Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-01-2013, 10:25 AM   #41
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
We have a lab. I left her tied up once in the Tetons. I figured it was better than being in the trailer. She doesn't bark and would sleep most of the day. We came back from a half day away to find her gone. Someone untied her. It was the Ranger. Left a note to pick her up at their office. They gave me a ticket for $75 saying she may attract bears. Please. The bears up there are well feed, and she would have barked at it and scared it off.

So now she has to stay in the trailer. or we leave her at home.
Jason, we live in bear and cougar country, and these animals do attack and kill pets left tied up on the deck, backyard, &c. It may not be hunger that motivates this so much as inter-species competition. Grizzlies wouldn't be scared off by a non-aggressive breed of dog. Wolves will kill coyotes if they can catch them, for example. I doubt that the rangers can distinguish between breeds, let alone individual dog personalities.

Happy to see some fellow outlaws here, though. We leave our mutt (shepherd cross) in the truck or Bambi with water available for up to two hours while hiking in National Park trails, where dogs aren't allowed; shopping excursions, and the like.

We plan a lot of our trips around US National Parks, where dog rules are a problem. Not so in National Recreation Areas, Preserves, many state parks, National Forests, or BLM land, thankfully. Dogs are also allowed on trails on-leash in most Canadian national and provincial parks.

The worst abuse I ever saw, however, was once while winter camping near the Tetons, a man tied up his small short-haired dog outside his trailer, while he apparently took off for a day of skiing. The poor thing was shivering in the extreme cold, and its water dish was freezing. Thankfully the owner returned in time to save its life.

Thoughtless people like him make it hard for responsible pet owners.

Not to mention the ones who let their dogs sit on their laps while driving, be loose in the back end of a pick-up while driving at high speeds (we once saw a dog bounce out and hit the road) or roam loose, &c.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #42
Len and Jeanne

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Trolling for Mountain Lions | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

This postcard is popular in the West.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:05 PM   #43
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
I just returned from Cherry Hill Campground in Cherry Hill, MD. They have a dog walker that will come and spend some time with your pet to play and walk while you are gone for longer periods of time. She was not affiliated with the park, but it was a very nice service.
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:39 PM   #44
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
If you can't take your dog with you, just call it a Service/Therapy/Emotional Support animal in training. Buy the vest and you can go anywhere. Even take it to church with you.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:11 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
If you can't take your dog with you, just call it a Service/Therapy/Emotional Support animal in training. Buy the vest and you can go anywhere. Even take it to church with you.
That's a bit like using a disabled tag for your car when you don't have a legitimate disability.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:18 PM   #46
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
That's a bit like using a disabled tag for your car when you don't have a legitimate disability.
Not really. Never seen anyone get a ticket for having an illegally parked Therapy dog.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:20 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
and legally, nobody has to allow training dogs in. Also, you are just asking to make it harder for the volunteers that do train these animals.

Plus, this idea will just get you bad karma.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:23 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post

Yeah somebody's karma is likely to run over your dogma
Old 04-01-2013, 02:28 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by kposey View Post
I just returned from Cherry Hill Campground in Cherry Hill, MD. They have a dog walker that will come and spend some time with your pet to play and walk while you are gone for longer periods of time. She was not affiliated with the park, but it was a very nice service.
I think this is a great service!

Might be a really good part time thing for those who need to work some while on the road.

Maggie
Old 04-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #50
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
and legally, nobody has to allow training dogs in. Also, you are just asking to make it harder for the volunteers that do train these animals.

That's the rub. Legally they don't have to let a training dog in. But when have you ever seen one refused entry?

In a day when it seems that every other person with a pet now has a "Therapy dog", and you can buy the vests on-line without proof, I think the situation is already out of hand. It will get harder for the volunteers to do their job.

And I really think a lot of the volunteers would be better off cooking meals for the homeless or being a Big Brother/Big Sister.

Karma for y'all.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:00 AM   #51
Len and Jeanne

2015 19' Flying Cloud
We spent a few days in Zion NP last month, and noticed a doggy day-care kennel in Rockville, very close to the park. This does seem like a good business venture for "hot spots" (speaking climatically and touristically.) Plus Zion does have one dog-friendly trail.

We heard a statistic that Americans now have more dogs than children.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:09 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
We spent a few days in Zion NP last month, and noticed a doggy day-care kennel in Rockville, very close to the park. This does seem like a good business venture for "hot spots" (speaking climatically and touristically.) Plus Zion does have one dog-friendly trail.

We heard a statistic that Americans now have more dogs than children.

I have 2 dogs and one Kid, wouldn't mind having another dog.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #53
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
The reason you are asked not to "curb" your dog at your site is for the benefit of the family with small kids who might occupy and play in that same grass a few hours after you leave.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
From the perspective of a non-dog owner, barking dogs are annoying to many people. A quiet well behaved dog does not bother me. I have been to parks and it was non-stop barking. Some of us are more sensitive to noise than others. Barking dogs, car stereos, and Harleys are at the top of my list.

The last time we camped here in Alabama there was a trailer across the road from us and they had what sounded like about half a dozen yap yap dogs in the trailer with them and they barked 24/7 especially when another dog was nearby. It was loud even when they were in the trailer. I did not enjoy our outdoor time there. Occasional barking does not bother me but when it goes on for several minutes or hours it gets really old. Dogs that bark every time they see another dog are a pain or ones that bark at everything that moves. Please leave these dogs at home.

I have also found that dogs left unattended bark a lot more when their owners are gone, sometimes non-stop. The owners reply is my dog never barks. Personally, the hair stands up on the back of my neck when something barks at me. Sorta like me coming up to you and yelling at you.

There are lots of responsible dog owners out there but it only takes one to ruin someone else’s camping trip. We just got back from Florida and we had very few problems with dogs barking. However, here in Alabama we seem to have nothing but problems.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:10 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Regarding the aforementioned airline furry friend program...Wonder if they'll let me bring my 165 lb. Newfoundland?
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:39 PM   #56
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
1984 31' Excella
Springfield , Missouri
We travel with my wife's dog, a miniature schnauzer. In the Suburban, he is in a crate. When we stop, usually at rest areas, he is on a leash and the walker carrys a plastic walmart bag-- appropriate for the business.
At the campground, the crate comes inside the trailer, just to the right of the door. Toby has free run of the trailer when we are in it.
If we go out, Toby goes in the crate with a shock collar.

If we go somewhere and take Toby, we usually leave him in the car with the A/C running in the summer. I carry an extra key.

Before we crated him and I started carrying an extra key, he looked the doors once. That only happened once. LOL.

I was knocked down once by the neighbor's daughter's big dog, oh he's just being friendly she said. A little too friendly for me.
Jim Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:20 AM   #57
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
All dogs are "therapy dogs".....the problem is, some owners don't follow the therapy.
Very impressive pack leader. [VIDEO]

Bob
Old 04-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
Just spent several days at Zion NP - the dog friendly trail is good. Now staying at Mather CG at Grand Canyon NP - the dog trail here along the rim is well worth the trip. Many times longer than the one at Zion. GC is more dog friendly than Zion, for sure. Jaki loves it here!

WBCCI: 2197; AIR #: 36503; TAC #: NM-5

MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote