Old 11-21-2005, 09:43 AM   #29
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Penny also is going deaf, though I do feel that some of it is just old age selective hearing, cause she hear me go into the kitchen from a few rooms away, yet when I walk in it's almost as if I startle her.

She also has cataracts, but can still see very well without additional lighting (so far). I am sure as the months, and hopefully years do creep by, it won't be getting better.

To that end I have contacted a pet cemetary about 20 miles from my house that will cremate Penny when the time comes. The vet will put her down, but when I found that pets that are put down at places like my vet, they are loaded on a UPS type truck and "shipped" to the nearest pet creamation facility. That seems kind of cold to me being such a large part of the family, so although I don't cherrish the thought, I have a plan in my head for what I will do when the day does eventually arrive. I'll be the one to take her to the vet and then to the cemetary and I'll be there at the cemetary throughout the process and will get *her* ashes back, and will take them probobly up north to our cabin, and let them be taken in the wind as she loves the outdoors. Hopefully this will be many more years away.

Old 11-21-2005, 02:41 PM   #30
_

. , .
hi folks

twink
sorry to read about the family pet woes....this is the dog you had with you at the mid west rally? i thought she looked a bit too thin then....slowly growing tumors and obstructions produce a "thinness" thats different than just weight loss...more like a starvation look even when properly feed....but i hesitated to say anything since our pets are such a persona familyl issue. anyway i'm glad you learned of the tumor had it removed and improved her life for now.

deciding on chemo is a difficult issue...given she has already had a good long life.....in dog years. unless you plan to have another surgical procedure if something shows....i'd forgo any more testing....i think the main reasons to opt for chemo are 1. the chance for a complete cure with a lenghtened life that out weights the risks/stress of chemo. 2. reducing the size of tumor/mets thats are causing the dog to suffer in some way. 3. really slow growing tumors that can be periodically shrunk to again prolong a good life.

so if you are mostly against more surgery or chemo....skip the ultra sounds and xrays and concentrate on a high quality/low pain stage for her. really the suffering is greatest my the humans that love the dogs, and making sure she is pain free is the best salve for us....

gstephens.......

it is a challenge to understand risk stats on procedures like colonoscopy....since each year it gets safer and the risk data is usually on older methods. also looking has a much lower risk that taking a biopsy during the procedure....this confuses the stats. since colon cancer is almost completely cureable is found early.....and almost always fatal if not....the risk of the procedure is acceptable for folks over a certain age ....a 50 year old might only have this done 2-3 times in their lifetime.....and newer methods will make it obsolete in 10-15 years anyway.

i hope what ever was found is cured for you and soon...but a little clarification....
colonoscopy is not done yearly.....usually 5-10 yr spans...and for really high risk 2-4. also it doesn't find problems in the stomach or small intestines....the tube is inserted into the rectum, so it'd need be about 25 feet long to get there.....yikes!

if your doc found something in the small intestine or stomach they likely did an esophagogastroduodenoscopy.....or egd. these are sometimes done yearly and much simple since it's via the mouth, short tube, less pressure and with much lower risks.

it's common for folks to confuse egd with colonoscopy. just like confusing airsteams with trailers (airstream content).

anyway cheers to all
2air'

Old 11-21-2005, 03:14 PM   #31
Arr, we captain our ship!

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
We embarked on a wild path about 10 years ago after our GSD crashed following his puppy vaccines (i.e. it was an eye-opener). I'm not going to get into it here but let me say that we all really need to evaluate everything we do and consume from various viewpoints. Just like those huge marketing machines we see (commercials) on TV every few minutes, the medical community also tries to "sell" us "stuff" that has no merit to the root cause issues (i.e. treat the symptoms, not the cause). We find ourselves buying drugs to slow down acid production in out stomachs when, in reality, the issue probably pertains to what we are eating. We take cholesterol and blood pressure medications when the root cause might be obesity, exercise, and diet issues. I feel badly for all the folks with diabetes caused by diet and activity issues - it is an epidemic. What a way to become dependent on drugs and the never ending reliance on the medical merry-go-round. "I'll die if I don't take that drug.". Talk about being held hostage... But, hey, it makes a really good customer for the drug companies so why should they care? Think about it.

Anyway, my dad went in for a routine colonoscopy last spring and they perforated his bowel and he ended up in ICU for 9 days. Luckily, he survived but it was touch and go. Turns out (we learned this after the fact), that 1 in 500 colonoscopies (current data) ends up like him and 1 in 8 of those die. Do you realize how many of these procedures we do every day in this country? I'll take my chances with a good organic diet, thank you! A colonoscopy is not "routine" by any stretch of the imagination. It is a dangerous procedure that merits deep consideration and forethought. My own doctor won't even have one done. A good, open, honest relationship with a doctor is critical to surviving modern medicine, IMHO. If your friendship is strong and honest, they can steer you away from things that don't make sense or are too risky.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:28 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Have to disagree

Xray .. I have to disagree with you about the colonoscopys.. that was my field of work for 15 years in Canada... that is a whole other issue from this thread BUT colonoscopys have saved many lives also.. I have seen this first hand.. and no medical procedure is without risk... yes I have seen a FEW perforations but the numbers are not at all what you are quoting.. 1 in 5,000.. I could go on but .. Please everyone do not avoid going for checkups and if that means a colonoscopy because of family history , change in bowel habit, blood in stool or passing blood, polyps .. it could save your life.. Have seen this first hand .. Thanks Annie.. RegN
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 03:36 PM   #33
Arr, we captain our ship!

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I can only tell you what the hospital staff including the doc told us about the risks of colonoscopies. 1:500 is the number and 1:8 of those die. Sobering statistics, indeed, and open to debate, I'm sure.

Anyway, my doc won't have one. That's enough for me.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:23 PM   #34
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
hi folks

twink
sorry to read about the family pet woes....this is the dog you had with you at the mid west rally?

Yup...the same.

I knew then as well she was getting thin, even 6 months prior to the rally, but the vet just assumed as I did that it was just old age. Well, she's gaining weight for sure, problem is that after the surgery, they tell you to feed chicken and wild rice for a week in controlled amounts. Well, the pooch got spoiled to it and getting her fully back on her regular menu has been difficult, and like working on an Airstream, it's a labor of love, but the good news is that she keeps what she puts down and like Forrest Gump would say, and that's all I hope to say about thaaaat.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:31 PM   #35
1 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
private , New Jersey
hippo, thanks so much, i'll look into that.