Old 03-25-2009, 10:20 AM   #15
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolttx View Post
Hello everyone-- I am in the process of getting a divorce after 10 years of marriage and am seriously considering packing up what little I want, putting it in storage, and going on the road for awhile (not a new story here I imagine). I have never vacationed or lived in an airstream-- but I will post another thread on another forum about that. Here I am most concerned about my cats.

I have 4 cats. One does not really get along with everyone else-- this leads me to think that I would be insane to try to take them along in a trailer but...

Could anyone share how they deal with their cats? I have read things in many places about caging them while driving (4 cages-- where would those be stored?) Leashing them when you leave the trailer (do they get tangled up and in trouble?), and the controversy about leaving them in the trailer or not while you are gone or driving the TV(afraid that they are going to overheat).

I'm sure there's more that isn't coming to mind right now but any thoughts, experiences, or suggestions would be great as I work my way toward a decision.

Thank you!
I travel with two cats that don't always get along. They find their places in the trailer. They both sleep with me but seperated by the length of the bed. In the truck they have their own beds and sleep seperate sides of the trailer. If any of them mark territory they should not go.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:17 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Jasper , Georgia
We transported our two cats in the trailer. I got one of those
thermometers with the remote sensor. We kept the base unit in the tow
vehicle and the remote in the trailer. Then we knew for sure if the trailer was
getting too warm or cold. Put a litter box out and let them wander around
and find a comfortable spot.
We spent a few hours with them in the trailer while it was parked to get them
familiar with it. We thought one of them had snuck out, but he was hiding behind
the couch.

Old 03-25-2009, 01:09 PM   #17
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Only Two

We always take our two cats on trips that will take over two nights. They seem to enjoy it, lounging about anywhere that allows them to look out a window.

They are indoor cats; one is a Cornish Rex, and the other a Sphinx. They are both male cats, and while one cat loves the other, the affection is not returned.

In the AS we use one covered litter box, sightly smaller then either of the two we use at home. In the day the litter sits along side the queen bed, and at night it is under the dinette table. We use a clumping litter with a mild scent, and in addition sprinkle carpet deodorizer on top with every cleaning - which is cleaned nearly after every use. In front of the litter box is a grate thingy to catch escaping litter, but we also use a small battery sweeper to pick up litter from the floor.

Whether we will replace them when the time comes is an open question.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:37 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
weehawken , New Jersey
trailer temperature

How do you guys deal with the temperature issue-- getting too hot in the trailer?
Old 03-27-2009, 10:43 AM   #19
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
How do you guys deal with the temperature issue-- getting too hot in the trailer?
The cats lie low. I find them on the floor near the bed. Make sure they have lots of water.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:11 AM   #20
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post
The cats lie low. I find them on the floor near the bed. Make sure they have lots of water.
Marley, 10 years old, is a Sphinx, and Mr. Milo, 13 years old, is a Cornish Rex. Marley. although hairless, and really ugly, has grown a fair coat.

Both cats have only one layer of hair, no outer coat, and love the heat.

They seem to favor warm weather, and even with the temperature in the 90's they will usually be found laying in the sunlight streaming through the windows.

When the weather is warm, and we are parked both fans are on, one exhausting, and the other bringing air in. We also use a 14" diameter oscillating fan when it is really warm.

About the only time we turn on the AC is when the humidity is high.

SRW
Old 04-01-2009, 01:06 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
orlando , New Mexico, Utah, Colorado
Also please be careful, dogs will be dogs, cats will be cats and rats will be mice. I hope your cats keep your life free of pests (if not dump um), but don't let them become your neighbors menu.

WBCCI #3841
jacarape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:58 AM   #22
Rivet Master

A dog to keep them in line

One very large dog could keep all the cats in line while you are away from the trailer. I can see it now, 4 cats sitting on the sofa while the dogs on the floor looking up at them daring a single one of them to move!
Old 05-05-2009, 06:14 PM   #23

1974 Argosy 26
Tucson , Arizona
My '73 26' Argosy came with a sweet cat set-up and when I can call myself a full-timer, I'm hoping to get a buddy who can enjoy the feline comforts of the trailer.

Previous owners used part of the space under the rear right twin bed as a kind of cat cubby. This space has access to the outside, so previous owners made an outdoor enclosure that the cat(s?) could go in/out when camped. I don't have the enclosure, but I am confident that I can make something that will work - as I thought it seemed like a cool idea!

I'm glad to hear cats do so well on the road. I too was concerned about temps, so I'm pleased to hear it usually isn't a problem.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:39 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
I know this was a discussion started several months ago, but I thought I'd chime in! I haven't had the experience with the trailer yet, I'm in the process of buying, but I have been very familiar with animals aboard boats. I have two dogs and four cats. I don't usually boat with both dogs and cats simply because six is a lot, but in the car/will be the TV , I do travel often with all six up and down the east coast. Three cats are boys and they ride together in a large wire crate with hammocks wire-tied to the upper half and a bed andcovered litterbox below. Girl cat needs a little more personal space so she rides in a small wire crate on the third row seat. Dogs ride on the two second row seats or in the middle floor space. In the boat, the cats find spaces to hide in and occasionally come out to see us while underway. They come out when we stop. Litterbox is covered and cleaned at least 2x day. I have mats to help collect litter. Also a small broom and pan to sweep. Save all grocery bags for clumps. Although I like green products- I use a clumping pine litter, the fresh step scoop is probably the best for odor and less dust. You can also get those anti-odor eaters that come in little jar/cans. Oust spray works fast, and buy enzyme eating cleaners for any accidents. (natures miracle is one) Most pet stores and even the grocery store will have most items. Simple cat enclosures can be made from folding wire crates- take the pan out of the bottom and there's the ground/grass to chew. I'm leery of leashes unless you're there watching/protecting. If you're staying in one place for a while you probably can get one of those screen tents to erect outside of the trailer to provide a sheltered outdoor space!
Good luck and enjoy!
Old 12-02-2009, 10:09 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
We rescued a cat once and we really don't care for cats and never had owned one.
This cat turned out to be a Turkish Angora that was more dead than alive was all matted up and looked dirty brown when we found her. She was so matted she had to be shaved. Once cleaned up and $$$$ at the vet she was a most beautiful blue eyed white cat about 3 or 4 years old. It took a few months to get her health back but she did fully recover. No way to find for her owner as we were leaving in 3 days on a 500 mile extended stay trip. We figured she had somehow gotten out and lost.
She could have been on the street for a month or more. No notice in the paper of a lost cat.

We enjoyed the darn thing more that we should have. She hated to travel caged in the truck. She turned out to be an inside cat and never wanted to go outside in fact she never did go out.

As long as we were moving she was crying and she could cry as long as the wheels were rolling 6 to 8 hours probably longer and once we settled down and set up she would always disappear for a day or two and then just show up. Talk about hide, we never did find all her hide holes in fact we just stopped looking knowing she had not escaped and would turn up plus after the 1st night you could hear her wandering around or walking on top of you in the middle of the night after that she would be her old self.

I guess you can tell by now that she won our hearts and was great as long as you were not traveling. We eventually gave her to a good home (a friend of ours) since we traveled so much.

Oh yeah it seems to be important they (cats) get to look out windows to keep them content really good if they can lay down and look out.

My take is if they don't mind traveling and get along they can be interesting to have around. As far as placing the sandbox and food its not a big deal you soon find what works best and go with it.

I agree be sure to have their medical records with you we saw several different vets the first 3 or 4 months and had a good paper trail of her treatments.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:34 AM   #26
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
We became full-timers for seven months in 2007 as a couple with one elderly cat. With a 34' trailer there were plenty of options for l-box placement, and, had we kept the trailer, I would have modified the storage compartment beneath one twin bed for cat access/l-box/exterior ventilation. This would have required a fair amount of carpentry from original, so the project was shelved until a decision was made about keeping that particular trailer. It was sold.

As to traveling, because she was such a poor traveler some of the miles were with her in the trailer. But high heat and long days changed that.

I would say that high ambient exterior temperatures are the biggest problem of traveling with a cat, especially if you wish to leave the campsite for the majority of the day, sans cat. One must be confident of the A/C unit, the campground electrical system, etc.

The dependency on TT HVAC is paramount for safety. Exterior energy feeds can be critical.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:07 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Well I am glad you are taking care of your cats and hope everything works out well....!
Old 07-11-2010, 07:53 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
I have 4 cats. One does not really get along with everyone else-- this leads me to think that I would be insane to try to take them along in a trailer but...

Could anyone share how they deal with their cats?
Thank you!
We just returned from 3400 miles on the road over 4 1/2 weeks with our 3 cats. Oddly, while they tend to scrap at home, they get along fine in the trailer (28').

We carry two cats in carriers strapped in the back seat while our most seasoned traveler rides on the console between us. They sleep mostly when underway, so two could probably do OK in a carrier if they are not real big cats. We stop every couple of hours and give them a litter box break although they generally can go a whole morning or afternoon without using it.

We use one litter box with high-quality clumping litter and scoop it 3 times a day. They eat mostly dry food and share a small can of wet food morning and evening.

Except for an occasional odor (a can of fufu spray is always handy), they are no trouble. They sleep with us same as at home. I also keep a scratching block in the trailer that is well used.

If the temperature is no higher than 95, we can leave them in the trailer for meal stops with the two Fantastic fans on high, one blowing in and one pulling out. Over that temperature, one of us stays in the truck with them or else I use the remote start to keep the diesel idling. It will idle for 10 minutes at a time which is enough to run in and carry out a meal.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cats