Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2009, 10:01 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Temple Terrace , Florida
Newbie no purchase YET, @ Labs 65lbs.

OK looking for an A/S and a TV to match. I have two female Labradors (very well trained) and a wife(working on training) .

I think I need an SUV TV for the dogs, and currently have a 2003 Expedition 5.4L.

I like the idea of two twins for beds, we are big 6'2" 235lbs, and 5'10" 140lbs, shhhh!

We are young(39&42) and retired and love golf as well. Where can you stow golf clubs in an A/S?

I will be buying new unless I find a real steal.

So with Dogs in mind first and Golf in mind second how about some A/S and SUV TV ideas.

BTW, thanks in advance.
Jdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:25 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
Well, the first is easy...the golf clubs go on her bed!

Welcome to the forums. You can try Ebay and Craigslist for AS listings. There are some real deals. You might find someone here thats close to one your interested in to go take a look for you.

Your Expedition should tow fine unless your just looking for a change in a TV.

Happy hunting!

Al
Alwhisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:59 PM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
We have been pretty happy with our van as a tow vehicle, the downside being that it rides like a truck. But when it comes to hauling dogs and stuff, it's the king!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Our 09 Tundra would maybe be a good choice. We recently lost our little one, but she was really little, about 10 pounds, so she would fit anywhere.
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:28 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Temple Terrace , Florida
TV is getting up there in age, kinda got my eye on the Touraeg 2 and a 25' FC, International, Classic.

Still haven't kicked the tires yet, was waiting on some info on here so I know what to look for. Keep it coming.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdaniel View Post
OK looking for an A/S and a TV to match. I have two female Labradors (very well trained) and a wife(working on training) .

I think I need an SUV TV for the dogs, and currently have a 2003 Expedition 5.4L.

I like the idea of two twins for beds, we are big 6'2" 235lbs, and 5'10" 140lbs, shhhh!

We are young(39&42) and retired and love golf as well. Where can you stow golf clubs in an A/S?

I will be buying new unless I find a real steal.

So with Dogs in mind first and Golf in mind second how about some A/S and SUV TV ideas.

BTW, thanks in advance.
Hi, my personal opinion would be that you should consider a 25' or smaller trailer for your present tow vehicle. [late model sizes, not vintage] Also, beware of really good asking prices on Airstreams; There are many scams out there. Don't buy any used trailer unless you can actually touch it. "Retired and love golf", but really 59 & 62 years old, right?
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I'd suggest deciding on the Airstream floor plan and size that fits your needs best, then finding a good tow vehicle for the Airstream...especially since you are planning to get a different vehicle...don't know the Touareg's towing numbers/ability. Hopefully you will keep the Aristream longer than a given tow vehicle...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:52 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Temple Terrace , Florida
Really looking for ideas from people with 2 dogs and 2 adults. A/S and TV ideas. I was thinking Touareg and 25' A/S with twin beds.

What are the differences in the Classic/International/Flying Cloud?

Thanks again.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:54 PM   #9
Iwannagocamping

1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
Well, we bought ours based on two dogs and two adults. Golden retrievers, one 97lbs and one 68lbs, so we are about even, we are a little smaller, but our dogs are a little bigger We tow with a Expedition, while we have not really towed near as far as many on here, the big ex did fine across 4 states and 750 miles first time out.

There are more opinions on here about the TV/Trailer size choice then you can possibly sort through.. but lots of info to help you make your choice. Lots of people tow with TV's that lots of OTHER people think are complete death traps, and yet never have an incident, and people out there doing everything "right" with 1 ton or larger rigs and expensive hitches, still end up on their roofs. We tow a lighter "vintage" 'stream, and like I said our Ex seems to do fine.

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy your retirement.. I did it at 37.. been ok the last 13 years.

Just the photos.. (sometimes you don't need the blog, just a picture worth a thousand words..)

1979 Sovereign International
2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2 Golden Retrievers

Air #36788
TAC#3179
WBCCI #1265
Dakota's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:24 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Welcome to the forum! My wife an I are about your size and we had 2 100lb labs that went everywhere with us (lost one to old age last year). Our 4 year old, Moose, has enough energy for 2 though. Our preferred TV of choice is a pick up truck with a camper shell on it.

The dogs ride in the back of the truck when we travel and they have their own dog beds back there. I don't have to worry about the gobs of hair that labs are known for shedding. If it gets bad, I just pull out the rubber mat and hose everything down, incuding the dog (and he loves it).

I can also carry extra camping stuff in the back, such as generator, grill, firewood, folding bikes, easy-up, waste water tote and so on. Since my TV is a crew cab, I also have all the room in the back seat for either people or yep...more stuff. I have racks mounted on top of the camper shell that we carry kayaks on too.

This set up has worked very well for us for the past 3 years we have had the Airstream. The Airstream has a queen bed and it is big enough for both of us. Moose gets to come up on the bed too, but it gets crowded with him there. We have a slide out on our trailer and the little bit of extra room makes a big difference with dogs. To bad they don't make AS's with slideouts anymore.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:51 PM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
4 A's & 2 D's

Our 25 works great for us.....

We love our Burb as a TV.....

FWIW QC would prevent me from buying new again....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PISECO LAKE CAMPING JULY 2008 165.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	389.9 KB
ID:	86471  
Old 09-01-2009, 05:17 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
It's hard to beat a "Burb or a pickup or van as a tow vehicle. Our loading regime goes like this: a) open up back of truck, b) shovel in stuff until I'm too tired to shovel in more; c) close up back of truck, d) drive away.

'course its a 3/4 ton diesel, but I've never worried about what I wanted to take ... except for the motorcycle, and I guess I could work that out if I were really motivated ...
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:20 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
25'FB with a 2000-2003 Ford Excursion with the 7.3L Powerstroke diesel.
Airstream01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:26 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' SS International
Pasadena , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdaniel View Post
What are the differences in the Classic/International/Flying Cloud?
the interior design (colors etc...) i personaly love the international.

i second the notion to FIND the trailer you love, then worry about the TV, not the other way around...
flmgrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:37 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Temple Terrace , Florida
Trying to kill 2 birds at a time (A/S & TV). I'm the kind of guy that buys things once. So I intend to "do it right the first time".

I guess that is the perfectionist in me coming through. Looking for the smallest A/S the four of us can enjoy ourselves in, and a TV that I will never say "I wish I would have?". I hope all this makes sense.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:49 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Gotcha, my 4 runner was my forever car (even bought the livetime oil changes, did get my moneys worth). But after our "sway" trip we traded up to the Tundra and the haha. Over kill we know but we feel much safer now.
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 06:50 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
POMPANO BEACH , FL
I'm looking for the same, and am considering the Flying Cloud 23 or 25 foot Front Bed (FB). The reason is the walk around bed. I'm even considering twin beds, since the 2 twins are slightly larger than the 1 queen bed. We are used to a king at home, and we both need our space. I also like the fact that the bedroom can be shut away...I didn't feel that the Sports had the same ability to close off the bedroom. I'm wanting to possibly be able to have friends join us camping and the 23 - 25 foot allows the extra space. The other thing I like about this model is the panoramic window. It seems very light on the inside. Since I'm in Florida, I don't have to worry as much about heating the A/S, so the more windows the better.

I was going to definitely go with the 25 FB, but started looking at tow vehicles, and since I do not want a truck or Van, that only left the VW Touareg or the Nisson Armada as possible vehicles I would want...With the Touareg, it appears to be cutting it close for the 25'...so that is where I am stuck. I like the Touareg better. The Nisson seems ginormous...I'm going to use the tv as my primary vehicle and don't want to drive a small school bus...

Hope this helps!
Tropicgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 07:41 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Verily I say unto thee...

OK I fulltime IN a Safari (now Flying Cloud) 25 FB SE.

Next time I'll get twins.
Next time I'll get a 27 FB International.
But not until (a) the economy improves AND (b) I've got all cash.
As a single woman, I'd likely morph that second twin into a sewing table/ computer workstation/workbench... but I'd make sure it could convert back to a bed if needed.

OK, walkaround queen - in a 25 it's barely a walk around queen. The side of the bed that faces the front of the unit has about 4 inches of "walk around" space at the floor. You can balance there precariously while making the bed. You can store shoes there. You can lose your glasses there. Otherwise USELESS.

There is a LOT more closet space and pantry space in the 27'... It also has a lobster bowl sink in the Safari and International levels - one BIG DEEP sink that you can get a skillet into handle and all! Deep enough that you don't splatter everywhere when doing dishes. Draining them? Wipe them off and put them away, slacker!

The 27 FB has a true walk around queen if you want a queen.... That means either person can get out and take a midnight tinkle without disturbing the other.

The other bad thing about the 25 Queen - is getting to all of the stuff you store under it. (It's doable, but you access it from ONE side and the foot of the bed. The 27 queen would be better. Twins at either length, better still.

Differences between trim levels

Flying Cloud (Formerly Safari) - mouse fur on the interior walls, small windows that don't open fully - cheapest laminates and particle board interiors.

Flying Cloud SE (nee Safari SE{special edition}) - bare aluminum interior walls, big windows that open fully - cheapest laminates and particle board interiors.

International (aka CCD) - bare aluminum interior walls, big windows heavier laminates on interiors - very modern looking interior.
International Ocean Breeze - beachy model with modern "tiki bar" interior and full awning package. I like it, but don't know if I'd like to live with it for years and years.

Classic (nee Excella in the 90's) - new ones have large windows, vinyl on the interior walls, hickory cabinetry and deeper contoured cushions - Pleather upholstery is common. Corian counters and sinks. Bronze faucets (blech). Windows are heavily curtained with valence boxes.

You've got Bates RV right there in Florida - make it a day trip to see the various models IN PERSON.

Colonial Airstream has the best website www.colonialairstream.com - and a huge inventory. Do some preliminary ogling there. You can select one length and floor plan, then look at it in all of the different trim levels.

Paula
Old 09-05-2009, 09:52 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
POMPANO BEACH , FL
Okay, I started out wanting a 19', then the 20' looked better...then I thought, why not go for the 23'? But then comparing models, I figured I had to have the dinette at the front window, which meant the 25' in the FB models, where the bedroom is separate. Now you are telling me that I need to go to the 27'? AAARRRGGHHHHH
Tropicgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:00 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Where's the Beef? I mean particle board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Flying Cloud (Formerly Safari) - mouse fur on the interior walls, small windows that don't open fully - cheapest laminates and particle board interiors.

Flying Cloud SE (nee Safari SE{special edition}) - bare aluminum interior walls, big windows that open fully - cheapest laminates and particle board interiors.

Paula
Hi, we like the little windows for several reasons and because my wife is also little she has no problem getting all around our queen bed. I do like the queen set-up in the 27'er better, but we aren't changing now. Now my real question is, for my personal information and not arguement. I keep hearing about particle board interiors. I have cut, drilled, modified, removed, and explored vertually every part of my trailer and have not found one single piece of particle board anywhere in my trailer. I have found 1/2" - 5/8" - and 3/4" plywood in my trailer. Behind the bathroom cabinet and under my kitchen sink has a very small piece of masonite; I don't consider that as particle board. So, I guess now, what I'm asking is did Airstream start making cabinets out of particle board after 2005 or after my unit was made? [mine was actually made in 2004]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote