Old 07-04-2016, 08:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Campbell , California
National parks/dog-sitters

Was reading through posts in this forum, and it occurred to me that since many Natinal and State Parks limit dog access, it would be useful to start a list of decent pet-sitters or boarding places near those parks. We would all, of course, keep in mind that we are each responsible for checking out the facilities before leaving our pet there.

Any takers?

mykabyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:38 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
I'm interested in this information as well. It's just a sin that national parks don't allow well behaved dogs in most areas. They should at least have some of the less used trails available for those that like to get away from the crowds and take our animals with us.

2012 25FB with solar
2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7L V8
mfrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master
2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Carlsbad National Park has it's own kennel and you can leave your dog with them while touring the cavern. There may be others that do the same, although I'm not sure if any other national park has facilities available.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Originally Posted by mfrez View Post
It's just a sin that national parks don't allow well behaved dogs in most areas. They should at least have some of the less used trails available for those that like to get away from the crowds and take our animals with us.
If I could I would take my dogs on the trail with me. Reluctantly, I must agree with NP policy on 3 levels. The big reason is there are always going to be jerks who don't control their dogs and don't clean up after them. The 2nd is philosophical. The prime directive of the NP system is preservation. John Muir said "in wildness is the preservation of the world" or something like that. The NP system has enough to deal with with millions of visitors impact let alone visitors bringing their dogs too. The 3rd reason is there are wild potentially dangerous critters in the parks: coyotes, wolves and bears (O my) to name a few. Domesticated dogs would be easy prey.

At a buffalo jam in Yellowstone I saw a toy poodle dash into the middle of a buffalo herd and take on the biggest bull in the herd. A little old blue hair lady was on the heels of her baby and snatched up the poodle, luckily without being gored, leaving the buffalo looking slightly confused.

I must say however The Maze area of Canyonlands NP is on my bucket list. It is a remote area accessible only by 4x4. Dogs are not even allowed past the gate, in any circumstances. I wish I could bring my dog.
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
We travel to National Parks with our two dogs and completely agree with Lumatic.

Sure I'd love to be able to hike with them, but there are other priorities. We mange just fine.

On another note, it took a couple of tries before I got my auto spell correct to leave Lumatic alone and not use Lunatic.
2014 25' Flying Cloud Rear Twin
2012 Dodge Durango Hemi/AWD
Wayne&Sam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 04:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Lumatic - Wayne&Sam have it spot on in our opinion. Our two Labs go everyplace with us, except where not permitted. Then we simply take turns walking the trails to see the views, we each take our own camera and it's interesting to see what we each think is photogenic. Can you imagine if all dog owners visiting NP took dogs on the trails? Dogs running free, because "my dog is good off leash"; dogs fighting' not to mention the mess and the danger to the dogs as pointed out.

There used to be few if any rules, then messes, fights, dog bites you name it and the NP Service made up rules.

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:20 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member
2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Sorry, I don't buy it. Anybody in the NPS would agree that people do more damage to national parks than dogs. It is convenient and easy to ban dogs, because passionate dog lovers are still in the minority (and probably always will be). People are controlled by focusing in on the people who cause problems. Why not the same with dogs?
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Here, here!!!
Knowledge: "A gift to be shared. A treasure to receive."
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
National parks/dog-sitters

In Yellowstone dogs are banned from boardwalks and trails for several reasons. One is that wolves, coyotes and bears are very likely to attack a domestic dog on sight which not only endangers the dog but also the owner who is likely to try and intervene.

Another reason is that dogs do not know the difference between clear blue cold water and clear blue hot water -- there have been several instances where a pet dog went into hot water, began screaming and the owner (naturally) tried to rescue their beloved pet. The most recent instance proved fatal to both.

Finally, and the reason that I think is most important is that about 20% of all people are simply afraid of dogs. On a boardwalk or narrow trail there is often nowhere to go to avoid another visitor and their dog. Not particularly fair to those who don't enjoy their presence.

I love my dog and wouldn't travel without her but I wouldn't dream of imposing her
presence on others.
Old (usually dirty) Nissan Titan
Old (enhanced with "male pattern baldness") Sovereign
Young, lovely bride
Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 04:51 AM   #10
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I hate that dogs are not allowed on trails and walkways in the big National Parks, which means solo me simply doesn't go on many of them.....where I go, so must she almost all of the time.

At Chaco Canyon lasted year, tho, dogs are allowed on the paths to the open, excavated sites, but not in the sites, themselves, which was good enough for me....we walked and saw, just didn't go inside the sites.

It was great.

It seems the hugely popular parks are where the most restrictions are, and when you see the volume of humans out and about it is completely understandable why they are not allowed to have their dogs with them.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:23 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member
2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Dogs are not in any more danger in National Parks than they are a few miles down the road in wilderness or national forest areas. People, with or without dogs, have always managed to get into trouble in National Parks with the wildlife or natural hazards. We have backpacked the length of the Sierras and other mountain ranges for many years with our dog, and have encountered all the wildlife and natural hazards there without any damage to us or them. Of course there are risks in any activity you undertake, but that's part of life.

When I walk with my dog, it is obvious to me at a distance of 30 yards whether the person approaching doesn't want anything to do with my dog, or wants to roll around on the ground with her, and I react accordingly. In most places in National Parks, the trails or boardwalks are wide enough that I can position my dog so that I am between her and the approaching person, if that seems to be called for, or else there is a wide spot I can wait until the dog averse person passes by. Lupe also knows by now that not everyone wants to roll around on the ground with her, and she reacts accordingly as well.

It doesn't bother me as much that the NPS bans dogs as it does that they feel the need to make up BS reasons for doing it. There are plenty of other places to play. The reason the NPS bans dogs is because there simply isn't room for them in an already overcrowded park, and the NPS is looking for ways to further restrict access, not increase it. Maybe someday there will be enough passionate dog owners to comprise a political force large enough to get the NPS attention and force some changes, but I doubt that will happen in my lifetime.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 07-08-2016, 11:26 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member
Vintage Kin Owner
St Charles , Missouri
I think that is a great idea, but what I would like even more is a list of RV parks that I can leave my dogs in my trailer and they will notify me if they become annoying to others. Versus the ones that say, you can't leave your dogs and we will kick you out if you do. Our dogs rarely bark and we try to wear them out before leaving them in the trailer.

Our dogs go pretty much everywhere with us, that is the main reason we have a travel trailer. In most cases, I understand the need for the rules and restrictions, but for the most part, those have been caused by the majority of the dog owners. When the restrictions say "Must be on leash no longer than 6 foot", that doesn't mean to put the dog on a 30' retractable leash and lay the handle on the ground. We've had more little ankle bitters coming running at us dragging their restractable leash, owners slowly walking behind them, than I can count. Good thing is that they always go after our big lab which is scared of everything, it wouldn't end so well if they decided to go after our female pitbull terrier mix. I've seen her snatch possums off the fence and slam them on the ground.

But I agree, we gauge the oncoming people and adjust our dogs or path accordingly. It also helps being the alpha with your dogs, so many people allow their dogs to be the alpha.

I also try to avoid anywhere a lab might mark his territory until I know he is completely empty. Because my wife doesn't always pay attention and he has been known to mark sidewalks and flower pots in front of stores.

Plus, my dogs are better mannered than most peoples kids these days.
Texfx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:44 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Interesting, we have small dogs, always leashed, and the number one problem we have are large dogs either running loose or under semi control of someone. I have a 2500 dollar vet bill caused by a large dog not under proper supervision. It's like, he never bit anyone or anything before?! We've camped for years and regularly have to protect our dogs from larger animals. We always use a leash, six foot or shorter, but that doesn't help if the other dogs are loose or have a ten year old walking them. And don't get me started on the poop issue. We clean ours up, the bigger the dog the less likely the owner will do the same from our experience.
1984 Avion 30p 9.1 meter. 2006 Dodge 3500 cummins srw short bed crew cab.
avionstream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 12:02 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member
2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
One approach would be to call RV parks near the places you want to visit and ask them if they have any provision within the RV park to take care of dogs while the owners are away. Probably the answer will be "no." However, I doubt you're the only person to have asked this question, so some of the more enterprising parks may have made arrangements with nearby dog care facilities, and may be able to give you a referral. Won't be much fun for the dog, but at least she'll be alive and glad to see you at the end of the day, and your trailer and the tempers of the RV park people will still be intact. And, you can report back to us whether your dog had a good or bad experience there, which might help someone in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

dog, dogs, park, restrictions