Old 02-19-2008, 02:34 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
National Parks and dogs

We are trying to plan a trip to the southern parts of Utah, Bryce, Zion, Arches, etc. We have an almost one year old Golden Retriever. All my on line research tells us that dogs are not welcome in the National Parks. We were planning the trip for April of this year and thought we would be camping in National Forests or State Parks where dogs would be more welcome, but the National Forest camp grounds do not seem to be open until mid May.

Does anyone have any experience camping in southern Utah and visiting the National Parks with a dog, in the spring, that they can pass along.

It would be much appreciated.

uluwene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:44 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I believe dogs are allowed in the campgrounds, but not on the trails. That is why we have never taken a trip to the Olympics yet, even though it's close by. I'd rather find places where the dogs can go with us.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:45 PM   #3
Commercial Member
1967 30' Sovereign
Los Lunas , New Mexico
They're sort of limitedly allowed, at least at Grand Canyon and Zion. You have to keep them on leash and in the campground area, not on any of the park trails or similar vistor areas. The same applies to Dead Horse Point State Park, sort of between Arches and Canyonlands. (I strongly endorse staying at Dead Horse, by the way!)

WBCCI 21043
eubank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
I know that at Yosemite National Park leashed dogs are allowed on the paved trails/bike paths in the valley, but not on the hiking trails. We've taken our 3 dogs with us and have had no problem walking for miles with them. When we're at the campsite, we keep them on 6' tethers.
Sounds like a great trip we'd also love to do someday. Best of luck!
janetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:34 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
1977 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Trinity , Alabama
Dogs in National Parks

A Google search for .......36 cfr 1002.15......will give you National Park Service regulations for pets. Some parks may have additional regulations
norsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:34 PM   #6
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Zion National Park pet policy includes:
  • They are not allowed on the shuttle, in the backcountry, on trails, or in public buildings.
  • All pets are allowed on the Pa'rus Trail.

Grand Canyon National Park pet policy includes:
  • Leashed pets are allowed on trails above the rim, Mather Campground, Desert View Campground, Trailer Village and throughout the developed areas.
  • Pets are not permitted below the rim, in park lodging (hotel rooms), or on park buses.
  • On the North Rim pets are not allowed other than the bridle path that connects the lodge with the North Kaibab Trail.

We just returned from a (frosty!) visit to the GCNP South Rim with our two pups, and found there to be more than enough rim trails to explore for days and days.

Alas, it looks like each National Park has their own take on pets, so you might want to visit each park online that you're interested in. Generally you can find the pet policy under the "Plan your visit" section.

We love traveling with our dogs. That's one of our key reasons for getting the Safari

2007 20' Safari SE/LS // 12063 //CA-5// ("ex") 2916
5cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master
1990 25' Airstream 250
Bluffton , South Carolina
Talking Good dog

My 12 year old Lab / Golden and I have traveled for all of her 12 years. She is a really great traveller and companion but we both know the rules. Pick up - no bark - yada yada....... The trouble with a pet in the wildlife areas is it's a threatening place and they want to protect you.

I have been exposed to RV'ers with pets that have infuriated me. They have made it hard for my pet and me. I'm talking about the inconsiderate pet owners that have caused all the restrictions. The burden, pet owners, is ours. We are the minority and can only win with our good behaviour.

A one year old Golden? probably not a good idea in a national park. All of you, dog included, would most likely be stressed out. I would recommend you look at the areas you want to travel - check out BLM land - train you magnificent dog to know the commands - how to travel - Be comfortable in wild environment - with strangers and strange yappy pets.

An example. In 2007, We went to Williams, AZ. and took the train to the Grand Canon. Zap, my pet, Stayed in day care. Worked really well for all of us!! Do your home work - make the trip good for all.
Pop Rivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:44 PM   #8
Tom O
1966 17' Caravel
Altadena , California
We have taken our dog to Zion NP. The rules are as stated above. The trail that they can go on runs from the visitor center in Springdale up beyond the lodge in the canyon. There is a very good day care place for dogs just south of Springdale, the Doggie Dude Ranch. They took very good care of Macallan while we went places that he was not supposed to go. While you are in Springdale be sure to get a hamburger at Oscar's.
"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges!"

Toldfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We travel with 2 dogs (cockers) and find that they are welcome in most parks in general, but usually not on hiking trails or in park buildings...which is fine. We always check the regulations regarding pets, though, because sometimes there are more restrictions. The key is to keep your dog on leash for others' and their own safety and to pick up after them. One of our pet peeves (pun intended) is dog owners who feel they they are somehow exempt from picking up after thier pets... Grrrr.

TB & Greg and Abbey Schnauzer
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:20 PM   #10

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Wandering Critters

Originally Posted by 5cats

We love traveling with our dogs. That's one of our key reasons for getting the Safari

DITTO Have made several NP tours over the years, never really had any

problems with taking our "critters" along. Once there it's funny just how

easy it is for them to adjust your plans so everyone has a good time!!

Would never consider traveling without them.

Question....5cats= 2 cool human's & 3 hip K9's.

Our first dog's name J.D. Just Dog
AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:35 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Don't tell the doggie police, but I can usually find a place early in the morning for a little run. Personally I think the rules are overly restrictive but I'm sure there are reasons why, such as dogs running game. Never met a rabbit my dog could catch. Maybe you could strap on some rabbit ears to Fido in case you are spotted.

There are rattlesnakes out there and an off chance a dog can get bit.

Just out of the Needles and near Dead Horse Point in Canyonlands is BLM land you can legally run your dogs. There is BLM land close to a lot of National Park land.
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:16 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
After years of petitioning, the Florida State Parks in the Keys (Bahia Honda, Curry Hammock, Long Key and Pennekamp) finally allowed dogs in the campground. You can't use the trails or take your dog to the beach but there are dog walks and you can use the paved trails. Great for us as we have a weird Dachsund named Jane who travels with us.

Unfortunately, they are seriously considering reinstating a total ban on pets because of fools who abuse the privilege. I've seen lots of dogs on the beach, off leash. Lots of piles.

I just don't understand the "I'm special, the rules don't apply to me" mindset....

n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:26 PM   #13
Rivet Master
1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Originally Posted by n2916s
I just don't understand the "I'm special, the rules don't apply to me" mindset....
These idiots are everywhere. Locally, we're quickly loosing all of our off-leash parks because of them. A local RV Park has also banned all pets in their park because of it.
Cameron & the Labradors
Kai & Samm
North Vancouver, BC
AIR #11529
Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - Mame Dennis
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:03 PM   #14
Rivet Master
1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Same here

The pooper scooping, or lack thereof, is definitely spoiling things for responsible pet owners. In Chattanooga, we've even lost some of our previously on-leash permitted areas because of folks not following the rules.

Regarding pets in National Parks, the only one I'm immediately familiar with is Great Smoky Mountain National Park, mostly because of the AT section within the park. Leashed pets are allowed in campgrounds and two small park trails, but the backcountry and all other trails are off limits. This has long been a sticking point for AT hikers wanting to thru-hike with their dogs but must make other arrangements.

Traveling With Elvis
life with a 1956 Sovereign of the Road

• • • Aluminocentricity • • •
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote