Old 08-05-2009, 01:40 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Sparks , Nevada
my new dog run

I saw a photo posted by 3 Dog Nite of their dog run. It looked great so I ordered one; the bronze series (7 panels and one gate - plus extra 2 panels) from optionspluskennels. I am really pleased with it. Their customer service was amazing and rushed it to me so I would have it in time for my last trip. I assembled it with the 3'x4' panels in the tall position to get a final size of 6'x9' run. (It can be assembled with panel positioned 90 deg, with 3' high sides, and making it a lot larger - but my greyhound would have been stooping!) The first thing that I did was buy 24 wing-nuts (to replace the locking nuts) so that assembly would be easier/quicker. But it still took a bit more time than I hoped - maybe 30 minutes first time set-up. When I took it apart, I left 2 or 3 panels connected together, loosening the clamps enough to fold the panels. Then I used zip-ties to keep the panels folded. It will probably take less time to set-up next time. I thought about abandoning the clamping system all together and using zip-ties solely..... Hummmmm.... might work and be quicker in the future. Not a big deal at this point.

I also purchased a roll of shade cloth and tarp clips to secure to the top. That worked out pretty good. (The cost saved by not purchasing this component from the distributer/mfg allowed me to buy the extra two panels.) I also bought a couple rolls of plastic hardware cloth. I anticipated securing it to the bottom of the crate with zip-ties to prevent my pups from trying to dig out. In the end, I didn't bother with this - but I have the rolls in my trailer in case I want to try it next time.

Anyway ... I wanted to complement the company on a good product and really great service. I guess the entire run is somewhere around 80 lbs - but it's well worth the extra weight, IMO. It just displaced some firewood.

Here's a couple pics of it set up during my last trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00605.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	553.6 KB
ID:	84965   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00614.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	503.9 KB
ID:	84966  

funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:43 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Great idea, I'll keep it in mind.

Thanks for the info,

tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Glad to hear it works for you funkill. The more you use it, the quicker set up is. I have 3 extra panels & can have it up with 3 homemade panels for under the MH in 23 minutes. I use a deep socket on a 3/8 rachet. You don't have to tighten the nuts too much as they are locking nuts.

"Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." Mark Twain

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote