Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-05-2009, 10:02 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Just jokeing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropicgal View Post
Okay, I started out wanting a 19', then the 20' looked better...then I thought, why not go for the 23'? But then comparing models, I figured I had to have the dinette at the front window, which meant the 25' in the FB models, where the bedroom is separate. Now you are telling me that I need to go to the 27'? AAARRRGGHHHHH
Hi, just buy a 34'er and a Kenworth and be done with it.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:25 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Medium density fiberboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, we like the little windows for several reasons and because my wife is also little she has no problem getting all around our queen bed. I do like the queen set-up in the 27'er better, but we aren't changing now. Now my real question is, for my personal information and not arguement. I keep hearing about particle board interiors. I have cut, drilled, modified, removed, and explored vertually every part of my trailer and have not found one single piece of particle board anywhere in my trailer. I have found 1/2" - 5/8" - and 3/4" plywood in my trailer. Behind the bathroom cabinet and under my kitchen sink has a very small piece of masonite; I don't consider that as particle board. So, I guess now, what I'm asking is did Airstream start making cabinets out of particle board after 2005 or after my unit was made? [mine was actually made in 2004]
OK, I misspoke, it's MDF - medium density fiberboard. I have the 2006 and it's everywhere. The closet doors, the flat under-seat cabinet doors, etc. Even the exterior of the bedframe is MDF. The interior dividers appear to be poplar. MDF doesn't hold screws as well as plywood, and I've had to retighten about half of the hinges and doorlocks. Elmers glue and a toothpick work wonders.

The curved cabinet fronts for the overhead cabinets aren't even THAT, they are styrofoam - or something similar. They have a hard skin, but underneath they are foam. I took off an end panel in the bedroom to install an "auxiliary cloths rod" and the cut edge that fits into the segment's curve is pure foam! The panels were held on by something that looked like a straight staple - I ended up reattaching the one I removed with velcro. No WAY I wanted to try to drill into that!

Paula
Old 09-05-2009, 10:36 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Okay, I started out wanting a 19', then the 20' looked better...then I thought, why not go for the 23'? But then comparing models, I figured I had to have the dinette at the front window, which meant the 25' in the FB models, where the bedroom is separate. Now you are telling me that I need to go to the 27'? AAARRRGGHHHHH
My first was a 22, 18 months later the 25... now I'm looking at the 27... but then I fulltime. You'll save money if you buy the 27 the first time out, but the 25 with twins is nice too. And the end dinette is in the back with the FB which stands for front bedroom. You have a lot more foot and leg room in a front or rear dinette than one that's on the side over a wheel well.

Paula
Old 09-05-2009, 11:38 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
OK, I misspoke, it's MDF - medium density fiberboard. I have the 2006 and it's everywhere. The closet doors, the flat under-seat cabinet doors, etc. Even the exterior of the bedframe is MDF. The interior dividers appear to be poplar. MDF doesn't hold screws as well as plywood, and I've had to retighten about half of the hinges and doorlocks. Elmers glue and a toothpick work wonders.

The curved cabinet fronts for the overhead cabinets aren't even THAT, they are styrofoam - or something similar. They have a hard skin, but underneath they are foam. I took off an end panel in the bedroom to install an "auxiliary cloths rod" and the cut edge that fits into the segment's curve is pure foam! The panels were held on by something that looked like a straight staple - I ended up reattaching the one I removed with velcro. No WAY I wanted to try to drill into that!
Paula

Hi, to me MDF is just another name or form of fiber board, so I wouldn't say you misspoke. My bed frame is also all plywood except for the poplar supports. My overhead cabinet doors are, like yours made from some sort of foam, not styrofoam though. I also won't try to drill into those; My wife thought maybe I could put handles on them, but I explained to her they won't hold and you would not be able to tighten the handles down either. This would just crush the foam. So I'm going to say from your statement, and I know you know what you are talking about, that sometime after my trailer was built MDF or particle board was used instead of plywood. Should this fact be added to the quality thread?
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 06:35 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, just buy a 34'er and a Kenworth and be done with it.
I started out looking for a pop up trailer.

The 34' just looked so good I had to buy it.
redstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 02:48 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Temple Terrace , Florida
Went for our first look IN PERSON today and they had a 27' International w/twins. It was a quick and easy step up for us. The outside storage was key on the 27', golfclubs fit fine behind the gas tanks in the front storage, nice feature for us. It was "Paprika" color CCD and was really our style. It was wife approved, quickly. The Labradors have yet to give it the once over, but the space looks good combined with the Expo. Looks to be a turnkey deal for us. Just add hitch, brake controller, and maybe a generator.

The 27' just gave that tiny bit more room everywhere; galley, foot of the beds, and such. . It one of those things that you just can't get back latter.
Jdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 06:05 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Temple Terrace , Florida
I mean the color was "Cilantro", sorry. And also later.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:55 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
OOOOh...

And if you decide you don't like it in six months you might already have an acquaintance who'd be interested in taking it off your hands

Now, does it have the convection microwave oven or the conventional oven and drawer microwave? It's also great if it has 2 fantastic fans instead of the standard 1.

Congratulations. Did you sign the paperwork yet or are you negotiating? (Go for it, it's a buyer's market.) Did you go to Bates?

Paula
Old 09-06-2009, 07:04 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Oh, what fun you will have, just bring treats in the trailer for the dogs, fleece blankets so you don't ruin the sofas and beds and some throw rugs and you will be set...

Carol
cclarkego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:44 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
paprika is red, cilantro is green - what color do you have?????/

pictures please - we love pictures
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:25 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Temple Terrace , Florida
Have not "pulled the trigger just yet".
Pictures are here. 2009 Airstream International 27FB - Travel Trailer - Details

Here is a picture of the "girls" Click image for larger version

Name:	Dan Hemi Ginger.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	360.4 KB
ID:	86747
Old 09-07-2009, 05:28 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
those are two extra cute doggies - life IS good!! my dog loves the twins b/c she can perch on the bed with nose to window.
redstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 04:20 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
So what are you going to pull that thing with? I love the International interiors (not the ocean breeze though).
Airstream01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:04 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' SS International
Pasadena , California
I was trying to figure out what the 'twin' bed layout would be... Now that i've seen that... If u ever would want to sell u think it would be very hard...

I have a 25'ccd (no front bed) so I think my bed is queen... It's great as a bachelor pad, but it's also great to take a lady along...

Now with the twin beds... To small for yourself, definatly to small for two...

Just my humble opinion..,
flmgrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:04 PM   #35
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Temple Terrace , Florida
For now it looks like our Trusty 2003 5.4L Ford Expedition w/tow package. 88k on the beast right now, but looking to upgrade. I wanted to upgrade/update and still keep the idea of the A/S in mind.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:02 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
POMPANO BEACH , FL
I'm not seeing much difference between the International CCD 25' FB and the Flying Cloud 25' FB. The hitch weight is slightly heavier on the CCD and it is slightly wider by inches.

I've seen the pricing on the Flying Cloud lower. I've also seen more used options. I noticed Bates RV doesn't carry the Flying Cloud...probably, since it is so close to the International CCD.

The Deep Cycle Group (battery spec) on the Intn'l CCD is also higher.

Am I missing something?
Tropicgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:17 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
I'm not seeing much difference between the International CCD 25' FB and the Flying Cloud 25' FB. The hitch weight is slightly heavier on the CCD and it is slightly wider by inches.

I've seen the pricing on the Flying Cloud lower. I've also seen more used options. I noticed Bates RV doesn't carry the Flying Cloud...probably, since it is so close to the International CCD.

The Deep Cycle Group (battery spec) on the Intn'l CCD is also higher.
Am I missing something?
The design of the overhead cabinets is much different. The plexiglass doors are sliders, and instead of two small cabinets, you'll have one large one. It's slightly deeper front to back too, (based on how my dishes fit). Everything 25 feet and up is a "wide body" 8' 6" - regardless of whether it's a FC, CCD or Classic. Anything less than 25 is 8' - except the sports and European ones which I think are 7' 6".

The laminates used on the tables and countertops are better on the CCD's - thicker and more carefully adhered. The Safari/Flying Cloud laminates are barely better than Contact paper.

I'm still assembling everything I need to replace my dinette table and redo my kitchen. Found the sink I want and the faucet. Have chosen the formica for the countertops. Have decided on a SMEV burner unit, and am still hanging fire over whether to go to a convection microwave. Anyone know of a reasonably priced decent one?

Oh.. came up with an idea for the bedroom too. There is an "end table" on my sideways queen that's just big enough for an alarm clock and a water bottle. No drawer, just hides some wiring. Thought about cutting a Kleenex dispenser hole on the side facing the bed - with clamps to hold a box of tissues against the dispenser UNDER the table. Thoughts?

Might put a book rack under there too. Just to hold one or two books.

Did buy my "washing machine" from www.thelaundryalternative.com. All that girl stuff that needs to be hand laundered will work just fine. I plan to stow it in the shower - which thanks to a fan placed on the floor and an open vent is already my "cloths dryer".
Old 09-08-2009, 09:58 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
POMPANO BEACH , FL
Thanks for the 4-1-1...I guess that explains the price difference...
Tropicgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:33 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Ledyard , Connecticut
As far as I am concerned, you will never find a trailer that is LARGE enough for 2 adults and 2 big dogs! They are always underfoot and in the way!
We have two 80# goldens and 2 appropriately sized humans inhabiting our 22 foot CCD. We have a 2001 Excursion for a tow vehicle. We like the excessively large SUV and have removed the 3rd seat to configure that area for the dogs. The back or middle row of seats can either stay up or go down to create lots of storage space. When the seat is up there is still room behind it for crates and skinny items. My goldens would prefer to sit in my lap while in route, so we have configured a barrier out of plastic lattice and one of those removeable pet barriers. My houdinis can move the bars on the 'pet barrier' and squeeze through, but with the addition of the lattice they are foiled!
We have also created a 'fenced yard' with two four ft tall expens and snow fencing stakes and cable cuffs. It gives the dogs a secure area outside that they enjoy. And obviously frees up valuable floor space in the camper.

Mary

The more I try to understand people, the better I like my dog.
rettoc625 is offline   Reply With Quote