Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-28-2008, 12:02 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Talking OMG!! Getting 2nd dog - can't wait!!

Hi everyone,

Last summer we decided to get a dog - the kids were a good age, we go camping every weekend, etc...

So we started the research, and kind of set our sights on an Australian Shepherd. I didn't want to rush into anything, so I slowly but surely started checking out various breeders with the hope of finding a puppy.

Well, life doesn't always go according to plan and we ended up adopting a rescue lab mix (shepherd/golden?) puppy who had a very bad start to life.

So there we were. We now had a very lively Lab mix pup, no Australian Shepherd. Great.

Well, time moves on and our pup is a very big 8 month old girl now - tall and slim and around 65 lbs or so.

And I got to thinking - she needs a brother! I don't know about others and their higher-energy dogs who want to play and love everyone to bits (dogs, humans, cats, gophers, you name it) within a mile - but I think she'd thrive with another dog to be a buddy.

A short while later an email newsletter came through from one of the breeders - I had forgotten to opt out of the list. Well, they had a male red tri Australian Shepherd (which was our fav. color choice!) who had just turned a year old for sale. He was the pick of the litter when he was born in the hopes of joining her breeding program. But - he simply grew too big. She breeds mini Aussies (I think they're 14"-17" ?), and genetics being as it is sometimes, this guy grew to standard height (22") from two mini parents. So for that reason they decided to sell him.

It was pretty much love at first sight. He's a very handsome fellow, has all shots, is microchipped, loves other animals, great off leash, great recall, etc...... And the best part? No housetraining a puppy again!! Yippee!! I can understand many wanting a puppy - I mean - who can resist the cutest thing in the world?? But I like my sleep now.

Now for sure we'll be getting into agility soon. We go pick him up at the end of March after his final vaccinations and neutering and whatnot. His name is Gusto, but I think we're going to simply call him Gus.

Anyone else have an Aussie? Or experience in agility?

Oh the excitement!!

Cheers!

-Michelle
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	liam and lexi.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	55223   Click image for larger version

Name:	gus9.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	55224  

Name:	gusto10.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	55225   Click image for larger version

Name:	gusto3.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	55226  

Name:	gus2.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	55227   Click image for larger version

Name:	gus11.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	55228  

Mackhopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Sorry, I have no advice - Just wanted to say it's a great story. Lucky Dog.

Your reason is the same for why we found (actually he found us) and kept Boudreaux - a play buddy for Clancy Boy. Worked out perfect for the last 11 years, they are best friends and always together.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
What a great looking dog! I have no experience with anything other than labs, so I'm no help.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:27 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Sounds like you're going to be in for a fun ride! Be sure to introduce them properly, get them off on the right foot, and I'll bet they'll be buddies forever. That's a great age for them to finish growing up together. Congrats!

We're looking forward to doing agility with our new puppy, but we have a ways to go before we have to worry about that. Right now I'd just be happy with sleeping through the night!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 03:07 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
duncanville , Texas
Mac,
SO great for you and yours! We have had 8 Aussies over the years and have been blessed by their smarts, love and devotion. 2 right now ages 3 and 14. The older one is female and still goes like a young one. The younger one is our first male and I wish we had gotten males sooner. Socialize him as much as possible around children....they can be a bit nippy w/ the little ones.
IMO the agility and frisbee stuff puts quite a bit of stress on their joints and brings on greater related problems as they age. With that in mind, ours play ball, swim and love to go on walks. None of the big jumping stuff most of the time.
We are lucky to be able to bring them to work each day.

Best of luck !!

Bo
Bo Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 03:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
good luck with your new pup! You'll have great fun I agility.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Charlie
The younger one is our first male and I wish we had gotten males sooner.
Hi Bo,

Thanks for the info - you must be an Aussie expert by now. I'm curious about your comment on males -

This guy has been raised in a household with 4 kids, 1 cat and numerous other dogs. He apparently doesn't have any of the typical Aussie reserve, which is nice.

So now we wait a whole month for him - that's almost as bad as waiting for camping season to start, which is going to be a long time this season given all the snow we have, and more on the way...
Old 02-28-2008, 04:15 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I'm really not THAT illiterate as one might think from my last post. I'm learning to "type" on my new iPhone and I need to be more careful!

At any rate- enjoy your new pup. Agility is a great training experience and will really bond you and your dog.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:39 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Congrats on your new pup, Gus! He looks like a winner. I don't know much about agility, but I've seen one SAR K9 handler from Colorado working an Aussie at one of our seminars. He was a sharp dog, took direction well, and always found his subject. Good luck with your agility work.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam
I'm really not THAT illiterate as one might think from my last post. I'm learning to "type" on my new iPhone and I need to be more careful!
Lucky you!

Up here in Canada we're still waiting for the iPhone - not to mention having to pay one of the most expensive data rates in the world...
Old 02-28-2008, 08:15 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfrodge
Up here in Canada we're still waiting for the iPhone - not to mention having to pay one of the most expensive data rates in the world...
You got that right!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:53 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
duncanville , Texas
Mac,
We had 1 litter of pups in '05 for the sole purpose of getting some pups for family members. The mother was amazing and has since passed on. My family all took females and 2 neighbors took boys.
Both of the boys are still with us at almost 14. As is my female. The guys seem calmer and more loving. My new male, at 3, will give anyone he remotely knows a kiss, if wanted, as soon as they walk in the door. The female hangs back till she is sure she knows the person.

bo
Bo Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:57 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Volcano , California
There is no way I could imagine having only one Golden Retreiver the two of them play almost non-stop all day long.
Zugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 01:53 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Congrats on the new dog!
The only downside will be the constant high energy level - he will need exercise. (I would also recommend having him castrated so that he will socialize better and not be so worried about domination over other dogs - dog fights).
I have a Border Collie and if I don't spend a minimum amount of time playing with him everyday - he really starts pouting. It can drive you crazy sometimes.
You will do better since there is another dog for companionship.

This dog has changed my life and it's been all for the good - I enjoy spoiling him.
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:35 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy
Congrats on the new dog!
The only downside will be the constant high energy level - he will need exercise. (I would also recommend having him castrated so that he will socialize better and not be so worried about domination over other dogs - dog fights).
The poor little lad went into the vet this morning to have his procedure, so that's done.

I'm very much looking forward to getting this 2nd dog - our present dog is probably going to wet herself with joy at the prospect of having a full-time playmate.

I've also read that male Aussies tend to be a bit more easy-going or cuddly than the females, and based on the descriptions his first owner has given us, he's more of a laid-back dude than a frenzied busy bee.

It's all good stuff.

Cheers,

Michelle
Old 03-31-2008, 12:25 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Ottawa , Ontario
OK - picked up the newest member of our pack yesterday and so far (knock on wood) it's going great. His name is Gus.

He's *very* different as compared with my other dog Lexi - I guess Aussies tend to be reserved with strangers which is worlds away from my Lab/Shepherd mix dog (aka Bull in a China Shop).

We spent a good 6 hours in the car yesterday together so now I am his new mom, in a huge way. He sticks to me like glue, and will go to others (including the kids and my husband) when he's called but won't stay there for long - he'll quietly leave them to find me and meld his body to me. It's endearing of course - he's the cutest thing ever. A real cuddlebug.

I am so impressed with the way he moves - I'm not sure if all Aussies are like this but he's so silently agile it's scary. He jumped over me onto the bed (which is a very tall/high bed) with little to no effort and made no sound. Walking him is like having a fluff of cloud on the end of the leash, gliding in zigzag patterns in front of me down the street.

I haven't introduced the two dogs yet - that'll happen this evening on more neutral territory. I'm worried for the poor little soul - our other dog is bound to be so super enthusiastic in her efforts to say hi and play with the new guy that he may be shellshocked. Not to mention that I swooped in there and took him from his home that he'd known all his life (he's 1 year) - it's a huge adjustment period for him. I was joking to my sister that I was tempted to get one or both of them some Valium to take the edge off the meeting...! Or maybe I'll just mix a margarita for me to take the edge off the meeting - that sounds like more fun.

Only 3.5 weeks left before we take off for sunny Florida and leave all this bloody snow behind. Gus has moved up in life with Airstreams and Palm trees... I should have named him George Jefferson!
Old 03-31-2008, 12:52 PM   #17

1968 17' Caravel
He sounds like a real doll! Good luck with the introductions. It's taken a month for Alki, our older eskie, to get used to the idea that Barclay puppy is here to stay, but our dalmatian (who has that happy-go-lucky attitude anyway) took to having a new buddy right away! I don't know what we'd do without Chester wearing him out for us! They wrestle and play until they both collapse and take a nap

I hope your guys get along just as well!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4929.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	57347  

Old 03-31-2008, 02:43 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Aussies are the best

Your in for a treat with this new addition. I have one, three, five.....actually seven Aussies. Yep, seven......but I have plenty of room for 'em.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dog Pack in the snow.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	57356   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hay Field storm.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	57357  

Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:46 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Congrats. I had an Aussy for 13 years. She was the smartest dog we've ever had. Easy to train and always wanted to be in contact with one of us when sitting. She was a great watch/guard dog and great with kids. We have had several german shepherds over the years (I'm in my 50s) but none were as smart as our Aussy.

Enjoy,
Terry
Old 03-31-2008, 04:47 PM   #20

1968 17' Caravel
Ha ha! I love that picture of them in the field, but I only see six - number seven must be taking the picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch
Your in for a treat with this new addition. I have one, three, five.....actually seven Aussies. Yep, seven......but I have plenty of room for 'em.