Old 09-17-2003, 06:44 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

We carry Benedryl, an Epi-pen (injectable epinephrin), full first aid kit (splints, etc.), and anything else we can imagine. We used to field search and rescue dogs in Colorado and know what you might run into. Anything! Be prepared. Injectable vitamin C is something we are looking into as a hedge against snake bites in our dogs. Some of the research on it is very promising. The problem with carrying antivenin is that it is unstable and very expensive.

For instance, see:
http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/vitc.htm

You accept animals into your lives and you realize that they are not just doorstops. They are (or should be) just as important as children (sorry if I offend any Answers in Genesis folks out there). Several years ago our five year old German Shepherd passed on who, literally, cost us $1,000 a month to feed and attend to every month of his life. The burden was astronomical but worth every penny. I can't tell you how many times people (including vets) just shook their heads and suggested we have him put down due to the expense alone... Up to the end, he was a vibrant, happy pooch who just happened to cost a lot. It wasn't his fault. One of our vets realized how difficult it was for us and gave us all our vet care "at cost" or for free for those trying years. What a generous, caring man he was. When he eventually retired and we were forced to find another vet, we realized that he had been subsidizing our costs for years... wow.

Coming from the insurance biz (formerly), I always wondered how the pet insurance product could work... Let's just say that I am not surprised at Kimili's experience. But, since it is insurance, the applicable state's insurance department oversees claims payments, false advertising, setting premiums, etc. Might try filing a complaint. The seller will jump to action once the state insurance department gets involved. They are nasty and can impose fines, force payment, levy penalties, and, generally, make life miserable... Use the department in your state, not the seller's state as a starter.

Good thread all!

Old 09-17-2003, 08:34 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

This is a list of misc. that could come in handy for pets and people alike. Perhaps we can put together a list through this thread for a safety kit? Thanks for the great advice everyone!

Dog Trauma Kit
1) Guidebook to Animal Emergencies
4) 3"x 3" gauze pads
2) 5"x 9" trauma pad
2) 4"x 4.1yd. stretch gauze
1) 2"x 5yd. cohesive flexible bandage
1) pair latex gloves
1) metal scissors
1) plastic forceps
1) pencil
1) 3 oz. bottle Certi-Dine PVP iodine
1) 4 oz. bottle eye-skin wash
2) insect swabs
2) 1 g. hydrocortisone cream
1) 1 oz. tube antibiotic cream
5) cotton swabs
2) antiseptic towelettes
1) powdered stypic
2) Green Soap towelettes
1) handiwipe
1) 2"x 5 yds. adhesive tape
1) 8"x10" resealable bag

Old 09-17-2003, 09:02 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Nice list!
Old 09-18-2003, 11:37 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

That is a great list...and just in time !

We are heading back to the 'scene of the crime' tomorrow. It really was a nice campground but unfortunately we didn't get to enjoy it too much due to worrying about the little sweetie. Bailey is going too...only this time on a much shorter leash.

I had her out in the AS earlier and she seemed to be very excited about being in it so maybe she isn't associating it with the trauma. I was afraid she wouldn't get near it again.

I have printed the list and am heading to the store so we can be prepared for any mishaps...although hopefully there won't be any!

Cyndi

PS - I love all of the dog pictures in the thread! I'm going to try to get a shot of Bailey and the AS this weekend so I'll have one to post.
Old 09-18-2003, 01:19 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

It's a good idea to call your vet and ask if there's anything to prepare for. Find out what's recommended for the area you will be traveling.

If you take meds like Benedryl find out how much and how often for your pet.

On out trip to Colorado last month, our vet recommended to protect our pup from heartworm along with the usual pesky varmints.
Old 09-18-2003, 02:33 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
GREAT LIST!!!!!

Thank you so much for taking the time to post the list of emergency items on the Airstream website. Do you mind if I FAX a copy to my vet? Maybe we should ALL do that!
Old 09-18-2003, 02:43 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

Flamingo,

You just go out and buy this stuff and keep it on hand in case of an emergency. No need to get approval or anything for buying it - unless you are a minor and need to get money from your folks.

Good luck!
Old 09-22-2003, 03:52 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member

Thumbs up

Thank you so much for the "Trauma Kit" list.

We have a small Papillion. We have never camped... so Lace has never camped. I never even thought about snakes etc. We just bought the A/S. Have to go to San Antonio to get it. Anyone know about problems in that area?

May be having some buyers remorse. A cousin told me that towing is terrible unles you have a 5th wheel. Now, I am worried about the dog...

Have 2 large boxes of "stuff" to put into the trailer. Lace has her own back pack ... put everything she might need in it will add a trauma kit.

What do you do to keep critters from crawling into the A/S?

Any advice appreciated. Carol
Old 09-22-2003, 04:07 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Clown:

Check your PM

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 04:21 PM   #38
1 Rivet Member

Sorry! What is a PM?

Carol:
Old 09-22-2003, 04:22 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
To anyone traveling in the SE, I highly recommend keeping your dog on heartworm preventative. The mosquitoes here are wicked and carry the parasites.

Clown...don't worry too much. We bought our first trailer with our dogs in mind. We wanted to be able to travel with them and it's way easier in an RV than staying in a motel.

Traveling with a dog in an RV is just like traveling with a dog in a car. We carry standard first aid supplies for us that can be used on the dog if necessary. I didn't see much on the list above that we don't already carry.

The only thing I carry special for the dog is liquid children's Benadryl and a needle-less syringe for measuring and administering the drug. I've only needed the Benadryl for insect bites so far.

The one other thing I do is look for a vet's office anytime we go somewhere. It seems to me that already knowing where the vet's office is located would be good in an emergency.
Old 09-22-2003, 04:24 PM   #40
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Sorry! What is a PM?
It's a Private Message. You can access your private messages by clicking on the "user cp" button at the top of the page.
Old 09-22-2003, 04:25 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
San Antonio & Towing

Airstreams tow BEAUTIFULLY. Your cousin probably hasn't towed one. We have friends who were know-it-alls about towing.. they have a 5th wheel Jayco. (pfffft compared to our Airstream) They did change their tune after they've followed us a few times. They were amazed. We tow with a Tundra. Sometimes we don't even know she's back there and she's a 28 footer! We live in Rockford, IL... give a holler on your way down OR back, Ok?

I am a misplaced Texan and I can tell you that there are a LOT more critters down there than there are up here. I can also tell you that not ONE of them wants YOU or your dog! Probably the BEST thing you could put in the camper to keep critters out is the dog! They haven't had a frost yet so there will be more insects.

The main thing you want to remember is to keep her straight and level. We do NOT use sway bars, and we took the levellers we bought at WalMart BACK to WalMart because she always parks level. She's BEAUTIFUl! We are relatively new to Airstreamiing but have learned a LOT this summer. Get in touch, Ok?

What did you buy?
Email me if you get a chance.

RaChelle
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	holmberg airstream-02.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	3186  
Old 09-22-2003, 06:46 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
Quote:
May be having some buyers remorse. A cousin told me that towing is terrible unles you have a 5th wheel. Now, I am worried about the dog... What do you do to keep critters from crawling into the A/S?
Hi Clown,
we're new to the towing game also and trust us if you have the right tow vehicle, brake controller and a reese dual cam it will be a breeze!! We had no problems at all. The only difficullty is backing up of course, that will take lots of practice. Until then we solved the problem by taking another forum's member great advice: we bought a pair of walkie talkies and every time we need to back up we do it TOGETHER, one driver one spotter. It's important that the driver does exactly what the spotter tells him to because he's positioned where you want the AS to go and by squatting he can see all the wheels and direct you perfectly. By using this method (I'm usually the driver, my husband the spotter/Cmdr.) we've parked in really tight spots in less than 20 min! Not bad for newbies with 50' behind them!
Quote:
Now, I am worried about the dog... What do you do to keep critters from crawling into the A/S?
I was very worried of this myself. The solution came from an experienced AS owner at an AS park. Get on your back underneath the AS and fill any little hole/space with COPPER mesh (not steel because it will rust).
Spray the mesh with bug spray (raid garden works fine), you'll have to repeat the spraying every 3-6 months. As for inside there are bug screens everywhere, just be careful in not letting the door open too long. Also, I like to keep an insect coil burning outside the unit close to the door that discourages most insects from even getting close and being outside it does not bother our dogs inside.

Last but not least...always have a first aid kit in your car or AS, the liquid benadryl is a great addition to any standard kit. I always carry a burn creme and a few other items but ...I volunteer in EMS and have specific training to use them.

Just a suggestion for everyone:
You may want to visit your local ambulance corps., red cross unit or contact the AHA (american heart assoc.) and take a CPR class. It's a short class, usually free of charge and works just as well on our pets as it does for us. You never know when a few hours of simple training will/can make the difference between life & death for a loved one (with or w/out a tail) or a stranger. It's easy and made for everyone and you can take it as many times as you wish. No legal obbligation once you have it and you're always protected by the good sammaritan law.