Old 07-08-2016, 12:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
I don't do well with dogs.

(No hatred, some run ins, but no anti dog feelings)

I appreciate the postings here from all sides.

Attending rallies has actually put me around a lot of dogs of all sizes and my comfort level is growing. If needs be I will usually avoid and maybe mention I'm not good. That rarely happens but some dog owners assume that retractable leash means we all want to pet the precious puppy's and they reel it out like a fishing line.

I believe in leash laws and would not go or be comfortable on a no leash beach but think they are great for the enjoyment of your dogs and people. I would clearly need to go elsewhere or watch from a distance as they frolic.

In public I am very aware of where your dog is but don't make any scene. I will usually just pause, move aside, stand behind someone or go around.

However If I'm in the home improvement store I'm not usually looking for dogs. If your dog starts licking on my ankle, sniffing my mid area it will likely startle me, frighten me and I will probably brusquely ask/tell you to get your dog out of my space now and start backing myself out of the situation.

An unleased dog on a leash required trail coming at me with an owner behind at some distance is very unnerving. Usually me stopping and the owners yelling don't worry they're friendly is not reassuring in the least.

So just another perspective.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:28 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St Charles , Missouri
Agree completely, only time my dogs are not on a leash are my camper, house or yard. We don't do unleashed dog parks or turn them loose anywhere else. I don't trust that they won't decide to chase a rabbit or something or have another dog approach them.

Old 07-08-2016, 10:37 PM   #17
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
So, we have a slightly different complaint. We really wish attractions would be more accepting of dogs or at least post their policy. A farm-centric museum in Vermont was on our list of must dos. We stayed in a park that was significantly problematic for us so we could visit it the next day. Their web site had no policy. There were no postings on the grounds. But upon asking to purchase tickets we were informed that dogs were not allowed. Our error, our disappointment, their loss of revenue and good will.

All businesses are free to make their own rules and we do understand the reasons, but it really would help if they would publish the policy.

We also visited the Mystic Seaport Museum and were welcomed with the instruction that the dogs not go in buildings and had to stay on a lead. It was a bit expensive, but a great day.

Maybe we all just need to post good experiences for others to enjoy. Pat
Old 07-09-2016, 07:48 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
"Maybe we all just need to post good experiences for others to enjoy. "

Along those lines, on our last trip to Mendocino, CA, my wife and I agreed that we would take turns watching Lupe on the sidewalk while the other went into the stores we wanted to see. We were pleasantly surprised that every store we wanted to see invited Lupe in, and most offered treats to the point we had to start turning them down. The restaurants where we wanted to eat all had outside seating that welcomed dogs as well. We had similar positive experiences when we visited Nelson, BC, and all the rest of Canada, for that matter.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 07-09-2016, 08:36 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I know others will disagree. I sympathize with people who are afraid of or just don't like dogs. But in a situation where a well behaved dog is in a space with a non doggie person whose problem is it?

As an example I had a bull terrier that would frequently get opposite reactions. Walking Puck on a lease people would often cross the street to check him out or avoid him completely. The truth is despite his tough guy appearance he was a pussycat.

This is not to say I do not appreciate other's fears and feelings and all dogs should be under the owners control. I do check out if others want to be friendly to my dog first. But when appropriate and possible I will have my dogs off leash.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:21 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Rochester , New York
I hear all of your thoughts and agree. But this thread hasn't addressed the original point which was to share recommended safe boarding and pet care across the country. Who have you trusted in your travels to care for your pets?

I had been thinking of starting a thread similar to this as well because I need recommendations for the following locations:
Mackinaw, MI
Traverse City, MI
Ypsilanti, MI
West Glacier, MT

I can make a recommendation for the Rochester, NY/Finger Lakes area. Stoney Point Pet

Anyone have suggestions for these locations? I would be extremely appreciative.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:21 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizGK View Post
I hear all of your thoughts and agree. But this thread hasn't addressed the original point which was to share recommended safe boarding and pet care across the country. Who have you trusted in your travels to care for your pets?

I had been thinking of starting a thread similar to this as well because I need recommendations for the following locations:
Mackinaw, MI
Traverse City, MI
Ypsilanti, MI
West Glacier, MT

I can make a recommendation for the Rochester, NY/Finger Lakes area. Stoney Point Pet

Anyone have suggestions for these locations? I would be extremely appreciative.

Here's one suggestion. We use a local Camp Bow Wow for Daisy. Sometimes just for a day so she can blow off some steam, sometimes for weekends if we can't take her with us. And on some occasions when camping with her (as we did a couple years ago in TN) we connect with the local Camp Bow Wow if we need to board her for a day while exploring sites.

We're very familiar with our local CBW in CT and love them. They take great care of Daisy and treat her like she's their own pup. All CBW's have cameras so you can check in on your pooch whenever you like and from time to time, the staff posts great pics of them playing with your dog on Facebook. The TN franchise treated her well too - but we only had her there for a day so I don't know how they or any other group operates.

Here's a pic of the MI locations they have (on my CBW app). There are none in MT.

Good luck!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1469582398.014227.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	267769

Tags
dog, dogs, park, restrictions