Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2006, 05:17 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Love your Siamese!

They are the best cats... high activity and borderline psycho... but intelligent and affectionate, Definitely! They need to get lots of exercise and entertainment to keep out of trouble. When I had my Siamese, a friend who owned a tree service would periodically find me a cat tree - literally. He'd bring over a 5 ft section of log with 3 or four branches on it. I'd screw a foot onto it and let the cat go wild. He'd claw most of the bark off in a couple of weeks and slowly turn a 5 or 6 inch trunk into toothpicks. Of course when I came home he'd normally be sprawled on a notch between branches, with claws hanging down just waiting for a real or imaginary critter to hunt. I'd always get that distinctive Siamese Chirr-rr-rrp greeting, followed by the deep contralto Row-er-row-row-row! That cat could purr louder than any other I've ever owned.

Yours appear to be "Applehead" siamese - or the older more rounded heads as opposed to the very long narrow head with bat ears that breeders have developed as "desireable". Like the "piggy Persians" with the absolutely flat faces which have tear ducts and sinuses that can't drain properly, the extreme Siamese tends to look crosseyed and has so little nose break (the nose is a straight line coming down from the forehead rather than having any indentation at eye level), that they tend to have vision problems.

The Applehead is what Siamese looked like 30-50 years ago - and is a much healthier and robust cat. Did you know that they will often learn to play fetch with you? Crumble up waxed paper or aluminum foil into a ping-pong sized ball, and toss it to them... they will play hockey with it, then carry it back in the mouth and drop it at your feet.. or even in your hand after a bit of practice. They also love the smell of tobacco, so the celophane wrapper from a pack of cigarettes makes a great ball too.

Cats CAN be trained, but they will never be as obedient as dogs. I've always been able to train them to sit up and beg for cat treats, and I had one who would rub MY chin, just by saying the word "Chin"... he was a red tip Siamese named Jean-Luc, who lived to be 17. He also could break out of the house by opening the attic door, jumping down from the attic to a large tree, and then going for a tour of the neighborhood. I thought I'd lost him several times only to have him come back sometimes days later. He actually turned doorknobs to open doors... not an easy trick especially as we had round crystal knobs, not the European style long handles.

Jeepers, I wonder if I could keep just one cat? Wah! I miss them.

Jasmine, aka "Spazzman" our office cat is finally taming down a bit. She likes to have her head rubbed, but if you touch her back she comes out fighting.. and she has a nasty habit of biting. As she gets older the biting is diminishing, but she'll never be a lovey cat.

Paula Ford
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 04:14 PM   #42
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Can you see the kitties hidden in this picture?

This thread is so much fun...hubby is allergic so no kitties here for us. Lovely stories and photos all!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	27623  
Old 10-28-2006, 06:58 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Now I remember how we ended up with 4 cats....

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 10-30-2006, 08:14 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Wow - what a fun thread.

First of all, I really enjoyed the pictures.

To the applehead lovers - I also feel that Siamese breeders have ruined the breed with these skinny pointed headed bats that they breed. We've had 3 appleheads (2 seals and a blue) over the years. They've all moved on and we have a Tonkinese and 2 Burmese. Sam, the Tonkinese is a classic blue mink - he's a real sweetie but also a real handfull. He's more monkey than cat and at 15, he's still moving pretty fast.

The other two, Philip and Gus are Burms. Philip is a champagne and Gus is a traditional sable. Theyre both pretty demanding too.

As for the litter... all three are indoor only and use one box. It gets scooped once a day and emptied once a week. No problems.

We almost became a 4 cat household again yesterday. We were at a cat show and I grew very attached to a lilac mink Tonk kitten. I had neither the enough cash or my checkbook with me so he stayed with the breeder. I guess that's best since 4 cats on the road is a Stream is a bit too much.

In closing - here's one of my favorite cat quotes...
"No heaven will heaven ever be, unless my cats are there to welcome me"
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 09:14 AM   #45

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Well, I was concerned about getting them before they were properly weaned, but the owner insisted they were ready to go at 8 weeks. Perhaps we should have waited longer. I don't know if they are getting better about the suckling, or if I am getting better at ignoring it. I hope this doesn't mean they're going to be sucking on the blankets forever! Maybe it's like thumb-sucking, and they'll out grow it!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 09:16 PM   #46

1968 17' Caravel
Mighty in the trash can
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1855.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	27849  

Old 11-05-2006, 02:14 PM   #47

1968 17' Caravel
Mouse lounging on the couch...

Old 11-05-2006, 02:38 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I too have had a cat that would suck on her foot. Makes you crazy. I thought it might have been because she was taken from her mother too early; however, my two new Siamese kittens were hand raised from about threes weeks of age on an eye dropper and Kitten Milk Replacer and don't have that problem. Perhaps there are just cats with emotional problems.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 03:05 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
New kitten pictures. As you can see, I never actually get to do anything without HELP
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0011.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	28177   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0012.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	28178  

Name:	IMG_0010.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	28179  
Old 11-05-2006, 03:25 PM   #50
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Found this guy in an abandoned car, in the back floor board, under a hub cap.
He was so small could fit in my shirt pocket for weeks.
Hand feed him almost all his life.
He never learned how to give himself a bath.
Would be all sticky each time he ate.
Grew out of pocket and started to ride on my sholder.
Traveling was expected, and dashboard was all his.

Hub Cat @ 17lbs
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 03:34 PM   #51

1968 17' Caravel
Hub Cat has a great story!

Juel, I love the pic of the kitten on the printer

Old 11-05-2006, 05:30 PM   #52
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Meet Teddy...
Don't let the look decive,
He is very sweet, even during a flea bath.
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 08:16 PM   #53
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iowa City , Iowa
Ahhh...you have some very Maine Coon there!

We got one of these hoping for a big powerhouse cat. Nip is actually Icabod Crane...just never puts on bulk, but is an imp! He has learned to slam a door when he wants food, rides on my husband's shoulder (what did happen to that parrot??) and knocks things off our bookcse headboard when he wants breakfast. Yes, he's a pill, but we adore him.

BTW, thanks for that info re the LEDs. I had been looking for a boondocking replacement for the spots in the living room.

Auretrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 05:39 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Kennesaw , Georgia
Burmese Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandrod
To the applehead lovers - I also feel that Siamese breeders have ruined the breed with these skinny pointed headed bats that they breed. We've had 3 appleheads (2 seals and a blue) over the years. They've all moved on and we have a Tonkinese and 2 Burmese.
We just purchased a 16' Bambi QuickSilver and I have an 8 yearr old Burmese Claud) who has never traveled. I am hoping that he will adjust so that he can travel with us. Do yor or anyone else have suggestions on how to make this a successful venture?

2006 Bambi Quicksilver
T/V 2007 Yukon Denali
raptorron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 07:35 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
This one is for the Appleheaded Siamese lovers. This is my older Siamese, rescued from a pet shop.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0002.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	28827   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	28828  

Old 11-20-2006, 07:13 AM   #56
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
new kitty coming tomorrow

A 4 month old foster kitty---we pick him up from vet tomorrow after his neuter surgery and then he goes for his first MoHo trip over thanksgiving. We are also looking for suggestions. Can kitties take rescue remedy? We have 2 bassets that are MoHo vets but will probably have Mickey ride in a big soft side dog crate for his first outing. Are your cats leash trained? And in the Moho where do you keep the litter box?
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 01:58 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Kitties are growing up. The larger male has to have V8 juice in the mornings with me. They steal things left out and drag them under the bed. I won't go into all the things I've left around the house that have now disappeared. They are still a joy. You can't have too many cats to love.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0031.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	30479   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0032.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	30480  

Name:	IMG_0033.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	30481  
Old 01-06-2007, 02:24 PM   #58
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Cute kitties; they are always better in pairs. A warning about the V8 juice: dont' let them drink it!!! Tomotoes are poisionous to cats! I'd hate to see anything happen to those guys.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:54 PM   #59

1968 17' Caravel
Mine are getting all grown up too. Just today they came home from the vet after getting fixed! I hated to do it to them, but I don't need more kittens They were sure glad to get home after spending a night at the vet. Now I just have to chase them around and keep them from jumping, climbing, or playing too rough - that's what the vet said anyway.

I was surprised to see the incision for the surgery was less than an inch long - incredibly small. The last pet I had spayed was Alki the Eskimo, and that was 12 years ago. Her incision was about 3 inches long!