old 10-22-2007, 03:00 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Pet First Aid

My thread on safety upgrades (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/safety-upgrades-37028.html) got me thinking about first aid kits and so on....

I carry a first aid kit for my dogs as well. There are commercial ones that are pre-packed and have some basics, but I put one together myself based on a the Pet First aid class I took: http://www.petsamerica.org/petfirstaid.html and modified/added to it based on my pet's history and known health issues.

The class was quite good, learning CPR and other first aid basics to do on a dog or cat....

I realize the class I took seems to be limited to Texas only, but the American Red Cross has a 128 page handbook available as well thru your local chapter: http://www.redcross.org/pubs/

Just a thought for those who bring their 4 legged friends on their Airstreaming adventures... (would instert a dog icon here but can't see to find one!)

Kevin
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pets America First Aid Kit List.pdf (144.5 KB, 61 views)

Old 10-22-2007, 03:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
New Holland , Ohio
AWESOME info! I kow a lot of 'Streamers camp with their pets, and their health and safety is a very important concern.

Thanks for the info!! Karma coming your way!

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 03:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
This is great. I forwarded to a couple of couples who are out with the dogs a lot and have had problems in the past.

Thank you for taking the time to share it.

Barry
Old 10-22-2007, 03:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Canine OTC dosages

Thanks Bandit for sharing this valuable information. Definitely important when traveling with our pets. Our search and rescue organization also used to carry this cheat sheet for common over-the-counter drug dosages for dogs. I keep a copy on a 3x5 card taped to the inside lid of my K9 first aid kit.
K9 QUICK REFERENCE CARD.doc

• • • Aluminocentricity • • •
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 04:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot
Thanks Bandit for sharing this valuable information. Definitely important when traveling with our pets. Our search and rescue organization also used to carry this cheat sheet for common over-the-counter drug dosages for dogs. I keep a copy on a 3x5 card taped to the inside lid of my K9 first aid kit.
Attachment 47820
That's great info. I had my vet look over the list from Pets America, made some changes based on a 5 lb and 50 lb dog, and even had him give me a half dozen or so common prescription meds that may be needed. Some were based on current medical history, others he gave were based on common things he thought I might need if I was far away from the nearest vet. Also have the vet's cell # for emergencies, and know that he can advise what meds to take or what procedures to do if I can't find the local vet....

Speaking of local vet, I personally am partial to AHAA accredited animal hospitals. Don't get me wrong, in an emergency I'll take anything, but as a rule, I have a printed list of AHAA hospitals of each state I go to, just in case.

http://healthypet.aahanet.org/eweb/startpage.aspx?site=HealthyPet

Also for long road trips, I will print a listing of the local vets (and emergency after hours vets if they have them) in or near the city of each planned overnight stop, as well as my final destination.

Kevin
Old 10-30-2007, 12:41 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We have to carry subcutaneous fluids for one of our dogs because she is prone to pneumonia and can spiral down to dehydration within a day or so if she begins to get sick...our vet taught us how to administer it. This gives us time to get home to our regular vet if necessary and we are on a short trip...haven't had to administer it yet, thankfully...

But besides knowing what to do and being prepared if there is an issue with our dogs, we always ask our vet for a vet referral in destination cities where we are headed...ours is an emergecy vet clinic, so they have a wide network... This way, if we do need to take one of our "kids" to a strange vet, we will at least have an intro and a name to ask for...with the assurance that our own vet is only a call away...

Nothing is too good for our "kids"...
TB
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:38 AM   #7
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi_Bandit
My thread on safety upgrades (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/safety-upgrades-37028.html) got me thinking about first aid kits and so on....

I carry a first aid kit for my dogs as well. There are commercial ones that are pre-packed and have some basics, but I put one together myself based on a the Pet First aid class I took: http://www.petsamerica.org/petfirstaid.html and modified/added to it based on my pet's history and known health issues.

The class was quite good, learning CPR and other first aid basics to do on a dog or cat....

I realize the class I took seems to be limited to Texas only, but the American Red Cross has a 128 page handbook available as well thru your local chapter: http://www.redcross.org/pubs/

Just a thought for those who bring their 4 legged friends on their Airstreaming adventures... (would instert a dog icon here but can't see to find one!)

Kevin
Hey this is great...thanx to all.
One problem though (I thought I was crazy...then I did it twice and confirmed I am crazy!) when I printed that .pdf I got an inverse image?!

Anyone else get that?
Kevin, can you please re-scan?

Thanx, Bill