Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2017, 08:43 PM   #21
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
I will leave my diesel run if it will only be a few minutes (no pets), normally when I can see it, and when re-fueling. I put a steering wheel club on it and lock the door with my key if I have to walk away from it. The key ring in the ignition does not hold the key for the club. I just don't like to shut it off on short runs and high temperatures. Also the turbo needs a good cooldown period after a hard run, shutting down a turbocharged engine without at least a minute or two of idling can result in oil coking on the bearings.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:11 PM   #22
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
And if your're worried about someone stealing it you could always get a trunk monkey

Old 09-27-2017, 10:27 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
We leave it running when it is hot and we are traveling with our dogs. Generally I park where I can see the truck, and always I go out and check on the dogs and check that the air conditioning is working every ten minutes or so. Sometimes its just a matter of practicality.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 03:19 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
Ford actually recommended that you park your vehicle outside and away from any structure if it was on one of the recall lists for 1. faulty ignition switch that can start fire or 2. faulty brake pressure switch that can start fire until you have had the repairs done. It was printed right on the recall notice I received in the mail.
I've seen them caused by leaves caught in the undercarriage, overheated catalyst from a misfire, and items left plugged in inside the car.

I've seen unattended junker cars with kids inside idling outside the grocery store. Amazing that the AC still works in some of the works of art I see on the road around here.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 03:51 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Beachburg , Ontario
I drove highway coaches for many years.
There where many times that coach was turned off just to fuel it.!!!
It was parked in directl sunlight and on grass, concrete, pavement etc
Never ever started a fire inside or outside the coach
Can you just imagine the war that woukd happen if the air conditioning was shut down when the outside temps went to 105 degrees or the heat was shut off at minus 40 degrees??

But then again the passengers where just humans, not pets
Old 09-28-2017, 05:54 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaValleyGuy View Post
I drove highway coaches for many years.
There where many times that coach was turned off just to fuel it.!!!
It was parked in directl sunlight and on grass, concrete, pavement etc
Never ever started a fire inside or outside the coach
Can you just imagine the war that woukd happen if the air conditioning was shut down when the outside temps went to 105 degrees or the heat was shut off at minus 40 degrees??

But then again the passengers where just humans, not pets
Yeah, semis and locomotives are left running for days too, but the OP asked about leaving a gas F150 running, not a bus or coach.

I don't judge, I just show up and put the fire out, then I go home.
Old 09-29-2017, 03:28 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Doesn't the Airstream have air conditioners? And a genny? Seems an easy answer to me.
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 04:39 PM   #28

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PammieSue View Post
Doesn't the Airstream have air conditioners? And a genny? Seems an easy answer to me.
If you're talking about one of the motorhomes, that's definitely a reasonable approach. However, for those of us with trailers, stopping en route at a truck stop or rest area for a brief time it's not practical to haul out and hook up a generator, wait for the interior of the Airstream to get to a reasonable temperature and put the dog back there. I also suspect that people who are afraid to leave the dog for 20 minutes in the truck with the engine running and AC on wouldn't trust their generator and Airstream AC for 20 minutes either.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 09:15 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2023 28' Pottery Barn
Brighton , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Living in Texas, we do this all the time when we travel with the dog in the summer. I don't usually let it sit around idling for an hour, but often for shorter 10-20 minute stints while going in for the bathroom or to pick something up in the convenience store after filling up, etc. As mentioned above, extended idling isn't beneficial to the vehicle but using it occasionally isn't going to cost you much. It gave me new appreciation for Ford's keyless entry keypad, too, though there are other ways to make it work if you don't have that, and newer pushbutton-start vehicles make it even easier though my new truck honks at me when I close the door from outside with the key in my pocket.

Thank you. We have the keyless-entry system.
KatMacz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 09:32 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
As the owner of an F-250 diesel, I’m not too worried about the safety aspect of leaving the engine running, but I am worried about somebody driving off with my truck, and the safety of my dog if somebody decides to do that. It's fairly difficult to lock the truck with the engine running. Can't pull the key out with the engine running, and pushing the lock button on the door panel or key doesn't work if the door is open with the engine on. What does work is carrying the spare key, which will lock the door with the engine running if the door is closed. Still, having the door locked only offers minimal protection against having the truck stolen if the engine is running, so I limit this to short trips, 20 minutes or less, where I can look out the store or restaurant window and see the truck for most of the time I’m inside. This is also a good idea in case some good samaritan would decide to break my window to free the dog. Hopefully they would look around first, which would give me time to rush outside and explain that the dog was more comfortable inside than either of us were outside.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 10:03 AM   #31

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post
As the owner of an F-250 diesel, I’m not too worried about the safety aspect of leaving the engine running, but I am worried about somebody driving off with my truck, and the safety of my dog if somebody decides to do that. It's fairly difficult to lock the truck with the engine running. Can't pull the key out with the engine running, and pushing the lock button on the door panel or key doesn't work if the door is open with the engine on. What does work is carrying the spare key, which will lock the door with the engine running if the door is closed. Still, having the door locked only offers minimal protection against having the truck stolen if the engine is running, so I limit this to short trips, 20 minutes or less, where I can look out the store or restaurant window and see the truck for most of the time I’m inside. This is also a good idea in case some good samaritan would decide to break my window to free the dog. Hopefully they would look around first, which would give me time to rush outside and explain that the dog was more comfortable inside than either of us were outside.
I guess you don't have the 5-button Ford "Keyless Entry" pad on your F250? My first vehicle with that feature was the '07 F150 I bought when I bought our first Argosy, and that works REALLY well for the purpose. Just hit the "7-8" and "9-0" buttons after you close the door and it'll lock the truck, then enter your code to unlock when you return. I thought it was a gimmicky thing before I got used to having it on the truck. Even now with the new pushbutton-start truck I use the keyless entry pad if I don't happen to have the key in my pocket when I need something out of the truck.

Oh, and if the "good Samaritan" can't tell a Powerstroke is running and they're not hearing-impaired, they may not be smart enough to look around for the truck's owner either. I knew the new ones are WAY quieter than a 7.3 but it still ain't no Tesla!

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 10:15 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
I have a remote start on my F250. If shuts down after 10 mins. Allows us to be in a restaurant and turn on the truck to cool things down, or warm things up, a bit. In the winter, I start the truck a couple of times to soften the snow and ice. Has a block heater too and I plug in when we expect temps to fall into the single digits. Sorry, I digress. Yes, I will idle my truck. Usually less that 40 mins tops.

2017 25' Safari FBQ - “Fly Fish Inn
2023 F150 XLT
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 01:00 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Quote:
I guess you don't have the 5-button Ford "Keyless Entry" pad on your F250? My first vehicle with that feature was the '07 F150 I bought when I bought our first Argosy, and that works REALLY well for the purpose. Just hit the "7-8" and "9-0" buttons after you close the door and it'll lock the truck, then enter your code to unlock when you return. I thought it was a gimmicky thing before I got used to having it on the truck. Even now with the new pushbutton-start truck I use the keyless entry pad if I don't happen to have the key in my pocket when I need something out of the truck.

Oh, and if the "good Samaritan" can't tell a Powerstroke is running and they're not hearing-impaired, they may not be smart enough to look around for the truck's owner either. I knew the new ones are WAY quieter than a 7.3 but it still ain't no Tesla!
Thanks for the tip! Just tried it and it works great!

As for the "good samaritan," remember, this is California. Now that people are allowed to break your window if they think your dog is in distress, I wouldn't be surprised if someone broke my window because they thought that Lupe looked lonely inside all by herself.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 11:49 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Quote:
Originally Posted by PammieSue

Quote:
If you're talking about one of the motorhomes, that's definitely a reasonable approach. However, for those of us with trailers, stopping en route at a truck stop or rest area for a brief time it's not practical to haul out and hook up a generator, wait for the interior of the Airstream to get to a reasonable temperature and put the dog back there. I also suspect that people who are afraid to leave the dog for 20 minutes in the truck with the engine running and AC on wouldn't trust their generator and Airstream AC for 20 minutes either.
Are you saying that Airstream trailers don't have the genny installed like the mohos do? That seems very odd. But for myself and my boyfriend the extra time necessary to cool it down for our animals is a non-issue no-brainer. We're retired and living on our own time, no problem waiting for the Airstream to cool down. Our two cats Chibi and KatyCat, and our dog Turbo mean everything to us.

It is possible to travel with the Airstream's windows open, we do. We only close them for dust, a very hard rain, or when temperatures are at either extreme. Open windows are not as cool as air conditioning, but it's better than a hot stuffy Airstream and will be easier to cool down when the air conditioning is turned on.
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 03:49 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post
Thanks for the tip! Just tried it and it works great!

As for the "good samaritan," remember, this is California. Now that people are allowed to break your window if they think your dog is in distress, I wouldn't be surprised if someone broke my window because they thought that Lupe looked lonely inside all by herself.
i don't walk through parking lots peeping into people's cars, but hopefully "samaritans" remember you have to contact emergency services FIRST before breaking into someone's vehicle.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:06 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
i don't walk through parking lots peeping into people's cars, but hopefully "samaritans" remember you have to contact emergency services FIRST before breaking into someone's vehicle.
Traveling in the summer we never leave our cats without the engine and a/c going. I have an extra set of keys so the truck can be locked. This is only during short lunch breaks.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:19 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I like Bob Cross’s answer.
Bill M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:26 PM   #38
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Leaving the engine running

Say what you want about Tesla but our model 3 has this problem solved with pet mode....

And sentry mode records anyone approaching / near / touching / making sounds around the vehicle using the exterior cameras so you can see who is checking in on the pets....

https://youtu.be/CF3iVqUQhIs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1002.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	342604  
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote