Old 08-11-2014, 09:45 PM   #15
Rivet Puller
2004 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
We have not made a trip without our two Danes along and they enjoy the adventure stress free. So far, they have seen 41 states, around 25,000 miles of travel, and miles of hiking through remote territories.

I am lucky to be able to park our trailer curbside at the house before trips without the neighbors fussing. Since I do a thorough systems check of everything before hitting the road, the dogs always get to lounge in the trailer while I do my prepatory routine. They seem to use this time to reclaim the trailer as their kennel and settle in. The day of departure is always high spirits and wagging tails when we lock the house up.

Take along as full a canine medical kit as possible, plus all your paperwork of shots and recent vet visits. Many places require proof of vaccinations yet may not ask unless there is an issue. I second the issue of campers throwing bones, etc., near camp sites. Be sure to inspect your spot upon arrival, preferably with your most sensitive muzzle along to point out those items hidden at the edge of cut grass areas.

I carry a very large plastic food storage bin in my truck bed that has a 10" screw cap, with gasket, for sealing dog food odors away from wildlife noses. It is especially necessary in bear country. It holds about 50 pounds of dry food.

I've trained dogs for almost forty years and mine have been specifically trained to NOT chase anything (rodents included). However, one has a penchant for bringing me possums (six to date without harm) to fix since they are clearly broken. Possums must truly have bad eyesight as they wander into camp and then drop 'dead' when confronted with two inquisitive muzzles. That particular dog is also capable of fetching a loaf of fresh bread in a plastic sleeve without crushing it in the slightest way.

My dogs are off-leash extensively in their home environment (GA forests) to reinforce their training. When the urge to investigate has arisen by newly discovered species (examples: elk/moose in the Rockies, alligators on the SC coast) they are easily called off the lunge/point vocally. They are happy to sit and watch deer wander through nearby areas without excitement. I think they view deer as other Danes, just brown.

Despite good training and generally leashed while traveling, my dogs always wear electronic collars (range 1+ mile) with LED lights (for night walks) and engraved brass tags with my name, cell number, and home town.

When it comes to baths, mine prefer to be hosed off like horses so doing feet and legs is a simple rinse campside. Quick dry towels are a must. Likewise, rain coats so wet dog odors don't permeate the interior.

SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:16 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
Oh, I forgot to add a couple of things. We bought leashes at a festival in Vail but they are all over. They have hooks at both ends with rings spaced about every foot. They work great to add to our existing leashes to make tie outs. Sham wows work great to dry wet dogs off with. Take complete vet records with you just in case. I agree with the water comment above. It can be hard on them to switch water. I also agree with deciding where everyone sleeps and stick to it. We bought waffle beds from Groupon and they work perfectly between our twin beds and move easily to the floor board of the truck for extra padding. These girls don't share the seat space very well.

Our black lab is not real friendly to folks, skittish and barks like crazy at home. In the past we have left her at home and taken the yellow one because of all of those behaviors. Turns out we underestimated her BIG TIME and she has been fantastic. She is just nervous when men walk up to her but we have learned to let the yellow friendly one lead the way and show her it is okay. That is working much better. I have also thought about getting one of those vests that says "in training" or something. We saw a shiva inu at the space needle in Seattle with a vest on and it seemed to help him. They also make some color coded harnesses that gauge accessibility but I think people would have to know what the colors mean. For the most part, we walk them well and then they are tired if we leave them for a bit. The AC and music helps a lot also.

Our outdoor water bowl has worked the best for indoors as well. Our two labs will splatter and splash when they drink. We use a small hard sided six-pack cooler filled with water as the water bowl. It fits two heads and contains the splashing. Well, unless they drop the ball in there! Hope this helps!!

silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:25 PM   #17
Off to find the world
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Westminster , Colorado
CWF: LOL! So, true story, I do plan on taking the dogs out every day to where we are storing the AS and just hanging out in it and treating them for desired behavior.

SeeMore: wow! Thanks for all the great insight. I had been thinking about LED tags for them. The medical kit for the dogs is a great idea and had totally escaped my list of things we might need.

Goal15: I'd think that at least when potty trained. Remember, dogs don't generalize well, so, you might have to do potty training for the youngster in the AS.

We picked our Stream up today and the parts guy recommended an outdoor loving space thing which attatches off the warning and goes all the way to the ground. Might be good to prevent Bo from seeing incoming dogs or at least give me a chance to work behavior with him also would keep the kids dry if it rained.

You all rock by the way! Thanks for sharing all this insight. NONE of it is going to waste.....I might have to test it and write a book after all
TinCanDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:28 PM   #18
Off to find the world
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Westminster , Colorado
Silverlabs: I'm glad shamwows worked. I bought like 10 today for the boys.

I have a special bandana made for Bo to let people know he needs a little space. I give them to all my clients and they seem to work. Here's a picture of an early version when he was just a babe. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1407817673.378878.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	709.9 KB
ID:	218908Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1407817694.539338.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	922.4 KB
ID:	218909
Old 08-11-2014, 10:59 PM   #19
Rivet Puller
2004 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
Another thought - Get a few moving blankets for the floor and couch (if they are allowed up). They are padded and can be used on the ground outside the trailer if necessary,too. We travel with three. Two are for inside only. They can be taken out daily for a shake and sand/dirt/fur removal, can be washed each outting easier than cleaning carpets & fabrics, and they catch drool + wet paw tracks!

Thoughts on a basic canine first aid kit:

My vet gave me a refillable script for 300 cephalexin 500mg for bacterial infections. Dosage = body weight divided by 50 and round up to whole number, given twice daily. That will solve big scrapes, deeper skin cuts, mouth sores, and when you find swollen lymph glands.

Spray Hydrocortisone for various skin irritations and topical fungi's.

Optibiotic ointment for ear infections; usually from swimming in bad water or ear mites off the ground when laying around dirty spots at camp.

Tramadol without aspirin for pain management. Aspirin is deadly for canines! They can have Ibuprofin if needed for sore muscles after high activity like arduous hikes.

Triple Antibiotic ointment for small scratches and nicks.

Lots of gauze patches and elastic, self sticking 2" wide or larger rippled tape for bandaging legs, necks, tails, trunk, etc. You can find the tape in Rx stores or athletic/sports supply stores.

We travel for weeks at a time, and more frequently than you as new owners may do, so first aid is very important to us.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:06 PM   #20
Off to find the world
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Westminster , Colorado
First aid is SUPER important to me too. I have an epileptic pup...

That's an awesome first aid list. I wrote it all down and am assembling a kit...... I adore the moving blanket idea.......I'm stealing it.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:22 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member
1962 24' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
We have needed nearly everything in our doggie first aid kit.

Colloidal silver - is invaluable! It saved our one pug from having a corneal ulcer after he scratched his eye and we couldn't get to a vet for a week. It is great for many many problems.

Extra pain meds - if your dogs are prone to throwing out their backs. Same situation...we were stranded on a mountain for a week and one pug threw his back out. We had leftovers from last time he did that and he was right as rain once the medicine kicked in.

Benedryl - is a must for bee stings. Pug got stung, I gave him a benedryl and the swelling went back down before it became critical.

Ice packs - help keep swelling down and can be used to keep dogs from overheating
aluminitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:27 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Thanks TenCan for starting this thread. I've traveled with dogs most my life. Mostly hunting trips, but now in the Stream. Thought I had a pretty good handle on what's needed, but already find some more great ideas here. Medical kit and records, very important and SeeMore has enlightened me to a couple of other items that I've not been carrying. I hope the posts keep coming--no such thing as too many good ideas. One last thought "Skunk Off". I know campgrounds and having your dog on leash make it unlikely Fido will tangle with one (not like a hunter working a field) but trust me, if it ever happens, you will need all the help you can get to allow that pup to remain part of the family trip.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:17 AM   #23
Rivet Master
2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
People, please check with your Veterinarian about using aspirin or ibuprofen.

Ibuprofen and Dogs, Ibuprofen and Cats - Iburofen Toxicity in Dogs, Cats
2012 30' International Serenity
1947 Spartan Manor
2005 28' Safari LS - traded
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:46 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
Bring lots of large poopy bags.
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:16 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member
1980 31' International
Cincinnati , Ohio
We have two rescue shar peis (wrinkle dogs, though they are not that wrinkle-y) and we haven't had the younger one out in the trailer yet, though they both love to lounge in the doorway while we are finishing up rehab projects.
When I camped with the older one, I always had a Handi-Drink doggie water bottle which had a flip sleeve that folded open to make a mini trough for her to drink from. She loved it.
Also used lots of doggie wipes for feet, faces, and other body parts when she found a nice wild animal 'deposit'.
Have fun!
Rhino33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:21 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member
1980 31' International
Cincinnati , Ohio
Another suggestion if your dogs are sensitive to thunder, fireworks, etc is a Thundershirt (or Thunderleash). We have done a great deal of dog/puppy rescue and these coats can really have a calming effect on nervous or anxious dogs.
Rhino33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:03 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member
2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Advice on Traveling With Dogs

We have a 5 year old mini schnauzer and a new 9 week old mini schnauzer puppy. We will not be traveling until the new puppy is at least 16 weeks old and has had all of his shots. Until he has all of his shots he is at risk for parvo, distemper, etc.

One piece of advice when traveling is that we started our now 5 year old mini schnauzer wearing Mutt-Luks when we go hiking or when it is raining. It is great for him to keep his feet dry in bad weather. He also has a rain coat that he wears. We will be doing the same training for our new puppy. Mutt-Luks are available in several sizes to fit the breed of dog that you have. Our 5 year old schnauzer wears X-Small.
Here is a picture of Winston coming in from a terrible rain storm in his rain gear and Mutt-Luks. He always automatically stops on the rug to "undress"-hold his feet up one at a time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Winston Ready For Rainy Weather.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	218931  
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:39 PM   #28

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
That is adorable, and probably a lot nicer than having the camper full of 'wet doggie' smell

The best addition we've made to our trailer is the 'dog yard'

Only used with supervision - of course!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote