Old 09-02-2009, 01:37 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Temple Terrace , Florida
Trying to kill 2 birds at a time (A/S & TV). I'm the kind of guy that buys things once. So I intend to "do it right the first time".

I guess that is the perfectionist in me coming through. Looking for the smallest A/S the four of us can enjoy ourselves in, and a TV that I will never say "I wish I would have?". I hope all this makes sense.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:49 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Gotcha, my 4 runner was my forever car (even bought the livetime oil changes, did get my moneys worth). But after our "sway" trip we traded up to the Tundra and the haha. Over kill we know but we feel much safer now.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:50 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Pompano Beach , Florida
I'm looking for the same, and am considering the Flying Cloud 23 or 25 foot Front Bed (FB). The reason is the walk around bed. I'm even considering twin beds, since the 2 twins are slightly larger than the 1 queen bed. We are used to a king at home, and we both need our space. I also like the fact that the bedroom can be shut away...I didn't feel that the Sports had the same ability to close off the bedroom. I'm wanting to possibly be able to have friends join us camping and the 23 - 25 foot allows the extra space. The other thing I like about this model is the panoramic window. It seems very light on the inside. Since I'm in Florida, I don't have to worry as much about heating the A/S, so the more windows the better.

I was going to definitely go with the 25 FB, but started looking at tow vehicles, and since I do not want a truck or Van, that only left the VW Touareg or the Nisson Armada as possible vehicles I would want...With the Touareg, it appears to be cutting it close for the 25'...so that is where I am stuck. I like the Touareg better. The Nisson seems ginormous...I'm going to use the tv as my primary vehicle and don't want to drive a small school bus...

Hope this helps!
Old 09-05-2009, 08:41 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Verily I say unto thee...

OK I fulltime IN a Safari (now Flying Cloud) 25 FB SE.

Next time I'll get twins.
Next time I'll get a 27 FB International.
But not until (a) the economy improves AND (b) I've got all cash.
As a single woman, I'd likely morph that second twin into a sewing table/ computer workstation/workbench... but I'd make sure it could convert back to a bed if needed.

OK, walkaround queen - in a 25 it's barely a walk around queen. The side of the bed that faces the front of the unit has about 4 inches of "walk around" space at the floor. You can balance there precariously while making the bed. You can store shoes there. You can lose your glasses there. Otherwise USELESS.

There is a LOT more closet space and pantry space in the 27'... It also has a lobster bowl sink in the Safari and International levels - one BIG DEEP sink that you can get a skillet into handle and all! Deep enough that you don't splatter everywhere when doing dishes. Draining them? Wipe them off and put them away, slacker!

The 27 FB has a true walk around queen if you want a queen.... That means either person can get out and take a midnight tinkle without disturbing the other.

The other bad thing about the 25 Queen - is getting to all of the stuff you store under it. (It's doable, but you access it from ONE side and the foot of the bed. The 27 queen would be better. Twins at either length, better still.

Differences between trim levels

Flying Cloud (Formerly Safari) - mouse fur on the interior walls, small windows that don't open fully - cheapest laminates and particle board interiors.

Flying Cloud SE (nee Safari SE{special edition}) - bare aluminum interior walls, big windows that open fully - cheapest laminates and particle board interiors.

International (aka CCD) - bare aluminum interior walls, big windows heavier laminates on interiors - very modern looking interior.
International Ocean Breeze - beachy model with modern "tiki bar" interior and full awning package. I like it, but don't know if I'd like to live with it for years and years.

Classic (nee Excella in the 90's) - new ones have large windows, vinyl on the interior walls, hickory cabinetry and deeper contoured cushions - Pleather upholstery is common. Corian counters and sinks. Bronze faucets (blech). Windows are heavily curtained with valence boxes.

You've got Bates RV right there in Florida - make it a day trip to see the various models IN PERSON.

Colonial Airstream has the best website www.colonialairstream.com - and a huge inventory. Do some preliminary ogling there. You can select one length and floor plan, then look at it in all of the different trim levels.

Paula
Old 09-05-2009, 10:52 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Pompano Beach , Florida
Okay, I started out wanting a 19', then the 20' looked better...then I thought, why not go for the 23'? But then comparing models, I figured I had to have the dinette at the front window, which meant the 25' in the FB models, where the bedroom is separate. Now you are telling me that I need to go to the 27'? AAARRRGGHHHHH
Old 09-05-2009, 11:00 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Where's the Beef? I mean particle board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Flying Cloud (Formerly Safari) - mouse fur on the interior walls, small windows that don't open fully - cheapest laminates and particle board interiors.

Flying Cloud SE (nee Safari SE{special edition}) - bare aluminum interior walls, big windows that open fully - cheapest laminates and particle board interiors.

Paula
Hi, we like the little windows for several reasons and because my wife is also little she has no problem getting all around our queen bed. I do like the queen set-up in the 27'er better, but we aren't changing now. Now my real question is, for my personal information and not arguement. I keep hearing about particle board interiors. I have cut, drilled, modified, removed, and explored vertually every part of my trailer and have not found one single piece of particle board anywhere in my trailer. I have found 1/2" - 5/8" - and 3/4" plywood in my trailer. Behind the bathroom cabinet and under my kitchen sink has a very small piece of masonite; I don't consider that as particle board. So, I guess now, what I'm asking is did Airstream start making cabinets out of particle board after 2005 or after my unit was made? [mine was actually made in 2004]

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:02 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Just jokeing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropicgal View Post
Okay, I started out wanting a 19', then the 20' looked better...then I thought, why not go for the 23'? But then comparing models, I figured I had to have the dinette at the front window, which meant the 25' in the FB models, where the bedroom is separate. Now you are telling me that I need to go to the 27'? AAARRRGGHHHHH
Hi, just buy a 34'er and a Kenworth and be done with it.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-05-2009, 11:25 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Medium density fiberboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, we like the little windows for several reasons and because my wife is also little she has no problem getting all around our queen bed. I do like the queen set-up in the 27'er better, but we aren't changing now. Now my real question is, for my personal information and not arguement. I keep hearing about particle board interiors. I have cut, drilled, modified, removed, and explored vertually every part of my trailer and have not found one single piece of particle board anywhere in my trailer. I have found 1/2" - 5/8" - and 3/4" plywood in my trailer. Behind the bathroom cabinet and under my kitchen sink has a very small piece of masonite; I don't consider that as particle board. So, I guess now, what I'm asking is did Airstream start making cabinets out of particle board after 2005 or after my unit was made? [mine was actually made in 2004]
OK, I misspoke, it's MDF - medium density fiberboard. I have the 2006 and it's everywhere. The closet doors, the flat under-seat cabinet doors, etc. Even the exterior of the bedframe is MDF. The interior dividers appear to be poplar. MDF doesn't hold screws as well as plywood, and I've had to retighten about half of the hinges and doorlocks. Elmers glue and a toothpick work wonders.

The curved cabinet fronts for the overhead cabinets aren't even THAT, they are styrofoam - or something similar. They have a hard skin, but underneath they are foam. I took off an end panel in the bedroom to install an "auxiliary cloths rod" and the cut edge that fits into the segment's curve is pure foam! The panels were held on by something that looked like a straight staple - I ended up reattaching the one I removed with velcro. No WAY I wanted to try to drill into that!

Paula
Old 09-05-2009, 11:36 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropicgal View Post
My first was a 22, 18 months later the 25... now I'm looking at the 27... but then I fulltime. You'll save money if you buy the 27 the first time out, but the 25 with twins is nice too. And the end dinette is in the back with the FB which stands for front bedroom. You have a lot more foot and leg room in a front or rear dinette than one that's on the side over a wheel well.

Paula
Old 09-06-2009, 12:38 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
OK, I misspoke, it's MDF - medium density fiberboard. I have the 2006 and it's everywhere. The closet doors, the flat under-seat cabinet doors, etc. Even the exterior of the bedframe is MDF. The interior dividers appear to be poplar. MDF doesn't hold screws as well as plywood, and I've had to retighten about half of the hinges and doorlocks. Elmers glue and a toothpick work wonders.

The curved cabinet fronts for the overhead cabinets aren't even THAT, they are styrofoam - or something similar. They have a hard skin, but underneath they are foam. I took off an end panel in the bedroom to install an "auxiliary cloths rod" and the cut edge that fits into the segment's curve is pure foam! The panels were held on by something that looked like a straight staple - I ended up reattaching the one I removed with velcro. No WAY I wanted to try to drill into that!
Paula

Hi, to me MDF is just another name or form of fiber board, so I wouldn't say you misspoke. My bed frame is also all plywood except for the poplar supports. My overhead cabinet doors are, like yours made from some sort of foam, not styrofoam though. I also won't try to drill into those; My wife thought maybe I could put handles on them, but I explained to her they won't hold and you would not be able to tighten the handles down either. This would just crush the foam. So I'm going to say from your statement, and I know you know what you are talking about, that sometime after my trailer was built MDF or particle board was used instead of plywood. Should this fact be added to the quality thread?

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-06-2009, 07:35 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, just buy a 34'er and a Kenworth and be done with it.
I started out looking for a pop up trailer.

The 34' just looked so good I had to buy it.
Old 09-06-2009, 03:48 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Temple Terrace , Florida
Went for our first look IN PERSON today and they had a 27' International w/twins. It was a quick and easy step up for us. The outside storage was key on the 27', golfclubs fit fine behind the gas tanks in the front storage, nice feature for us. It was "Paprika" color CCD and was really our style. It was wife approved, quickly. The Labradors have yet to give it the once over, but the space looks good combined with the Expo. Looks to be a turnkey deal for us. Just add hitch, brake controller, and maybe a generator.

The 27' just gave that tiny bit more room everywhere; galley, foot of the beds, and such. . It one of those things that you just can't get back latter.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:05 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Temple Terrace , Florida
I mean the color was "Cilantro", sorry. And also later.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:55 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
OOOOh...

And if you decide you don't like it in six months you might already have an acquaintance who'd be interested in taking it off your hands

Now, does it have the convection microwave oven or the conventional oven and drawer microwave? It's also great if it has 2 fantastic fans instead of the standard 1.

Congratulations. Did you sign the paperwork yet or are you negotiating? (Go for it, it's a buyer's market.) Did you go to Bates?

Paula