Old 08-14-2006, 12:49 PM   #15
Rosie the Riveted

1975 27' Overlander
Balfour , BC
giving up pets

I once had to give up a dog, my golden retriever. We lived on an acreage in the Rockies and were moving to Toronto. Sandy was used to hiking, cross-country skiing, canoeing, in fact doing everything with us and our 3 kids. The thought of him penned up in a city-sized backyard with all of us gone all day was just too terrible. Fortunately we had friends with a similar family--small kids--and active, outdoor lifestyle who had just sadly lost their Akita. They were very happy to take Sandy and he made the transition very well. They had him for 8 or 9 years and gave us regular updates on his progress.

The only thing that saved me from being completely heartbroken about giving him up was that I knew the family who took him, had seen how well they treated their last dog, and was in touch with them all the time to hear how he was doing.

Now we have 2 black labs who go everywhere with us. The next litter of pups will be interesting in the trailer!! Although we did take all 8 of the first litter out on our boat with us and Mom & Dad, and all did well.

Old 08-16-2006, 10:45 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken & Janice
The only thing that saved me from being completely heartbroken about giving him up was that I knew the family who took him, had seen how well they treated their last dog, and was in touch with them all the time to hear how he was doing.
Great story...thanks for sharing. The previous owners of both my Goldens do check in periodically to see how they are doing so I know they really do care. Additionally, I email them photos and stories periodically.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 07:05 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Almost adopted a third!

I tried to adopt Rex, a bassett hound - golden retriever mix, but someone else adopted him before I sent in my request. I just fell in love with this guy from his photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rex standing.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	27182   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rex sitting.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	27183  

Old 10-19-2006, 08:29 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iowa City , Iowa
Wonderful!

I had a lifelong fear of dogs until I was 50 and realized there were so many friends/family with dogs I liked. A friend who is an AKC obedience trial judge was retiring her Bailey from the ring at 9 (UDX!) and we became her new family. SHe has been my shadow and joy these past 5 years. (She is now a registered therapy dog.) Her health is still very good except for cataracts, but 14 is getting up there. I know we will always have to have a dog in our home now. Thanks for the comments re rescue. There is a great group in MN that I have run across and will contact them when the day comes. For now we are a one-golden family. B is very much an alfa female and I don't see any point in messing up her world at this point.

Auretrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 11:55 AM   #19
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
We're suckers...

And our families know it. All our pets are recycled from our friends and family.
Cookie, our Peek-a-Poo, was my father's dog, and we took her when he could no longer take care of her. Baby, our recently deceased Flame-point Siamese, was Marie's mother's cat, and we took him in when, like my father, she became ill and could no longer care for him.
Daisy, our latest, is a Chiweenie (Daschund-Chihuahua mix), is from my sister-in-law, where she moved does not allow pets.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:03 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Moline , Illinois
We did it again also

It's a happy time around our house and Airstream again. We lost our beloved Chesapeake Bay retriever , Gina, in May so it has been a long summer. We had never taken a single trip in the trailer without her. Seems like any dog friendly place, is a great people spot. I'll never forget our stay at the KOA in Ouray, Colorado. They made sure we had an all grass spot by the creek so Gina would enjoy her stay.

Our new guy is "Vinny" a 7 week old Chesapeake who is from Cursan Kennel in Neshkoro, Wisconsin. He loved the 4 1/2 hour ride home. I can hardly wait to get him on the road with the Airstream where he will be the chief greeter and tour guide.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:12 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Great topic

It's interesting to read about all of the dogs and their lives, as well as the A/S connection. Some great stories here, dogs saved from an otherwise sad situation.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:43 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63air
It's a happy time around our house and Airstream again. We lost our beloved Chesapeake Bay retriever , Gina, in May so it has been a long summer. We had never taken a single trip in the trailer without her. Seems like any dog friendly place, is a great people spot. I'll never forget our stay at the KOA in Ouray, Colorado. They made sure we had an all grass spot by the creek so Gina would enjoy her stay.

Our new guy is "Vinny" a 7 week old Chesapeake who is from Cursan Kennel in Neshkoro, Wisconsin. He loved the 4 1/2 hour ride home. I can hardly wait to get him on the road with the Airstream where he will be the chief greeter and tour guide.
Sorry about your loss. That's the hardest part of owning a pet.

Can you post a photo of Vinny when you have a chance!?

Old 10-29-2006, 08:26 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1986 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Sounds good to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
I swear by rescue dogs as they are already house-broken
Should be reason enough sounds like to me!

Except I let myself be talked into rescuing a sick little miniature dachsund that was so ugly nobody wanted her. We haven't got all the "training" down yet. I may have to get tiny diapers.

Great companion for an old man.

Waynon

Love all your pictures.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:44 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
Quote:
I tried to adopt Rex, a bassett hound - golden retriever mix, but someone else adopted him before I sent in my request. I just fell in love with this guy from his photos.
Yuki,

Any more pets and you will need to purchase a bigger Airstream.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:09 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
I adopted another Golden Retriever this past month -- Chappy. I am just so pleased to have another wonderful addition to our family. And, as you can see from the photo below, he get's along well with Cody, our other Golden Retriever.
I'm filled with much sadness as I write this post to say we just had to put our beloved Chappy down tonight. He collapsed during his evening walk tonight and within minutes of arriving at the emergency vet, he went into cardiac arrest twice. The vet asked for permission to open his chest to further resusitate him and that is when she discovered the tumor on his heart. It was that tumor pressing against his heart which caused him to collapse. Additionally, both his lungs were completely spotted with cancer too. She diagnosed it as a blood based carcinoma type cancer which had spread through out his body.

I'm still in shock that we lost a 5-year dog to cancer. Arghh.

Old 02-01-2007, 09:16 PM   #26
Certifiable

. , .
So sorry to hear about your loss.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:21 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
that is soo tough, we lost our 5 year wolfhound to cancer in 2003, the worst part was the breeder knew some of her hounds had an atypical cancer and did not notify the litter mates. Lots of hugs and kleenex, shared tears on this end!!
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:32 PM   #28
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Rainbow Bridge Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote