Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-05-2017, 09:22 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Dave
I don't get where your going with this. Unfortunately rules are in place for the 10 percenters who need them. I'm sure your dog is well behaved. How would you like it if he encountered someone's not so well behaved unleashed pit bull? Do you think he would stand a chance?
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:57 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
National Parks and dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
Dave

I don't get where your going with this. Unfortunately rules are in place for the 10 percenters who need them. I'm sure your dog is well behaved. How would you like it if he encountered someone's not so well behaved unleashed pit bull? Do you think he would stand a chance?

Where I'm going with this is that I'm willing to take the chance that I can protect my dog off leash, knowing that I may not be able to do that, the same as I'm willing to take the chance that I can protect myself off leash, knowing that I may not be able to do that either. The perception of the people in Vigo was that dogs were normal occupants of the sidewalks, the same as people. There was a sense of peacefulness and acceptance of dogs in Vigo that is absent here. In two weeks in Vigo, I observed no incidences of problems with dogs off leash on the sidewalks. Probably there were some that I didn't observe.

Of course, during the day you referenced in Hong Kong, you didn't notice any incidences of violence between people, either. In fact (averaging from yearly statistics) in Hong Kong that day there were 30 incidences of violence between people, a 36 year low. I'm sure there were more than that in New York. Perhaps we could reduce that if people were better controlled?

I really don't see why laws pertaining to dogs should be different from laws pertaining to human beings. It is against the law for human beings to attack each other. They do anyway, and yet we go about our business playing the odds and hoping we aren't attacked. The odds are low enough that we don't worry about it that much. I have walked around the blocks in my neighborhood with Lupe off leash thousands of times in the 5 years since I've had her, and she has had countless encounters with other dogs, none resulting in violence. If I said the same thing about walks with my wife, it wouldn't even be worth commenting on, but somehow with Lupe, it is.
Why?
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:06 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Vigo sounds like a wonderful city. I'll try to visit some day.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 04:48 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I can virtually assure one that if a targeted Pit Bull or some other breeds attacks your dog or you while on a walk you will not be able to defend your dog or yourself if it turns on you.

My start as a dog trainer was learning how to rehabilitate former fighting Pit Bulls. In three years I rehabilitated 1,500 either fighters or much harder to work with their bait dogs. I still do this, but also started a business training dogs for Veterans with PTSD and or other aliments - I do it for no charge, but train others for money to cover my costs.

After all this we walk our two Labradors every day no matter where we are at least 3-4 miles. We have been attacked by either a stray or owned dog, usually a Pit mix. I carry, I also have on me an extra slip leash as well as mace as does my wife. I can usually break up a fight with the extra leash, under the rear of the offending dog a lift up quickly.

Dogs don't mind being leashed, the running free etc is because we humans like to see it. Sure they have a great time, but it's totally unnecessary. The most important activity for an owned dog, a pet or service etc dog is "the structured walk" - on leash. More communication takes place down the leash than at any time in a dog/human relationship.

Enjoy your dogs, they are never here long enough.

My Best

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote