Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-15-2008, 07:10 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breiz
Did you all know you were weird for having Airstreams?
Yes, and you've come to the right place!
Also, Karma to you for adopting a pup in need. We'll need you to post pictures now!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:10 AM   #42

Shreveport , Louisiana
Dogs and computer cables

True or not I have read that plastics that make up our remote controls, computer cables, etc. have a fish oil in them. While we can't smell it; you know who can.

BTW, agility is the greatest gift for your dogs, including the lab. It isn't the end result, i.e., running a fast clean run---it's the process. The bond that develops between human and dog as they learn agility together is amazing. They pick up on your body language, your eyes, slight moves of the hand, where shoulders point, where your toes are pointing. And, the whole time, they are smiling because it's you and s/he on the run against the world!

It is because of agility that two rescue dogs of mine grew into the most wonderful companions; one was inordinately reserved and shy--we suspected she was actually feral and the other had annoying dog fear aggression issues. I owe a debt of gratitude to the folks at jump city agility in Los Angeles(Jump City Agility), who welcomed EVERYone, not just the usual suspects (border collies, aussies, etc).

Kathryn
no longer in L.A., but now in LA
Maddogflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:11 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddogflies
True or not I have read that plastics that make up our remote controls, computer cables, etc. have a fish oil in them. While we can't smell it; you know who can.

BTW, agility is the greatest gift for your dogs, including the lab. It isn't the end result, i.e., running a fast clean run---it's the process. The bond that develops between human and dog as they learn agility together is amazing. They pick up on your body language, your eyes, slight moves of the hand, where shoulders point, where your toes are pointing. And, the whole time, they are smiling because it's you and s/he on the run against the world!

It is because of agility that two rescue dogs of mine grew into the most wonderful companions; one was inordinately reserved and shy--we suspected she was actually feral and the other had annoying dog fear aggression issues. I owe a debt of gratitude to the folks at jump city agility in Los Angeles(Jump City Agility), who welcomed EVERYone, not just the usual suspects (border collies, aussies, etc).

Kathryn
no longer in L.A., but now in LA
Thanks for the tips on agility Kathryn -

We've started with obedience classes run by a woman who breeds Aussies on the side, but her main thing is agility. I'm definitely signing up for the next beginner sessions - at first I was thinking of just for the Aussie, but most likely I'll rope my sister into coming along so the lab mix can be part of the fun as well.

I'm really hoping it will help with some issues - I've been seeing some fear/nervousness aggression in my new Aussie, especially when it comes to men coming towards him. He's an absolute star off-leash, and is definitely my dog. Double-sided velcro dog. He's great around kids for the most part - he silently trots all around them, sort of keeping them safe for lack of a better term. Always aware. But if a new person (especially a man) comes near him and looks him in the eye, he starts to growl and may snap. The Aussie trainer/agility woman knew how to handle him right away by not backing away and speaking to him in a regular voice and holding out a very yummy salmon treat. She kept feeding him treats and speaking calmly and he was fine after that with her.

All this to say is that I'm very concerned he's going to snap at someone. Hopefully agility - giving him a job, keeping him physically active - and patience will help solve this. It's to the point where I'm thinking of getting one of those "In Training" dog coats so that strangers will ignore him (he's fine if they don't look at him)...

He's very submissive to me - if I get stern with him, which isn't too often, he slinks down to the ground and shows his belly. Poor guy. I'm beginning to think of him more and more as a rescue rather than an adult dog from a breeder.

And then there's my lab mix who just loves *everyone* so darn much. She'd probably invite robbers inside the house and enthusiastically give them a tour, then offer them the computers and the TVs. Compared with the Aussie who loves only me, really likes the kids and is OK with my husband.

Dogs. As much work as kids in some respects. Life's not boring, that's for sure.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:22 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfrodge
. . . . Dogs. As much work as kids in some respects. Life's not boring, that's for sure.
YES, they ARE, and boring? NO!